Talk

Advanced search

pregnancy style help

(8 Posts)
ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Thu 20-Mar-14 15:52:06

I need help

I have no idea how to choose clothes for my growing bump, I was a size 10-12 pre baby and so far I've just brought the next size up im currently 16 weeks and in size 14. I think I'm ready to start wearing pregnancy clothes, but what size do I go for size 10-12 or 14? I have no idea! I'm not the most happiest with my body at the moment so don't what to start off with no idea and getting all tearful in the changing room! Also I want to look some what stylish and not frumpy, ideas and examples very much welcome

Many thanks

Smerlin Thu 20-Mar-14 16:54:01

You generally order in your pre-pregnancy size apart from H and M where you have to size up (they have a guide depending on how many months you are).

Changing rooms not always a winner anyway as shops generally carry the most paltry amount of stock in maternity clothes- and I live in London! I ended up ordering a lot online as a consequence.

Asos maternity wear is quite fashion forward as it goes and you can order a load, try it on at home and send back anything you don't like- they have tons! Also try Jojo and H and M. Personally I wasn't keen on Topshop maternity. Isabella Oliver is the top brand for something really special.

In order to feel confident in maternity wear I would buy 10-12 maternity clothes that fit your bump nicely but aren't large anywhere else so you look pregnant and blooming not large everywhere iyswim. If you have been blessed with a better cleavage since being pregnant (sadly I wasn't!) then you can show this off a little too.

Spend as much as you can on a great pair of jeans/trousers/smart skirt that will go with anything and other than that you can get cheaper tops. I found dresses were the best thing as they lasted well, looked feminine and pretty and weren't tight on the bump/riding up/falling frown etc.

Smerlin Thu 20-Mar-14 16:54:55

down

schmalex Thu 20-Mar-14 18:04:19

I have lived in my Topshop maternity Jamie skinny jeans with loose tops this pregnancy. But maternity wear is generally pretty depressing so I've tried to get away with normal clothes (sized up and stretched over bump) as much as possible.

It's handy to get a few long maternity vests that you can wear under other things so that your tummy doesn't show. I found the Topshop ones weren't long enough towards the end, but I've had some quite good ones from Mothercare.

Second ASOS, H&M, JoJo Maman Bebe and Isabella Oliver. Gap can also be ok. Seraphine is also at the more expensive end but has some nice dresses.

I had lots of compliments when I wore dress http://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2540846?id=S2540846&color=C270, which was £18 from Matalan!

schmalex Thu 20-Mar-14 18:04:57

Ugh, link fail, sorry.
ink{http://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2540846?id=S2540846&color=C270\www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2540846?id=S2540846&color=C27]]0}

schmalex Thu 20-Mar-14 18:05:46

Third time lucky?
dress

HandragsNGladbags Thu 20-Mar-14 20:04:53

ASOS is great. Agree that you just order your normal size.

Also Red Herring have some good stuff.

CurlsLDN Thu 20-Mar-14 20:11:19

I'm 33 weeks, and agree Asos is the best!

I've also been living in new look maternity jeggings, smart enough for me to wear to work (where everyone wears skinny jeans) but so comfortable.

Early on I went to h&m and bought 4 black long vest tops (non maternity) I have worn one nearly every day. As your bump gets bigger you want long tops to make your proportions look right, so they are great with a long cardigan, a snazzy blazer, or layered under a shorter top.

Have a look on Pinterest at 'maternity fashion' 'pregnant fashion' etc, a great way to get an idea of what style you like and how it works with a bump!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now