Talk

Advanced search

Is there any way to get rid of black hair dye?!

(8 Posts)
fatedtopretend Tue 18-Mar-14 21:44:45

I really need to go a lighter shade, I cannot afford to do this at the hairdresser.

Is there any way of sorting out hair that has been dyed black for years?

TwinkleSparkleBling Tue 18-Mar-14 22:06:04

I've used colour b4 to remove v dark brown. It went a light copper colour so then added a mid over it and it looked good. Not sure how effective it would be if you've been colouring for years but it does remove colour build up, so could be OK.

fatedtopretend Tue 18-Mar-14 23:32:55

Thanks twinkle, I'll look into what people say about it for a massive amount of colour build up!

ClaireBoo17 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:38:35

Hi if money is tight you can try good old fairy liquid, repeat quite a few times. It works as well as any colour remover out there

PinkandTwinkly Wed 19-Mar-14 02:28:33

Yep, Colour B4 or the other similar products should work.

I normally wash with fairy a couple of times to remove as much dye as possible, but it'll only lighten black not remove it.

To get mine from black to brown i used the extra strength and did it a couple of times. It will leave your natural hair warmer in tint due to the peroxide in the black dyem

MooseBeTimeForSpring Wed 19-Mar-14 03:14:26

Someone told me that bog standard Head and Shoulders strips colour quite well.

Ilovecoodomol Wed 19-Mar-14 10:51:06

A hairdresser once told me after a home dye disaster that Daz strips colour (I tried going jet black thinking it would make me look more exotic, it just made me look like Morticia Adams). She advised to be careful because it isn't very good for your hair, it was only an emergency solution. I got cold feet and didn't try it but I did manage to lighten it a bit to a more acceptable colour using another home dye in a meduim brown. The XXL Live Colours are very highly pigmented and not that expensive, I used to use their red and it was a nightmare to cover so it may be good brand for lightening your black.

laregina Wed 19-Mar-14 12:18:56

Colour B4 or similar should lighten it a little but won't work particularly well on black hair because the pigment is so dark. And as others have said, you would then need to put another colour on top because the end result would not be pretty!

What about getting some highlights put in after using a colour restorer? They would need to be done with bleach but it wouldn't have to be expensive if you had cap highlights done...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now