Talk

Advanced search

Please help me spend £250-300 on a bag!

(27 Posts)
Fillybuster Wed 19-Mar-14 13:22:09

I've been so lucky: I won a MN comp and now I have £250 Love2Shop vouchers burning a hole in my wallet smile smile

DH is in firm agreement i should spend them on something that's a 'treat' for me (rather than school uniform etc. which would be my normal attitude) and I can top up the spend a bit if there's something special out there.

I know, it shouldn't be that hard...but I've never spent more than £100 on a handbag before (and that was in this year's xmas sales, so still stroking it gently every time I use it), and normally around £50-70.

All I know is it must:
- be leather
- have long enough carry straps to hook over my shoulder on the tube (I commit approx 1 hour each way in London daily) or a long shoulder strap
- I don't like 'across body' bags as I have quite large norks
- Close properly: a zip or proper fastening. I do worry about someone fishing my wallet out of a shopper-style bag
- Be large enough for wallet, phone, kindle, mini hairbrush, makeup, other phone, nail file, tissues, small notebook, business cards and all the other crap I carry around...so definitely not a mini bag!

I think (but am not certain) that
- I'd like it to be large enough to hold A4 files (maybe?)
- I'd prefer not beige or light colours as they get dirty
- Not too bling but definitely smart looking
- I'd like some sensible sections so I can locate my oystercard and work pass easily (I'm utterly scatty so need help)

I don't think I care about
- Firm vs floppy (grin
- Colour (apart from caveat above)
- Brand

Thanks in advance...I'm very excited grin

cathers Wed 19-Mar-14 13:37:53

www.harrods.com/product/selma-satchel/michael-michael-kors/s12-0401-076-MMK-193
How about this one? Big enough to carry an ipad, zips up, 2 straps and very solidly built.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Mar-14 13:41:12

Radley Grovesnor - google it before scoffing at the idea!

Chopstheduck Wed 19-Mar-14 13:43:11

Michael Kors Fraser accepts love2shop.

Fillybuster Wed 19-Mar-14 14:09:47

Thanks smile

I've already looked at the Radley bags, and although I know this is S&B heresy, they don't really do it for me <ducks>

I love both the Michael Kors bags, although prefer the tote in black Chops. Wish I could find some dimensions for it though....on balance I think I prefer the satchel Cathers suggested but it does go rather over budget, even allowing for some extra spend....

Any other suggestions, o knowledgeable ones?

Chopstheduck Wed 19-Mar-14 14:50:24

If it was me, I would actually buy this ralph lauren I have a scarf that matches it, but saw the bag today.

I have a few MK bags, they are lovely. I have one similar to the one I linked, but in burnt orange. If you want really large, you could look at a Hamilton.

It's a bit limiting having to be love2shop really. I love Coach bags, something like this would be lovely.

ReginaldBlinker Wed 19-Mar-14 14:55:50

As far as pockets and ease of finding things, this is my go-to bag: www.modalu.com/shop/pippa-bags-handbags.html/. Know it's been a bit over-hyped since you-know-who started carrying it, but I love all the pouches and pockets.

SpringBreak Wed 19-Mar-14 15:06:34

have a look at the Whistles hobo & satchels

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Mar-14 15:29:51

Radley bags don't do it for me usually OP, but the Grovesnor is just lovely <strokes, lovely soft leather>

misog2000 Wed 19-Mar-14 15:49:27

I've just treated myself to a lovely Knomo bag, this is the one I bought www.knomobags.com/uk/devonshire-leather-blackcherry-13-laptop-shoulder-bag.html but they do lots of nice bags, and most of them have a specific pocket for laptop, iPad etc and my notebook fits in there

Chopstheduck Wed 19-Mar-14 17:03:31

Oh Knomo bags are just gorgeous. They have some real bargains on their outlet on eBay too, I got the Lille from eBay, ex display I think, immaculate condition, for £75.

Fillybuster Wed 19-Mar-14 17:46:21

Gosh...some great ideas...thank you smile Now I've got to actually choose <gulp>

Why oh why do I keep liking the really expensive ones? And why do you keep showing them to me? <glares at chops and cathers for Coach and Michael Kors links>

Oddly enough I just went to John Lewis to take a peek around their bags and spent quite a while looking at that bag Reginald - only I had no idea it was famous (or who Modalu are...blush ) Its definitely got the pockets etc, and I like the plain leather and croc versions, but it felt quite bulky and I wasn't sure how comfy the straps would be - any thoughts?

Whatever I get definitely has to be leather, look a bit 'special' (no, me neither, but for that much money I want it to stand out a bit somehow) and not be a colour that gets marks on day 1.

ReginaldBlinker Wed 19-Mar-14 19:06:18

It is a bit heavy, but you can now get a slightly smaller one with a shoulder strap which may be better than just the arm straps.

I have to say, it's probably not a bag that will last more than a couple of years... The workmanship is great, but their leather isn't the best. However, their customer service is fantastic! My last one was navy, and the colour had started to come off the handles, plus had a few scuffs and was a bit saggy, so emailed to see if they had a restoration service. They don't, but because I'd had my bag less than a year, they gave me a brand new one! shock

That alone would keep me buying from them!

ReginaldBlinker Wed 19-Mar-14 19:08:24

(I'd never heard of Modalu before Pippa was photographed with the bag either!) but the pockets are SO perfect that I fell in love.

madammecholet Thu 20-Mar-14 08:43:35

A second for the MK Selma bag, i've also seen this Peony & Moore Lauren bag which I like..

madammecholet Thu 20-Mar-14 08:44:18

That bag comes in black btw... meant to link that one not the light one..;(

AmberNectarine Thu 20-Mar-14 10:42:23

My work colleague just had this delivered. Is very nice!!

Ilovecoodomol Thu 20-Mar-14 11:18:06

THe Modalu is a quality item, lovely hard wearing leather. I use mine daily for work, it is dumped on floors, kicked about, stood on regularly by my kids but the leather is the hard type of leather and still looks great when aged. I love Bridge handbags, although I wouldn't buy them in the UK, I picked one up in France years ago for about £50, came back home and seen them in my local shop for £300. Modalu and Bridge I would say are on par quality wise.

Fillybuster Thu 20-Mar-14 12:46:29

Thanks all. I quite like the Pippa bag but more taken with some of the DKNY and Michael Kors bags....think I might need to take a trip to House of Fraser on Oxford Street to take a proper look!

KosherBacon Thu 20-Mar-14 12:49:37

My top 3 would be
1 longchamp pliage in leather
2 radley grosvenor (and I hate leather)
3 Michael kors Selma, although am slightly falling out of love with this due to the copies

Shimmyshimmy Thu 20-Mar-14 13:39:24

I love this

Fillybuster Thu 20-Mar-14 17:13:53

Oh gosh, I think I've fallen in love:

uk.longchamp.com/handbags/le-pliage-cuir/handbag-1515797?sku=65108

Talk me out of this and tell me to go for something sensible and useful?

Chopstheduck Thu 20-Mar-14 17:33:03

That is gorgeous, but looks very delicate!

I have a Valentino bag that is made of gorgeous soft leather like that - it is lovely, but so delicate and the purse I bought with it is scuffed to bits. sad

I'd head to the west end if you are anywhere near London. House of Fraser on Oxford st has a fab MK range.

Beaverfeaver Thu 20-Mar-14 18:23:20

I just bought this and love it

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/coach-bleecker-cooper-leather-satchel-handbag/p975121?kpid=232894623&s_kenid=43b6d1ca-971b-d448-6220-0000728336c6&s_kwcid=106x59477&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

KosherBacon Thu 20-Mar-14 19:15:39

Buy it! If I had the money I would (which is why I recommended)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now