Talk

Advanced search

Toning down brassy hair - best dye to use?

(13 Posts)
Canmore Tue 18-Mar-14 19:48:10

My hair is naturally light brown/dark blonde. I had highlights done about six months ago which were a lovely ash blonde, but recently went brassy. Two weeks ago I used a Nice and Easy dark ash blonde permanent hair colour - fine at first, but it's got now it's brassy all over! I suspect I need to go darker - any recommendations of colours/ products to try?

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Tue 18-Mar-14 20:03:12

Have tried silver shampoo?

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Tue 18-Mar-14 20:03:32

*you

Canmore Tue 18-Mar-14 20:15:35

Hello MoreSky! Yes, I've been using one called Touch of Silver, alternating it with normal shampoo and conditioner. Haven't seen much difference. To be fair, the recent bit of sun we had probably did too much damage for a silver shampoo to sort...

milkysmum Tue 18-Mar-14 20:25:46

Fudge clean blonde violet shampoo is really good at toning down brassy tones. I would use gloves though as very purple and can dye nails if not careful. Really does work though.

Canmore Tue 18-Mar-14 20:40:25

That sounds interesting, milkysmum. I am torn between trying different purple shampoos, like that one or maybe The blue Aveda one? or the alternative, which would be to go ash brown. I quite like the idea of going darker, but would want to avoid just going darker with the same brassiness!

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Wed 19-Mar-14 08:42:55

I believe when you dye hair, you need to be aware of the colour wheel.
If your hair is orangey, you need blue to cancel it out. If it's more yellow, you need purple, as these are all opposites on the colour wheel. I think you can get blue and purple based toners for this reason.
I think one of the dangers of going dark over blonde is that it goes green as I remember when I got a hairdresser to do this and they had to make my hair bright red first.
Having said that, I've just dyed my blonde hair a light ash brown and it looks fine. Not brassy any more and definitely not green!

Canmore Wed 19-Mar-14 09:32:40

That sounds positive - what did you use? Am considering nice and easy natural light ash brown, which looks very dark but has that all-important ash : )

Canmore Wed 19-Mar-14 13:26:37

So in the end I chickened out a bit and went to get light ash brown lowlights and a toner done at a salon just now - looks good so far : )

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Mar-14 13:37:19

I have used Nice and EAsy ash to tone down Big Bird Yellow hair, it worked well but this was years ago.

foolssilver Wed 19-Mar-14 14:14:39

I know you're sorted now but for any future tone issues I would recommend trying joico purple shampoo. It is really good compared to all the other hundreds I have tried.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Wed 19-Mar-14 20:00:25

For the record, the nice and easy natural light ash brown is exactly what I used.
But if I didn't have a Velcro baby, I would have gone to a hairdresser, so good call.

Canmore Thu 20-Mar-14 17:28:17

Congratulations on MiniMoreSky! Good to know that that nice and easy one works, in case the lowlights don't stick around. Dame - Big Bird is exactly right: )

Foolssilver, would you recommend the Joico for maintenance, or rescue missions only?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now