Talk

Advanced search

Purple dress with red shoes??

(22 Posts)
normaleggy Sat 22-Mar-14 00:35:58

I have a party tomorrow night and I really want to wear a dark purple dress that I have but would I be crazy to wear it with red shoes? The only other alternative is black shoes but that looks a bit dull. I have no time or money to buy anything else, any thoughts?

KristinaM Sat 22-Mar-14 01:04:17

Red sounds good to me

Financeprincess Sat 22-Mar-14 01:10:59

I like colour but the purple/ red combo gets a thumbs down from me. It will look as if you got dressed in the dark. Dress sounds lovely, and black shoes will not be boring with it.

McFox Sat 22-Mar-14 01:18:04

No to red, you'll look like walking bruise. Go with the black instead.

WandaDoff Sat 22-Mar-14 01:22:26

My Mum used to say "Red shoes, no knickers!".

I have no idea why but thats what immediately came to mind reading the title. <helpful>

Bearleigh Sat 22-Mar-14 05:33:03

I think it sounds great. Red and purple look good together: think of Princess Diana by the Taj Mahal. Black would be dull. Could you bring it all together with a necklace with some red in it? I have some red shoes and get so many compliments on them.

RalphRecklessCardew Sat 22-Mar-14 05:50:26

Depends on the purple and the red, but it can look great.

KristinaM Sat 22-Mar-14 07:35:25

I think that many potentially very interesting dresses are rendered deeply boring by wearing them with the ubiquitous black tights and shoes .

MelanieCheeks Sat 22-Mar-14 07:37:07

It could work - depends on the style and actual colours.

What tights?

missmagnum Sat 22-Mar-14 07:50:00

When the right shades, it's a great colour combination, go for it. I actually wore a purple top and red shoes last night, much better than boring black!

50ShadesOfMaybe Sat 22-Mar-14 07:51:47

I just googled purple dress red shoes. A lot of ladies seem to carry it off.

Maybe add a red accessory (earrings, necklace, belt, bag?) to balance the red shoes?

LadyMud Sat 22-Mar-14 10:13:28

Sorry, but I'm reminded of THAT POEM wink

normaleggy Sat 22-Mar-14 10:22:50

Hmm...mixed reaction, I was hoping you'd all say yes! I think some of those pictures look great. I tend to wear quite a lot of black normally and I have to wear black shoes to work, so they don't really feel like going out shoes. I think just nude tights, don't want to wear black ones.

normaleggy Sat 22-Mar-14 10:24:03

I also have a black or a navy dress I could wear which both work with the shoes so all is not lost, just really fancied wearing the purple one as it is more flattering.

NearTheWindymill Sat 22-Mar-14 10:27:42

I think you can - I have a purple coat with a red and purple lining and a red scarf looks very nice with it; I didn't think it would but it does.

weirdthing Sat 22-Mar-14 10:30:41

I'd do the purple dress and red shoes but I'd bring it together with a red bag/or red earrings/necklace or something - even red lips. I think it'd look great. I am, however, an old goth so possibly not the most stylish of people.

ClownsLeftJokersRight Sat 22-Mar-14 10:32:30

Yes depends on the actual colours but the ones I'm thinking of (quite deep definite shades) work!

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 22-Mar-14 10:44:13

I don't personally like red and purple together (I prefer purple and orange, for example) but I guess it depends on the shades and individual colourings

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 22-Mar-14 10:44:47

But completely agree black shoes would be dullsville!

Nocomet Sat 22-Mar-14 10:44:47

I have a dress (weddings for the use of) that has magenta purple and red flowers. I wear a magenta pashmina and red shoes and it's fine.

Basically if it's a reddish purple or a really pure Royal purple it can work, violet or wine colour won't.

And if you can add a touch of red some where else great

normaleggy Sat 22-Mar-14 12:23:02

It's quite a deep plum colour and the shoes are not quite pillar box red but close to it.

Megbeth Sat 22-Mar-14 13:58:56

I don't like it. I saw some photos of a friend I used to work with. It was her wedding pictures. She had a strapless purple dress with a sort of bow & red shoes & a red hair band. I thought it looked terrible. I couldn't understand why she choose to wear that for her wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now