Talk

Advanced search

CEO of Mulbery has resigned

(9 Posts)
sansucre Thu 20-Mar-14 11:58:02

Exactly that!

Clicky

Can't say I'm terribly surprised, although it's happened much quicker than I anticipated.

Here's hoping they return to their old values and prices. I grew up with Mulberry and stopped buying their bags about 4/5 years ago when the Lily bag was 'only' £450.

It will be interesting to see how takes over, particularly in the role as Creative Director.

Puddles1234 Thu 20-Mar-14 12:12:49

Not a surprise Mulberry need to go back to its original brand values and lower their pricing. Bruno Guillon tried to make Mulberry a super luxe brand in the same vein as Chanel/Hermes etc but its never going to happen. People who cant really afford Hermes and the like can afford Mulberry and they need to concentrate on that.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Thu 20-Mar-14 13:01:26

I genuinely don't know how you can expect to just raise prices without changing the product offering. I'm not being snide, it just seems as though that's what was happening and I'm not sure what the thinking was behind it.

santamarianovella Thu 20-Mar-14 13:51:14

I really have a soft spot for mulberry,and admire their designs,but lately they have been aiming really high,concentrating on foreign market,and completely neglecting the uk market,
They funny thing is ,that when the bags were a bit more affordable,stock prices were up,and mulberry was one of the biggest names on stock market,

Their is not a lot of price difference now between a bayswater or willow bag and a chanel PST, or any other big global bag brand,so naturally people will look for other alternatives ,

santamarianovella Thu 20-Mar-14 13:52:03

*there

Puddles1234 Thu 20-Mar-14 13:57:45

santamarianovella That is exactly what Mulberry wanted. That is why they bought in Bruno Guillon he was previously MD of Hermes to expand globally as Mulberry wanted to crack the Asian market where the bug bucks are made.

santamarianovella Thu 20-Mar-14 15:05:17

puddles most of the Asian customers travel to the uk or paris to buy luxury goods,foreign luxury goods in Asia is %30 more,also they still believe in buying from the "source",many people will travel to paris to shop at the chanel cambon store just to get their hands on the white shopping bag,its more exciting than buying the product itself ,so unless you can afford to lose serious ££££,for the sake of showing you have a presence in Asia ,by opening huge flagship stores,then its best to concentrate on the local market.

one of mulberry's biggest mistake,is that they forget,they are exclusively a handbag brand,that's where their profits are made, but for example chanel can survive as a whole functioning brand with profits from beauty and perfume sales alone, so even if sales in other departments are low,they won't be affected,but if mulberry suffers a blip in sales the whole company suffers.

The cruel thing about fashion,is that you can easily be forgotten,people are always on to the next big thing.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 20-Mar-14 16:58:29

Not at all surprised. Everyone is over Mulberry. Former customers have either gone upmarket to the proper high fashion brands or they have saved money getting good value, fashionable bags from MK etc. Mulberry have lost their way and their customer base.

MaryMungoAndMidgies Thu 20-Mar-14 20:40:41

I used to love saving up to buy a Mulberry. It used to be my treat every year.

Then the prices went up. The quality did not. I was so disappointed when I visited the Mulberry store. Some of the bags looked tacky, others poorly styled. I used to love the subtle branding and quiet hardware with a Mulberry. It used to be so hard to choose a bag, there were so many I loved on sight.

The service in the stores used to be better too, helpful and friendly even if I went in wearing my battered owd Barbour. I called the outlet in York recently to see if they could help with an older bag and they didn't even return my call.

This is why your profits are down. You are neglecting your loyal customers. I am now on the hunt for a new bag brand to collect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now