Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever used the personal shopper at Debenhams - Oxford St

(16 Posts)
doadvisemeplease Wed 19-Mar-14 09:15:31

or any other centrally located London branch?
I don't actually like Debs as a store but like a lot of the clothes in the concessions. Have had mixed - some quite good- experiences in my local store but the stock they carry is quite limited.
Had very disappointing experiences with the personal shopper in Jlewis
and also not so keen on the brands they stock - so it's Debs or nothing.
Anyone been - good or bad experience? Is there any particular person you would recommend?
TIA

Dudess Wed 19-Mar-14 09:34:00

Used the one in Reading and it was quite good. Are you looking for an outfit for a specific event, or a new collection for a new look? How come the JL experience wasn't good?

I blog at size15stylist.blogspot.co.uk and love talking about shopping! Would be how to advise ;)

Dudess Wed 19-Mar-14 09:34:55

*happy to advise

(Predictive!)

KosherBacon Wed 19-Mar-14 09:39:04

I haven't tried either, but would much prefer to try out John Lewis than Debenhams. There is so much polyester trash in Debenhams and they have far more of a selection in JL.

doadvisemeplease Wed 19-Mar-14 10:09:25

Dudess thanks

I am just looking for some nice new clothes for Spring/Summer that suit my life style - haven't had any for ages.
Main reason for using shopper is that due to various health problems I find shopping beyond exhausting. The lure of sitting in comfort while someone goes out and looks for things for you to try on..
Secondary reasons are time constraints and the fact that it is good to purchase lots of things at the same time as you can see how they work as outfits.
I don't really go for advice on what to wear as I'm quite confident in my likes and what suits me. Always open to suggestions though and being taken a little out of my comfort zone.

I had been to various Debenhams as that was al I could reach when kids were small and results varied but okay. Generally the women brought me things that were to my taste but didn't always listen to what I said about my lifestyle.
Finally was able to find the time to do Jlewis in Ox Street and I assumed that would be much better. First shopper I saw kept on saying there wasn't much out there (it was early summer )and I should come back in the autumn when they had more stock. I did that and the second lady I saw was dire - kept bringing me really frumpy stuff in colours I plainly told her I dislike.

Dudess Wed 19-Mar-14 13:40:42

Totally agree about the sitting-in-comfort and all-outfits-at-once comments. I love shopping online at House of Fraser as they have more stock to view, and deliver free to store in 24 hrs. Then I try on at home and return anything I don't like within their policy....usually 14 days instead of 28. Some stores will prob have a personal shopper, too.

What lifestyle/colours are you after? It's good to have a base of 3-4 colors in your wardrobe then you can update with a colour or item you love. I stick with navy, red, black and white but this year coral and pastels are everywhere (scarves/bags/shoes/tee-shirts) as well as logo sweaters (fab with coloured skinny jeans).

doadvisemeplease Wed 19-Mar-14 16:00:16

Thanks. Lifestyle - I have to be able to move in my work clothes - bend, stretch - also spend a considerable amount of time on feet. I cannot tolerate heels. Not really supposed to wear blue jeans to work though can flout it from time to time. Scarves or dangling necklaces are a no no.
I love and suit strong, vivid colours and white too. Fine with black skirts and trousers but truly loathe unbroken black near my face.
I love the coral that is around at the moment - prefer the shade that is a bit more pinky than orange. I'd love to find a great shirt that oclour that fits and flatters.
Not mad on pastels but if a shape worked for me I'd consider them.

doadvisemeplease Wed 19-Mar-14 16:00:46

Thanks also for saying about the click and collect - might try that

Dudess Wed 19-Mar-14 16:56:31

You have a clear idea of what you need, and what flatters. What job do you do? Could you wear a dress and leggings/tights? http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Dickins+Jones+Fan+print+cowl+neck+belted+jersey+dress/189394259,default,pd.html
Worn with M&S footglove flat shoes?!

This is a cute top from Therapy - http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Therapy+Lace+yoke+tee/193418162,default,pd.html

I like H&M for mandarin-type jersey blouses which I can warm up with a vest and or cardy, too, and some gold with coral!

http://tablet.hm.com/gb/product/22258?article=22258-E
Or -

http://tablet.hm.com/gb/product/25932?article=25932-C

Hope you found some online inspiration!

doadvisemeplease Wed 19-Mar-14 18:48:16

It's a newish job so I'm still feeling my way. But the environment is "arty" so I reckon I could wear a dress and leggings. In fact I was all set to until mumsnet decreed it mumsy/frumpy sad
I like some of these links - especially the "Therapy" top.
Believe it or not I find Footglove or indeed any MS shoes very uncomfortable.!They just don't seem to fit

Dudess Wed 19-Mar-14 21:16:26

I live in dresses and leggings, and its more practical than jeans!

Evans sometimes have decent shoes in, or you can't beat Clarks/Hush Puppies!

Congratulations on your new job, you'll find your own style, but feel free to PM me if you have any agonising decisions (I always buy both smile)

LordPalmerston Thu 20-Mar-14 04:56:53

Do people really shop at debenhams

Snog Thu 20-Mar-14 06:27:27

only the commoners m'lud

Roshbegosh Thu 20-Mar-14 06:32:45

I used the Debenhams Oxford St a few years ago and they were very good. He was French, that's all I remember about him but there was no pressure to buy and my friend and I really found it helpful.

doadvisemeplease Thu 20-Mar-14 08:10:27

Thanks Rosh - I guess I might give it a go.
Dudess you are very kind. Don't go into Evans and would never have dreamed of looking there for shoes

Dudess Thu 20-Mar-14 10:44:45

I'm heavy-footed and thick-calved so was put onto Evans a few year's ago as my local city is probably the worst UK city to shop in (no John Lewis, Gap or Duo!) .

Happy shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now