Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flattering bold lip colour?

(18 Posts)
Walnut8 Fri 21-Mar-14 07:11:27

I've got a makeup bag full of pinky nude lipsticks and glosses but I'm very envious when I see other women wearing strong lip colours & would love to try one. I'm a pale skinned blonde however with very blonde eyebrows & I just feel I look ridiculous (or 20 years older?!) as soon as I put anything stronger on.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try? Reds usually make my teeth SO yellow looking, so I'm thinking maybe a dark/hot pink? Does anyone have any suggestions?

mrsnec Fri 21-Mar-14 07:20:28

I am the same colouring as you and always wear hot pink. Mostly gloss though. My favourites are Sephora rouge shine in 21 and Nars lip laquer in Hot wired. Both have blue particles in them which helps with the teeth thing. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread though as I'm running out of both, can't get either here and looking for cheaper alternatives.

LordEmsworth Fri 21-Mar-14 07:30:20

I have fairly pale skin (but darker hair) and recently bought Lipstick Queen Sinner lipstick in Rust; I was looking for a more "obvious" lipstick than the nude/sheers I normally go for, but like you I feel very self-conscious in anything too "obvious". It's red/brown, deep because it's highly pigmented but not dark. I love it...

Ujjayi Fri 21-Mar-14 08:44:01

Try Chanel Coco Rouge or Rouge Shine lipsticks. They have some great long lasting shades. Rouge Orage is a very wearable red for blondes with fair brows.

Walnut8 Fri 21-Mar-14 10:58:27

My main concern with red lippie is the yellow teeth issue though. I have a red/brown lipstick I bought on a whim & just can't wear it for this reason

50shadesofmeh Fri 21-Mar-14 11:05:32

I'm a fair skinned blonde and my current favourite bold lip colour is the revlon matte balm crayon in unapologetic it's a red toned pink and it's really flattering

mrsnec Fri 21-Mar-14 11:16:13

I will look out for that one 50. And I so agree about browns and rusts and some shades of coral are a no for me too I tried I do red occasionally though. That Revlon one, is it difficult to get used to I'm wondering if going from gloss to matte will feel odd?

Walnut8 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:39:24

Mrsnec, I'll look for the nars one thank you. Sounds lovely, does it last long though? The revlon also looks good meh

mrsnec Fri 21-Mar-14 11:46:43

Not that long really a few hours I'd say but longer if you blot it and all that, its quite versatile though as if you blot it you get a more subtle colour so I sometimes do that in the day and wear it really thick when I go out. It looks better with very little eye make up too I think. Pot is a bit annoying to carry round so I got a nice retractable brush and keep it loaded!

50shadesofmeh Fri 21-Mar-14 11:50:54

No they are quite pigmented but not very matte I use a bit of lip balm with it and it's lovely

Walnut8 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:07:50

Is it long lasting meh?

50shadesofmeh Fri 21-Mar-14 12:36:40

Yes pretty good for a crayon really nice feel on the lips , I use Mac lipsticks normally but really love these, elusive is a brilliant colour too.

SundaySimmons Fri 21-Mar-14 13:10:27

I wear fuchsia a lot. Bright and makes lips look plump.

charitygirl Fri 21-Mar-14 17:27:01

How about a vibrant orange - tons around at the mo. Stylist had a feature on them this week - have a look online.

Fuchsia is a fab colour, but on some skin tones, very draining. As is orange of course - but if one doesn't work for you, the other probably will.

Walnut8 Sat 22-Mar-14 12:35:32

Sunday - fuschia in a particular brand?

Walnut8 Sat 22-Mar-14 12:37:37

That elusive one looks such a pretty colour!

Walnut8 Wed 26-Mar-14 01:47:39

Bought the Revlon one in unapologetic. Wow it is bright but really is very flattering!! Very pigmented too but not drying. Very impressed so far.

merlotmonster29 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:36:52

OP, I have pale skin and very dark brown/black hair and I have the same problem as you. I wear pinky brown, nudey colours. Atm I wear Heather Shimmer from Rimmel, which definitely suits me, but I wear it everyday. Boring. I would love to wear a bold sultry red, pink or even purple, but it just does nothing for me. I bought a red lipstick a few years a go, from a counter (can't remember which now...think lancome) because the lady said that this red would look stunning on me because I've got pale skin and full lips. It looked alright then, but as soon as I got home and put it on, I looked absolutely ridiculous. So that was about 15 quid down the drain grrrrr. I still try it on every now and then, in the vain hope that it will suddenly really suit me, but I never have the balls to actually leave the house wearing it, because obviously the lip colour is the same and so is my face! grin I really should just throw it in the bin.

I've heard a few ladies on here recommending going to MAC and ask to try on all their reds/pinks etc. They have loads and apparently swear that every lady has their perfect red. Still meaning to do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now