Talk

Advanced search

Blonde highlights to light brown - Possible?

(10 Posts)
TiffanyAtBreakfast Fri 21-Mar-14 18:28:39

Hellooo, any hairdressers or hair buffs out there? Just looking for some advice - I've got a full head of honeyish blonde highlighted hair, but I'm going off it. It all looks like a block colour, has no shine really and is a bit yellow toned for my skin. I look much better with a golden, browny blonde but obviously there's no easy way to go back to this now (so my hairdresser tells me?)

I've tried purple/blue shampoos but they're only a short term fix. To be honest I think I want to dye it all back to my natural dirty blonde / light brown - Considering buying a home dye kit. I've done a bit of research online and people are saying that you have to dye your hair with reddy tones first and then add the brown - that scares me a bit.

Has anyone just used a packet dye of light brown over blonde highlights? I'm nervous about my hair as have spent so much time and money on blonde for about 7 years, and if my hair doesn't look nice afterwards I know I'll absolutely kick myself for ruining it.

My ideal would be a dark blonde with lighter strands (balayage style) but again hairdresser has said it's not possible sad

Thanks in advance!

southeastastra Fri 21-Mar-14 18:29:27

why can't they just put a toner on it? i have this and it looks nice

hashtagwhatever Fri 21-Mar-14 18:31:54

Would adding more low lights gradually not work?.
I have gone from blonde to brown and back a few times have always used a semi red before the brown though.

hashtagwhatever Fri 21-Mar-14 18:34:28

My hair is currently this colour. Similar to what you are after?

TiffanyAtBreakfast Fri 21-Mar-14 18:35:03

Thanks for the replies - I'll suggest the low lights! Would a toner not just fade back to blonde? I had one once when I was trying to give my hair a rest and it faded out after a few washes.

TiffanyAtBreakfast Fri 21-Mar-14 18:35:36

That's a really pretty colour hashtagwhatever!

southeastastra Fri 21-Mar-14 19:29:18

my toner always lasted a while. i also had low/highlights for a while but the re-growth always looked pretty bad.

now i have a root lift colour and the rest is tinted to the same colour. i would def go to hairdressers as some packet dyes can pretty much ruin your hair and you're left with it until it grows out. hairdressers use much kinder tints and can put on treatments etc to make the hair in better condition.

TiffanyAtBreakfast Sat 22-Mar-14 00:44:35

Thanks southeast, will just have to save up a little and go to the hairdressers!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 22-Mar-14 07:24:47

Change your hair dresser! Of course you can correct high lighted hairconfused

It can be done with an all over dye or the high lights broken up with low lights. I've had both done successfully.

SarahBeenysBumblingApprentice Sat 22-Mar-14 07:27:28

I went from very highlighted blonde hair to light brown at the hairdressers this year. It was fine! I believe that there has to be a red tone in it so your blonde doesn't go green grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now