Talk

Advanced search

Help please with summer wardrobe

(13 Posts)
ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 19-Mar-14 21:44:15

I'd appreciate some help with my sunmer wardrobe
It's gorgeous spring weather here which is turning my mind to summer. Plus I will be visiting the uk in a few weeks and tend to do my clothes shopping over there.

I usually wear dresses leggins and long ish boots. Ie not quite knee high boots

In spring I am ok in jeans tshirt maybe a cardigan and something like converse on my feet (although this is a little casual for me and I would also love ideas for being a bit more smart in spring)

I walk lots. Use public transport. Have two pre school children. Spend summers at the park sitting on rugs or running after the children
I don't like to wear dresses or skirts without leggins as I feel I'm forever flashing my underwear

I was thinking something like culottes. Or is that desperately 80s. I will be 34 this birthday. Any chance I could pull off those jump suit type things but shorts instead of long??

Also footwear. Last summer (my first summer here in Switzerland - previously I had the joy of Scottish summers!) I ended up always in flip flops. But again I felt a bit casual in those.

The weather is likely to generally be nice. High twenties up.

Thank you!!

sotiredfornow Wed 19-Mar-14 21:58:06

Oh I would like help with summer dressing too. I was also wondering about wearing dresses now I have kids. Maybe shorts / play suits are the way to go.

ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 19-Mar-14 22:12:49

Ok I have just ordered this

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_58606+6270004499_-1

And this

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_58606+4460002999_-1

From debenhams online

Slightly concerned that I am buying something called a play suit! And a bit worried I'll be mutton dressed as lamb in something that's meant for somebody 10-15 years younger than me !

ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 19-Mar-14 22:14:41

I've just had a very quick browse in next and debenhams. But the only culottes they had were for girls. So I think I'm maybe in the wrong decade for that one smile

Let's hope some of the fashion gurus come along soon sotired

frankietwospots Wed 19-Mar-14 22:40:38

If you don't like wearing dresses or skirts without leggings (neither do I), then are you planning on wearing a playsuit with bare legs? They can come up quite short...but now you've got me looking and I really like this one from Top Shop (although I bit scared that it's satin type fabric): www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=playsuit&storeId=12556&productId=13532809&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33057

How about some denim shorts like these ones from Next (I've just ordered them for myself): www.next.co.uk/G3990s4#664120G39

Perhaps chinos would be smarter than jeans for Spring? I go to Gap, H&M and Boden for chinos. Or how about capri/cropped trousers? These Boden beauties in the blue print are in my basket although I fully realise that the print is not for everyone!
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Trousers-Jeans/Trousers/WM360-BLU/Womens-Blue-Print-Sorrento-Ankle-Skimmer.html

Top Shop have culottes: www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=culottes&storeId=12556&productId=13491489&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33057

The other thing I've got stored in my wardrobe for spring/summer are harem trousers. These ones from Next are great: www.next.co.uk/x5360s2#650580x53

I'll be wearing them with a navy vest top and metallic sandals.

sotiredfornow Thu 20-Mar-14 09:50:34

Frankie - really great suggestions, thank you.

I've considered chinos and am trying to find the perfect pair that's flattering on my short legs! They look really nice with sandals or brogues.

LOVE the playsuit. You've got me thinking about playsuits. Might have to find myself one. Agree that the fabric needs to be right though for casual daywear.

I think culottes/skorts are the way forward. I bought these the other week (mine are plain navy no longer online), spur of the moment try-on sesh in store, and they are absolutely gorgeous, so flattering. I've never been a short wearer but I'm a total convert to this style now.
www.missselfridge.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=skort&storeId=12554&productId=14216206&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33055

I also have the Next harem pants. Haven't been able to wear them yet but I LOVE them. These:
www.next.co.uk/x5360s2#650580x53

I want another pair!

Keep the ideas coming ladies!

frankietwospots Thu 20-Mar-14 12:00:57

Seriously cute daisy print on that skort!

sotiredfornow Thu 20-Mar-14 14:37:06

Mine are plain navy - I didn't go for the daisy print!

ScottishInSwitzerland Thu 20-Mar-14 15:28:06

Thanks for the ideas.
So is skort the new word for culottes then!
I agree the daisy print looks good.

I still have children charging around so will have a good look when they are in bed

It's been 22 degrees here today so I am so in the mood for summer shopping.

Oh question - how long is the miss selfridge skort?

sotiredfornow Thu 20-Mar-14 16:17:00

I got the petite version, I'm 5'2. It is a

sotiredfornow Thu 20-Mar-14 16:18:01

Oops! ....

I got the petite version. I'm 5'2. The length is good. I wouldn't have liked them too short.

ScottishInSwitzerland Thu 20-Mar-14 16:30:50

I'm 5ft 1 so petite sounds good to me.
smile

ScottishInSwitzerland Thu 20-Mar-14 16:32:02

I am a bit worried about how bum skimming these play suits I've ordered will be. But it was free p&p (to my mums in Scotland) so worst case scenario is just I return them to the store. I would probably be nipping into debenhams anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now