Talk

Advanced search

Does bio oil actually work on scars?

(8 Posts)
jennymac Tue 18-Mar-14 13:36:08

Dd (now 7) has some quite visible scars from when she had chickenpox at the age of 2. I always thought they would fade as she got older but they don't seem to be. Was wondering if bio oil makes any difference and does it matter that the scars have already been there for 5 years?

Wuxiapian Tue 18-Mar-14 16:45:50

Didn't do a damned thing to my scars. Or stretchmarks, damnit.

And, I used it religiously for over a year; expensive mistake!

Sorry.

RahRahRasputin Tue 18-Mar-14 17:08:54

I'm not convinced. I have surgery scars so perhaps a little different to chicken pox scars but Bio oil didn't seem to change the appearance of them any more than just the natural fading process. I use cocoa butter now instead as it is apparently just as good, and cheaper. I like that it's more natural too.

jennymac Tue 18-Mar-14 17:38:45

Thanks - I think I'll give the cocoa butter a try first!

TheAwfulDaughter Tue 18-Mar-14 17:39:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Millyblods Wed 19-Mar-14 09:05:45

I bought some then looked at the ingredients only to find out that it's not very natural at all.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Mar-14 11:20:10

You need a gel with silicon in it which is the only thing that will improve scars, you can get patches and plaster too.

Creams and oils without silicon will just improve blood flow and skin texture with the massaging action.

Bio stung me like mad!

Mintymoomoo Wed 19-Mar-14 12:05:09

I'm currently using it to my my dd age 7, she had a nasty accident at school 7 weeks ago that resulted in her having to be stitched up by a plastic surgeon, she has pretty bad scaring above her eye and cheek, I have been recommend bio oil by lots of people and professional so desperately hoping it works, in pretty gutted my baby girl has been scared for life, at times I get so upset about it that I won't to sue the arse out of the school for there stupid bloody retaining wall around a infant playground

Keep us updated with how your getting on with it as it's early days for us using it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now