Talk

Advanced search

Best red hair dye?

(7 Posts)
purplepenguin86 Sat 22-Mar-14 03:28:22

Hi,
I need to dye my hair red and was wondering if anyone can recommend a home hair colour? My hair is naturally a mid brown and doesn't have any colour on it, and I don't want to bleach it first. It doesn't need to be fire engine red, but it does need to be obviously red rather than a reddish brown.
Thanks

Rockchick1984 Sat 22-Mar-14 08:07:23

I use a superdrug own brand, they have a few different shades and are about £5 for 2 boxes. They are definitely red but look (relatively) natural.

Ilovecoodomol Sat 22-Mar-14 09:13:41

If you want something with a bit more colour Livecolour XXL's are vibrant, but beware, they are so good that if you get fed up and want to try something different they are a nightmare to cover. Red is a lovely colour but hard to keep, I was just too lazy to maintain it and gave my hairdresser the job of darkening it down. He ended up swearing at me. Red in general can be hard to cover but the XXL range is especially hard for some reason.

purplepenguin86 Sat 22-Mar-14 12:03:50

Thanks. How true to the box do the XX live colours come out? I'm not too worried about being able to cover it as my hair is short so if I'm bored of it in a few months I can go a bit shorter to cut it out. It's for a show I'm doing, so it needs to be obviously red rather than just a red tint.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 22-Mar-14 12:17:55

Ooh Rock which shade in Superdrug?

I'd love a good red/auburn (my hair is mid/dark brown but I don't want to be pillar-box) grin

Rockchick1984 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:05:23

I use this one and it's not as red as it looks on the box, definitely a red/auburn shade.

RevoltingPeasant Sat 22-Mar-14 18:01:20

Garnier Olia in Deep Red or Intense Red.

About 7 pounds for a box and mild, no ammonia, so less likely to have a bad reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now