Talk

Advanced search

jo malone, am i missing out?

(18 Posts)
salemsparklys Tue 18-Mar-14 14:10:41

I have never been into one of their shops or used anything they make. Am I missing out on something here? Should I find a shop local and sample some things?

ZeroSomeGameThingy Tue 18-Mar-14 14:20:18

You've missed out by not buying her stuff in the 90s when it actually was "her" stuff.

I think Jo Malone was sold to somewhere huge ages ago and obviously can't be using the same ingredients - or retaining the same individuality as it had in the early days.

For some people that matters. For others it's still considered a luxury brand. Depends how you feel....

nannyn Tue 18-Mar-14 14:33:24

I don't think it could be considered 'missing out' but the products are lovely. It depends on what you like to spend on products, I find the perfume doesn't last that long but the lotions fragrance all day. If you can find a local store they will give you a free hand massage whilst trying out the products smile

schmalex Tue 18-Mar-14 15:21:32

I was a bit disappointed with my Jo Malone perfume. The fragrance is lovely, but it fades really quickly (despite being EDP). I don't think I would re-buy.

santamarianovella Tue 18-Mar-14 15:47:49

I don't get Malone either,the perfumes and candles don't last at all,I prefer l'artisian parfumeur or dipytique for candles ,and there are much better perfumes brands out there,liberty stock good choice of perfumes .

WholeNutt Tue 18-Mar-14 16:36:53

I like some Jo Malone I believe it was sold to Estée Lauder a few years ago.

I go on evil bay and buy 5ml samples because I get bored of certain perfumes quickly

Aquelven Tue 18-Mar-14 17:10:26

It's Estée Lauder now.

I've never understood the appeal. They all smell like air freshener to me, don't last & are expensive for what they are.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 18-Mar-14 17:14:34

After hearing about it on here I was excited when I finally managed to get to somewhere that sold it.

I tried a couple of fragrances (on cards and on me) and actually didn't like them at all. One of them was really headache inducing.

polyhymnia Tue 18-Mar-14 17:18:41

Hugely over rated, IMO.
Might have been a cult/'in'/upmarket product but certainly isn't now. No, I don't think you're missing out!

CointreauVersial Tue 18-Mar-14 17:34:54

She has sold out to Estee Lauder, but has since relaunched her own fragrance line Jo Loves.

DiamondsAndRust Tue 18-Mar-14 17:52:50

Used to like some of her stuff, but have really gone off it lately. Agree that it seems to have moved downmarket (or perhaps just mass market) in recent years.

I still quite like the Orange Blossom fragrance for day, but I have barely used bottles of Pomegranate Noir and White Jasmine and Mint that were bought as gifts, and the Pomegranate Noir in particular turns my stomach (strongly reminiscent of Febreeze!)

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 18-Mar-14 18:58:48

Very overpriced. I bought my Mum some soap and it was no nicer than Body Shop and not nearly as nice as L'occitane.

Diamonds- if you like orange blossom fragrance, there is an Yves Rocher Neroli one that is cheap as chips and lovely!

Galliano Tue 18-Mar-14 21:52:30

I've got a couple of Jo Loves perfumes which I bought from the new shop in Chelsea. They are lovely, a bit more unusual and I would say longer lasting than the Jo Malone scents. It's a really nice shop to visit too in a nice location.

There are some Jo Malone scents I love too though - earl grey and cucumber is so deliciously summery.

didireallysaythat Tue 18-Mar-14 22:51:52

I like lime basil mandarin but it lasts about 10 mins on me. I went into the store and the assistant covered me in the stuff (apparently my little squirt wasn't going to cut it) and it still didnt last. And the lotion smelt very different and not that pleasant to me.

Can anyone suggest a looky-likey ?

Eliza22 Wed 19-Mar-14 08:14:20

Nope, not missing a thing! I had a Grapefruit spray from her (pre-EL takeover days) which I loved. I was in Selfridges last week and it all smelled like room freshened, to me. Didn't buy.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 19-Mar-14 08:15:34

I much prefer the candles and room scents Neom do.

Northumberlandlass Wed 19-Mar-14 08:24:45

Jo Loves is Jo Malone's new company. If you email them they will send you some testers.....the scents are amazing.

I actually still really like some of Jo Malone's (the brand) scents, but they don't last long on my skin, so have to layer up and that gets expensive!!!

Northumberlandlass Wed 19-Mar-14 08:26:36

Sorry - lots of advice about Jo Loves...should of read thread. Oops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now