Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on this Dress, please.

(23 Posts)
polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 18:50:23

Have to get a lovely dress for my DS's engagement party - evening drinks, etc at posh London club. Not till June but I like to plan, specially as I'm limited by my dress size (and fussiness/ discrimination) in choice of places to shop.

Not desperate yet, and plenty of options still to look at, but have posted a possibility on my profile (I hope) to ask for views.

Unfortunately, other dresses in background are a bit distracting. it's silk and would be made to fit me exactly. Even if anyone likes it in general, does the black make it a bit un-summery??

TIA.

DaftSkunk Fri 21-Mar-14 18:53:42

I can't see the photo on your profile, have you made it public?

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 18:55:06

I have now!!

Puddles1234 Fri 21-Mar-14 18:57:04

I love the colour but I do think the black makes it look harsh almost. However I suppose its evening drinks so it will look lovely.

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 19:06:58

I know what you mean and certainly wouldn't wear black all over, but I think/ hope it helps minimise my large bust.

TacitusMouse Fri 21-Mar-14 19:29:47

I think it's lovely especially if it's silk with that pattern

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 19:36:10

Thanks. Funny coincidence, btw, TacitusMouse - I'm just preparing a lesson on Tacitus!

frumpet Fri 21-Mar-14 21:26:25

Really sorry but i don't like the black half , love the bottom half though .

Latraviata Fri 21-Mar-14 21:34:06

Its a bit meh really.

DoItTooJulia Fri 21-Mar-14 21:35:42

Post it here!

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 22:27:48

Yes, good idea to post it but don't know how I'm afraid.
The photo is one I took on my phone and I haven't worked out how to post those except on profile. Sorry!

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 23:32:31

Bump for any further views please.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Fri 21-Mar-14 23:38:57

Mmm, I don't love it either - the black doesn't "blend" with the rest of the dress. It does look a bit harsh.

MerryInthechelseahotel Fri 21-Mar-14 23:40:47

I think it's lovely. I'm posting it for you here smile

ExcuseTypos Fri 21-Mar-14 23:41:16

I think the black is a bit harsh too. It could be boiling hot in June though it probably won't be and you'll feel rather hot in black.

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 23:49:25

Thanks so much for posting it. Yes those are the sort of worries I'd had about the black element.

polyhymnia Fri 21-Mar-14 23:53:08

As each dress is made specifically for the wearer , I could ask the lovely woman who designs them if it could be made with much less of the black element I guess.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sat 22-Mar-14 06:25:13

Who is it made by? Have you heard of / looked at Lisa Redman dresses? She does bespoke and is in London.

BumWad Sat 22-Mar-14 06:30:25

I like it

DoItTooJulia Sat 22-Mar-14 07:00:52

I don't hate it, but I think that there are better dresses out there!

LadyMud Sat 22-Mar-14 11:46:22

I love the skirt fabric, but not sure that black "goes" with it. Could you have it made with a different dark top? Perhaps navy or dark teal or dark purple?

Personally I would go for a sleeveless V-neck dress (or top/skirt combo) in that lovely fabric, with a dark silk short-sleeved jacket as a cover-up. That would give you various Mix & Match options in the future.

polyhymnia Sat 22-Mar-14 11:50:11

LadyMud, that idea sounds lovely - will explore.

polyhymnia Sat 22-Mar-14 11:55:29

PS Will also check out Lisa Redman. Thanks, Belinda.

Dress is actually from here:
www.drapiere.com/ , which I first saw recommended on MN.

Have to say, a lot of the day etc dresses shown on their site at the moment are not as nice as what you can get if you go into the studio and choose fabric and designs yourself. And the one I posted isn't yet on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now