Talk

Advanced search

Would this be a suitable dress for a wedding?

(19 Posts)
Cotherstone Fri 21-Mar-14 21:07:00

Finding this wedding a bit of a nightmare to buy for! DP will be in black tie as a groomsman - and the bride works in fashion and has a beautiful Temperley wedding dress.

I think overall I'll be happier all day in a dress I feel comfortable in and that I feel is flattering rather than something which is overly 'weddingy', if that makes sense.

I'm 5'1 and an 8-10, and surprisingly soft around the edges with that, so I need something that will help with a squidgy stomach (when you're short, empire line etc does nothing to hide a stomach, sadly!)

What do you think of this? I really love the shape and think it could be flattering?

(And if anyone is looking, what could possibly be wrong with this to make it be reduced so much?

concernednc2014 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:23:26

They're both lovely (helpful I know) think I do prefer the first one though - but the second one is lovely too! Must resist the urge to buy the second one!! Great reductionblush

Cotherstone Fri 21-Mar-14 21:24:52

Why the reduction? It always worries me when it's been reduced that much, but it is a nice summery dress for a wedding!

Dark and formal worries me for a wedding, but it is a nice dress...

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 21:25:22

I think the second one could make anyone under 6' look dumpy (hence reduction )

The first is lovely, but get it in navy not black

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Mar-14 21:29:08

I love the first one and think it would really flatter a small frame. Yy to navy, not black.

Don't like the second one at all.

concernednc2014 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:29:47

I know that is a concern - I always think the same when I see something with a massive reduction (especially if I'd got it at full price!!) The first one is gorgeous though if you're unsure on the second.

Cotherstone Fri 21-Mar-14 21:30:03

Good point, it might very well look too baggy.

I think what's worrying me about the first one is that I used to wear 'younger' dresses to weddings, I'm just accepting that I'm in my mid-thirties and it is fine to wear something smart much more formal to an all-day wedding grin

eurochick Fri 21-Mar-14 21:31:28

They're both nice but I think the first one is more elegant. And I agree with families about the risk of looking dumpy in the second.

CMP69 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:32:11

They are both lovely. I prefer the first one but wouldn't personally wear black to a wedding (not the done thing in Ireland) in another colour that would be my choice grin

MiconiumHappens Fri 21-Mar-14 21:34:33

Another vote for the first one. Second also nice but doesn't have as much wow factor.

Cotherstone Fri 21-Mar-14 21:35:25

I'd definitely get navy, agree black isn't really appropriate. I'm glad other people think it would work on a petite frame, I do struggle a lot for evening dresses, and I worried it was too formal rather than just elegant. The problem is often the bust is too small but at £90 I'd pay a seamstress another £20 to take in the sleeves/shoulders if it is too cleavage-y.

What shoes would people wear with it?

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 21:50:57

Silver?

Cotherstone Fri 21-Mar-14 21:53:07

Silver shoes could work. I don't want to spend much though as I know by the time the evening do starts I'll have given up and changed into ballet flat blush But it would be nice to wear decent shoes for at least the wedding.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 21:53:09

Orange?

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 21:54:08

sandals?

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 21:55:13

Or Middleton nude platforms

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 21:55:59

How much to spend, size, narrow / wide?

Cotherstone Fri 21-Mar-14 22:00:40

Size 3 or 4, and I'd prefer something I could wear tights with as I'm as pale as a Dove bar! If they're dressy shoes in an unusual colour than I'd probably only spend £20 or so, if I could wear them for work then I'd go up to £50.

Shoes are always my downfall at a wedding!

I do already own a pair of shoes quite like these, could they work with a nice grey/silver clutch?

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 21-Mar-14 22:20:59

Yes, I think those would be lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now