Talk

Advanced search

If you have toddlers what bag do you use?

(38 Posts)
sotiredfornow Wed 19-Mar-14 21:55:14

I'm completely over using a changing bag now and feel like something new / different. I have no idea what to buy! I'm a SAHM so my lifestyle is playgroups, soft play, play dates, park, shopping, library etc. We are out am and pm. I think I need a rucksack or cross body so hands are free.

What are using? Hopefully I'll get some ideas grin

ThatsMyOnlyShirt Wed 19-Mar-14 22:37:01

I'm a rucksack lady! I picked up a Fred Perry one in TK Maxx that is retro canvas style, but they are everywhere at the moment. I've been sorely tempted to buy another style.

Find them best when baby wearing and pram pushing.

I also have a cross body bag from Clark's if I'm just need keys/money/phone.
[[ http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26102855]] Similar to this one but was in sale at Christmas.

frankietwospots Wed 19-Mar-14 22:46:05

Noooo! Not a rucksack! I use cross body bags a lot, mainly from Gap or Boden. Am off to buy this large shopper from Sainsburys at the weekend as it is roomy and looks way more expensive than it is: www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/tu-clothing/products/women/stitch-detail-shopper/

FadBook Wed 19-Mar-14 22:51:09

Large black bowler bag from Faith. I'm lax with filling it with stuff for dd but I keep a bag of her stuff in the car (nappies, wipes, water bottle, toys) and add what I need to my bag depending on where we're going. I don't need a big bag.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 19-Mar-14 22:52:39

When I'm out at the park etc I tend to use a tiny cross body bag for keys/phone/cash and a shopper type for everything else that I can leave on the buggy/dump in a corner. Gap have some nice ones at the moment.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 19-Mar-14 22:55:03

I use this
www.hurnandhurn.com/homeware-c1/soft-furnishings-c162/cushions-c163/anorak-kissing-stags-animal-satchel-messenger-bag-p1148

poocatcherchampion Wed 19-Mar-14 22:55:47

cath kidston rucky currently. its my first flowery thing and I'm loving it! I also have a paperchaee weekender for bigger outings and being serious.

2 littlies here.

WoweeZowee Wed 19-Mar-14 22:58:47

I love my Fossil messenger style oilcloth bag with giraffes on! It fits laptop in nicely for work or nappies, change of clothes and all sorts when out n about with little un.

SauceForTheGander Wed 19-Mar-14 23:07:44

Barbour

Bit like this - don't make the one I've got anymore but this is similar. You can spill stuff in it, on it, carry toys, food, nappies etc. cross the body and looks worn in shabby but in a good way IMO.

Puddles1234 Wed 19-Mar-14 23:58:26

Although I don't yet have a toddler, I'm currently pregnant and I am not planning to use a traditional changing bag. Instead I will be using either a large Birkin or a Goyard St Louis tote.

sotiredfornow Thu 20-Mar-14 09:43:11

frankie - haha! A rucksack would NEVER have entered my head but my friend had a Cath Kidston (never been a fan) one this week and it was super organised. Everything had its place, easy to carry and wipe clean. Totally practical. Probably not very stylish. Wont the shopper be annoying, falling off your shoulder as you hold children's hands?

QueenCadbury Thu 20-Mar-14 09:48:53

I use a mixture of bags. For toddler groups I take a large handbag (my current fave is my banana republic tote), for the park I use a cross body bag for purse/keys etc and then a canvas shopper to dump on the floor/buggy and if we're out to somewhere like the zoo and I'm taking a picnic then I will use a rucksack as it's just so much more practical.

FreeButtonBee Thu 20-Mar-14 09:50:37

I have twins. Rucksack for all their shit. Small cross body bag for purse/keys/phone/sunglasses for me.

frankietwospots Thu 20-Mar-14 10:10:17

At least the rucksacks you are talking about are made for adults. I just think mums who trudge around with Spongebob rucksacks on their bag may as well give up quite frankly...

frankietwospots Thu 20-Mar-14 10:12:02

sotiredfornow - not sure if the shopper will be annoying or not yet until I've road tested it but generally my little one is good at walking next to me and I'm quite happy carrying a large tote/shopper with all my crap in it.

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 12:23:11

puddles the thought of you using a birkin as a changing bag is making me cry. THINGS WILL LEAK IN IT. And NOT NICE things at that. Even if you can afford for it to get ruined, it's still making me cry. I mean it's Hermes!!!

turkeyboots Thu 20-Mar-14 12:26:12

Cross body Orla Kiely oilcloth bag for child related activities. It's wipe clean and leaves hands free. And has survived the washing machine after a mushed up banana incident.

spottysocksandshoes Thu 20-Mar-14 12:27:36

I use a rucksack. Handy when the DC were very little as they were always in a sling on my front.

Now they're a fraction older, I find a rucksack holds everything. and it's on my back and out of the way.

There are some lovely ones around.

SauceForTheGander Thu 20-Mar-14 14:09:51

Birkins can cost tens of thousands. That's some toddler bag. It will not survive mashed up banana disaster as experienced by all of us * turkey*

turkeyboots Thu 20-Mar-14 14:50:43

It makes me all sad to think of a lovely Birkin all covered in black mushed banana. And you never really get rid of the smell.

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 14:59:18

Banana was the least of what I was thinking....

enormouse Thu 20-Mar-14 15:01:12

I have a slouchy accessorize tote in blue leather which is big enough for my toddlers stuff and my newborns nappies/change of clothes. It has a cross body strap and plenty of pockets.

I alternate between that and a pair of satchels (one red, the other polka dot) for shorter journeys. The toddler also has his own tiny rucksack he insists on carrying.

Also wincing at the thought of things leaking in a birkin. I had milk leak in the bottle holder for my old changing bag and I had to bin it as the smell permeated. The changing bag itself has become knackered and relegated to overnight visits/holidays.

SauceForTheGander Thu 20-Mar-14 15:35:15

It's either a joke or little understanding of the horrors of toddlers. Say goodbye to nice things staying nice grin

PurpleWithaMysteryBun Thu 20-Mar-14 17:19:40

I treated myself to a sugarjack Gabi in tan (cross body bag) when it was on sale, getting on really well with it in the 6 ishweeks I have had it. Generally carrying gubbins for my 2yo and the folder I have my pregnancy notes in smile

TheWiseOldElf Thu 20-Mar-14 17:55:48

I alternate between this Joules tote and this Fossil tote. I also have a baby so I throw in the changing pod from my old pacapod changing bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now