Talk

Advanced search

I am a fat frump!!!

(20 Posts)
aylesburyduck Fri 21-Mar-14 17:01:50

Am utterly depressed - just got home from shopping for a bridesmaid dress. We have found a gorgeous dress but trying on dresses has knocked my self image hugely.

I have lost nearly 9 stone, and usually wear an 18/20 so was feeling quite slim (for me anyway...) but now my emerging confidence massively.

I was trying on dresses that were a 22 and most of them wouldn't go anywhere near me. I have got a 22 but how is it that one 22 fits and another one in a similar style from the same range is a million miles from fitting? <sigh>

Apologies for the rant sad

BelindaAllWorkedOut Fri 21-Mar-14 17:06:44

Oh, Aylesbury, it really happens to EVERYONE regardless of their size. I'm not paying too much attention to size numbers as they are so so inconsistent. What an incredible achievement to lose 9 stone - well done!! Hopefully you are back home wearing something you like and look good in. I did NOT enjoy my bridesmaid or bridal dress shopping. Possibly, also, as it's just not the style of clothing I normally wear. Hope you feel cheerier soon.

yegodsandlittlefishes Fri 21-Mar-14 17:06:53

Who are you calling a fat frump, dont you dare call our aylesburyduck a fat frump, stop that now!

You have lost 9 stone? <faints>

Try a different dress shop and a different fabric and different designs. Someone will come and tell us the names of the more flattering cuts/designs (I've forgotten). Consider having your dress made

ishouldcocoa Fri 21-Mar-14 17:07:33

Firstly, Aylesbury - congratulations for losing nearly 9 stone! You should be so, so proud of yourself thanks

Sizes and styles vary so much from shop to shop. I'm a 16/18 size, but a 14 in Jaeger (when I can afford the sales!), a 16 in M&S and at least an 18 practically everywhere else I go!

I also make my own clothes and the patterns that you buy have really skewed sizes... I'm a 24. I just close my eyes and ignore ignore...

Suggest you cut the label out of your bridesmaid dress and go and have one helluva party!

Piscivorus Fri 21-Mar-14 17:12:35

Be kind to yourself! You are not a fat frump, you are a victim of the knobheads who make women's clothes.

I am still larger than you are (I have lost 3 1/2 stone though) and, although I bought my first size 18 recently, I had to buy a size 24 in a different make. It's not us, it's them that's wrong!

Well done on your weight loss thanks I am very jealous envy

aylesburyduck Fri 21-Mar-14 17:34:23

Thank you for your comments, I guess the big girl inside is still struggling.

Have just tried it on at home for my OH who said it is lovely (to be fair, it is bloody gorgeous) and that I need to remember just how far I've come. Sometimes I forget...smile

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Fri 21-Mar-14 17:48:08

Oh god aylesbury - this reminds me of going bridesmaid shopping and thinking I would get into a 16 and having trouble with a 20.
And of course I was with the v skinny bride and 2 other size 12s, I still remember them expecting me to come out and twirl and I refused as I couldn't get the zip up and wanted to cry. Sorry that probably doesn't help! All I can say is that once we'd found a good style, we all looked amazing in the photos.

And congrats on the 9 stone - you are doing amazingly well smile

yegodsandlittlefishes Fri 21-Mar-14 18:04:21

Sorry, I misted over at the fat frump bit and missed that youve already got the dress. He likes it, and it's gorgeous. You just need to know inside that YOU are gorgeous too.

TacitusMouse Fri 21-Mar-14 19:46:45

9 Stone! Wow that's brilliant smile
Clothes sizes mean nothing it's better to be in a larger 'size' if they so designate it to be that size and look fabulous then squeeze into something just beacuse of the size of the label

I'm sure you look lovely

juneybean Fri 21-Mar-14 19:49:55

Bridesmaids dresses are always ridiculously small. You lost 9 stone! That's awesome!

TheJumped Fri 21-Mar-14 20:45:03

Yes brides' and bridesmaids' dresses are always ridiculously tiny, my wedding dress was 2 sizes bigger than I would have liked. If any day you need vanity sizing it's your bloody wedding day!

frumpet Fri 21-Mar-14 21:23:39

I looked like a giagantic boiled sweet in my bridesmaid dress , didnt actually care because the bride was my favorite person in the whole widey world and she looked fabulous . Obviously there is no photographic evidence on the internet so only my friend can access the photos of my confectionary self !

9 stone , got to say it again , 9 stone , shit a brick Mrs that is fucking brilliant , wish i had an ounce of your superior will power and determination , although God only knows what i would rest my wine glass on if i did wink

Pumpkinette Fri 21-Mar-14 21:38:51

I agree with the previous comment. Bridesmaids dresses are always labeled small. When I was a bridesmaid a couple of years ago the girl in the shop said most dresses will need to size up 1 -2 sizes bigger than your normal size. I was a size 14 at the time and had to get a size 18 with slight alteration.
Please don't be hard in yourself it's only a number and so long as you feel good about the way you normaly look then that's all that matters. Congratulations on the 9 stone weight loss.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 21-Mar-14 21:54:26

9 stone, you've lost 9 stoneshock That's brilliantthanks

Bridesmaids dresses are like wedding dresses, they have a sizing system like nowhere else! I'm sure you will look fabulous.

Congratulations on the amazing weight losssmile

Maverick66 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:03:44

9 stone OMG Respect!

aylesburyduck Sat 22-Mar-14 09:59:35

Thank you so much for all your comments, I can't tell you how much they have meant.

And thank you also for your comments on my weight loss. It has certainly been hard work, and I'm sure all of you appreciate that there are times when you feel like giving up but my advice is just keep going.

Thanks again

xx

underactivethyroidmum Sat 22-Mar-14 11:00:39

I wish I had the willpower to loose 9 lb let alone 9 stone !!! What a fantastic achievement you should be very proud of yourself envy

Rosebag Sat 22-Mar-14 11:25:16

Echo respect. When I got married my best friend, who was my matron of honour was worried about her size generally, and pregnant also. Even the biggest size of bridesmaid dress was ridiculous. I wouldn't have fitted in to it and I was a size 10-12 at the time…I kid you not! We matched the fabric and had a dress made for her in keeping with the other dresses worn by the younger bridesmaids but flattering and comfortable. She looked great and I was proud to have her in my bridal party. If the dress is gorgeous, you will be gorgeous wearing it. You just need to believe it.

curiousuze Sat 22-Mar-14 16:11:57

Well done on losing all that weight aylesbury, that is incredible!

Please don't worry about label sizes - my sister works/has worked for a few different fashion designers and she says the sizing is all over the place and they make it up as they go along. Just try things on and wear what fits, ignore the number because it's bollocks! I've got from size 8 to size 14 in my wardrobe and they all fit me, it's nuts.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sat 22-Mar-14 16:15:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now