Talk

Advanced search

How do I get away with not blow drying my hair everyday?

(37 Posts)
bouquetofpencils Fri 21-Mar-14 14:46:20

I wash my hair everyday. If I don't it looks horrendous, lank, heavy, oily, and I can't do anything with it to make it look nice. I have tried dry shampoos but my hair then feels awful, like rigid straw.

I don't mind washing it daily as I prefer to shower everyday and it only takes a couple of minutes.

The real faff and time comes from blow drying it.

I have fine fair straight hair currently chin length with side swept fringe and long layers.

I do not look good with long hair (too fine) and due to ahem largish ears ponytails/up do's are not my friend.

If I let it dry naturally it looks very thin and wispy.

So I am stuck with drying and styling it everyday.

Please can you help me if you have any tips that can help me get away without blow drying?

RaisinGirls Fri 21-Mar-14 14:55:47

You should try and persevere with not washing it every day. Your hair will adjust - its probably getting over stimulated at the moment which is why it looks lank etc if you don't wash it every day. I'd move to every other day and then every third day. Use a shower cap on the days when you don't wash it. Your hair should keep it's style better too, with you just needing to do a quick style fix each morning.

bouquetofpencils Fri 21-Mar-14 15:17:27

Thank you Raisin. I am 40 this year and have never been able to get my hair to go more than a day.
I think that possibly might be easier with thicker hair? But with fine hair it just looks dreadful unwashed.

Quangle Fri 21-Mar-14 15:20:33

watching with interest! I have the same hair - I don't mind styling it once every couple of days but literally a day after blowdrying it it's gone back to its rubbish look. How do people get it to set? I have a friend (posh!) who goes to the hairdresser for a blowdry two or three times a week and it lasts in between times. That's the bit I don't get - how do you make it last?

I have fine hair, only wash it every other day (sometimes less).

The big secret is silicone free shampoo or other shampoo that does not leave any residue. I use the herbal essences silicon free (green top,myellow shampoo) or Aussie everyday mega shampoo.

No conditioner.

I dry it naturally, then style with straigtening iron when almost dry( but not dead straight but at an angle so it slightly goes in or out), takes 3 mins.

Also, using handcream, then touching your hair= greasy hair.

Using a bit of hairspray after styling means it holds until the next day.

sugar4eva Fri 21-Mar-14 15:51:12

I have thick hair but similar issue of it looking bad on day two . I can put it up but you said you can't so here is a tip that I have worked out for day two we. Want to wear down....I have a baby kiss big hair and I use this on just quickly dampened - very very slightly indeed -hair And use it as a quick finish off tool . It may work for you? Good luck ..

bouquetofpencils Fri 21-Mar-14 16:29:33

Love these replies. Will try all tips.

I do have Aussie Moisture shampoo but will look for Aussie Mega.

No conditioner. Air dry. Straighteners.

Need to get a decent shower cap.

If brave enough - Day 2: Lightly dampen. I have a large barrelled "hot brush" device which blows hot air already - pretty same concept to babyliss big hair I think.

I currently use Elnett hair protection spray. Any tips for styling products out there? Mousses are too heavy for my fine hair and I prefer sprays as they are quicker and no icky stuff on hands then.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Fri 21-Mar-14 16:32:24

Have you tried dry shampoo? I find that eeks out another day (or two-slob that I am) from a blow dry.

FrankCarsonsDressingRoom Fri 21-Mar-14 16:58:23

Its sounding over washed, really, if you can break through that slickly stage, it would do your hair a lot of good.

Secondly, straighteners are terrible for hair and for fine hair even worse especially as they flatten the shaft. My sister has v fine hair, straightened it for years and its really really thin now.

Thirdly, have you thought about taking biotin, which is a fantastic hair supplement. Prevents shedding, so over a few weeks you hair will feel thicker.

Fwiw, I have thick hair, it's also bsl. I handle it as little as possible. Ie wash every four days, blow dry every other time, run argan oil through the ends each time I wash it, and brush it once a day. I also take a biotin supplement.

CointreauVersial Sat 22-Mar-14 00:54:48

Dry shampoo! Gives fine hair a bit of oomph and should make it last a couple of days between washes.

StephenKatz Sat 22-Mar-14 08:20:06

I have the same hair as you OP. Luckily I can tie my hair back so on non wash days I dry shampoo and tie back (no way could I get away with loose hair) I've tried all the advice going to avoid daily washing, and persevered for a long time, but unfortunately my hair is just naturally fine and greasy and nothing's going to change that.

I either
- wash my hair, style
- only wash the front section (side fringe) dry shampoo the rest and tie back
- wash the night before and put in sleep rollers. This is time consuming in the evenings though and obviously sleep isn't quite so comfortable.

FrugalFashionista Sat 22-Mar-14 09:44:11

I did the Garance Dore this spring and had my normally chin/shoulder-length bob cut much shorter (a modified Vidal Sassoon type cut, but not as short as Garance's). I have fine hair and have relied on blow-drying and hot styling, but over the years that has fried my hair and the ends were distinctly wispy and crunchy.

The new cut is a revelation - I can shower and then I just quickly dry it, absolutely no hot styling needed. (And I have tons of stuff for it that I no longer need <sigh>) The only styling product my hairdresser suggested was Anti-Gravity by Kevin Murphy. Consult with a good hairdresser. All I need now is a maintenance cut every six weeks wink

bouquetofpencils Sat 22-Mar-14 11:28:48

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Frugal that looks divine. I would love a really short pixie cut but my largish ears would render it comical.

Katz, shower cap ordered, just washing fringe is something I never thought of. Might be able to get away with it.

Cointreau, or anyone else out there, which dry shampoo is best? I have batiste but it doesn't look great on me.

pancakedayiscoming Sat 22-Mar-14 11:31:18

I sympathise, my hair lasts a day and a half, so I never finish the second day feeling confident about my hair and often put it up in a clip, just to eek out the second day.

nonameisgoodname Sat 22-Mar-14 11:34:40

There are quite a few different batiste ones. I find some work better than others on my hair. Their texturising powder is very good.

Could you wash hair and shower in the evening, and then style the following morning. I often do this, but my hair is the opposite (very thick) so may not work for you.

CointreauVersial Sat 22-Mar-14 19:16:34

I use Batiste for brunettes, as it minimises the "powdery" look.

TBH, I haven't tried any other brands because it works for me and it's cheap.

TheGrassIsSinging Sat 22-Mar-14 20:47:39

On the days I cant be arsed to wash and blow dry my hair, I spritz with Elnett hairspray, use velcro rollers on the top layer, leave for 5 mins while I do my make-up, then take out rollers and run my fingers through.

FabMum1 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:38:06

I totally understand. If I don't wash my hair n style it, it looks awful.

I now find I tie my hair back everyday, it's the only thing I can do. I don't always have the time to wash n dry it, so a ponytail is my quick option. Even though it's totally boring n looks boring too.

I've tried dry shampoo, but find it makes my hair look too powdery n I don't like that.

I'm looking for 'the answer' to smile

KirstyJC Sat 22-Mar-14 21:41:31

I just wash my fine shoulder length hair every other day. On other days I just wet the fringe and move it out of the way when I wash my face, then either wear it up or just burn the grease off with straighteners!grin

It doesn't get greasy though, just kinks out in places it shouldn't.

I would def try not to wash it every day, it will adjust.

RevoltingPeasant Sat 22-Mar-14 22:03:04

OP I also have fine hair. I have switched to washing every other day and it does make a difference if you persevere!

I second the advice about sulfate free products. Loreal do some which you can get in supermarkets, or Wella in salons which is my preference.

For styling, I use Sebastian Mitchell, Thickefy formulation. It is light, doesn't weigh my hair down, and lasts foreeeeeever which is a good job as it is not cheap!!

pippop1 Sat 22-Mar-14 22:22:51

Some say a silk pillowcase is good. Absorbs any grease and apparently you wake up with a wrinkle free face. Worth a go?

bouquetofpencils Sun 23-Mar-14 12:15:37

I am loving all these tips and it is good to know I am not only one!

FreeButtonBee Sun 23-Mar-14 13:04:49

I have grease ball hair but it is much improved at the moment.

I use hairfix pre hair cleanse once a week. This is a non foaming cleanser that strips off all the gunk. It is awesome.

Then I use Philip Kingsley itchy scalp shampoo - but I have scalp issues and this is my holy grail product.

Conditioner, I have just started using lee Stafford oily roots, dry ends conditioner. It is a bit smelly but seems to do the trick. Brush through conditioner with a tangle geezer hair brush.

For styling, I have finally come around to hair oil. I KNOW. Sounds insane. But actually it seems to balance my hair out nicely. A few spritzed on wet hair and then blow dry. I use a l'oreal one for fine hair I think. Was a tenner and will last until the end of all time at the rate I use it.

I get two days out of this and sometimes even get day three if I wear it up and wash my fringe. With dry shampoo, sadly it is trial and error. I find the baptiste XXL one good (not the ordinary one). You really need to hold it fair away from your head and massage in well before brushing out. Too close and it is a powdery mess.

My hair under this is better than it has ever been grease wise.

seasonallyconfused Sun 23-Mar-14 15:18:49

Hi OP I have fine greasy hair and sticky out ears. Not fair! I sometimes wear a headband over my ears when I can't be bothered to wash my hair but I do always feel crap without clean hair.

Chottie Sun 23-Mar-14 18:12:45

I have thin fine hair too. I use a silk pillow case, it polishes my hair, stops it sticking out overnight. I get unwanted bed head hair otherwise. I wash my hair every other day and rotate between Philip Kingsley, Liz Earle and Keratese shampoos and conditioners. I use PK scalp mask and deep conditioner once a week too. My hair is delicate and I ask for a gentle massage and washing and combing at the hairdressers. I also ensure that foils are soaked off when I have highlights done.

In case any hairdressers are thinking what a precious person ?!? I would say it's my hair, I ask very politely with a smile and I tip well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now