Talk

Advanced search

Hair help

(6 Posts)
RichTeaAreCrap Thu 20-Mar-14 21:23:16

I colour my hair myself and it is a dark chocolate brown colour....almost black. I want to go back to a lighter brown, can I do this myself with colouring it? Would a home colour dye it lighter?

Iatemyskinnyperson Thu 20-Mar-14 21:38:23

Were you using permanent dye? If you were then using another dye on top will do nothing.

There is a product called Colour B4 which is supposed to remove old dye. Have a google and see what you think.

Otherwise it's a bleach job, which I suggest you do at the hairdressers. I have done this, but gradually by getting highlights. I was dark brown, am now dark blonde with highlights

RichTeaAreCrap Thu 20-Mar-14 21:52:33

Yes it was a permanent colour I used.

I think I may have to go to the hairdressers rather than risk it. The only thing that worries me is that my roots show every 2-3 weeks so if I get it done at the hairdressers I will have to go back every few weeks and it ends up pricey! Or could I go lighter brown at the hairdressers then after that dye it myself each time it needs doing by using a light brown hair colour?

Olivegirl Thu 20-Mar-14 21:58:55

My hair is a mid brown colour, I dye my hair myself but have learnt over the years to go for a dark blonde if I want it to turn out a nice medium shade of brown.

I've made the mistake of going too dark before
I just washed it loads and it eventually faded
Had to put up with it though for a while which was awful.

be warned, the bleach bath the hairdresser will use will be very harsh once done you can use a home dye in a lighter shade when you need it. I did the same from very dark brown to a mid brown, its still a bit darker than I wanted and a bit red from the bleach but would nevr do it again, it ruined my hair sad

RichTeaAreCrap Sat 22-Mar-14 11:12:48

This is another worry, I don't want to wreck my hair. It's in quite good condition and I'd hate it to be wrecked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now