Talk

Advanced search

Haircut Dilemma - advice please!

(18 Posts)
Lovecat Tue 18-Mar-14 12:20:40

Following on from that Mumsy thread, I need some advice on a new haircut.

My lovely hairdresser has moved halfway across the country, so I am on the scout for a new salon (the old one had got megapricey, I only stayed because she was such a great colourist). My hair has almost totally grown out of shape since Christmas and desperately needs a cut, but what I had before (long-layered bob) I've had for years and I was thinking of a change.

Doesn't help that I've got a weird-shaped face... and wear glasses. All the style mags/online 'what cut for what face' seem to be entirely contradictory (I can have a long/short/wavy/bob/updo/chignon/afro) and I want a picture or two that I can wave at the new salon to at least give them something to go on.

I find if I go to a new hairdresser and just ask for something that suits me, I get whatever cut the hairdresser has herself...

Sooo... please don't laugh too much, here are a couple of selfies I took with and without glasses, hair off the face. As you can see, I'm not quite square jawed but neither do I seem to be round-faced or heart-shaped. Do ignore the 'caught in the headlights' look, I find the webcam on our pc is at a very odd angle and I have to look away from the screen when I'm taking the pic...

Lovecat Tue 18-Mar-14 12:21:05

And it would appear my nose is a lot weirder than I thought it was... blush

Lovecat Thu 20-Mar-14 10:31:27

Is it that bad, S&B-ers?

Am I beyond help? shock

AndiPandi Thu 20-Mar-14 10:35:28

I think you would suit a graduated bob falling just below your chin at the front. Your face looks quite square shaped in the photo, I think a nice rounded bob shape would look lovely.

FabULouse Thu 20-Mar-14 10:40:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lovecat Thu 20-Mar-14 11:06:09

Thank you! smile

Funnily enough, I'd looked at Reese' s hair and really liked it but wasn't sure if my face was too lardy a similar shape or not.

Like this www.listal.com/viewimage/282048h

FabULouse Thu 20-Mar-14 11:36:23

SundaySimmons Thu 20-Mar-14 11:41:34

Definitely a soft bob.

And you are lovely, not weird at all!

Lovecat Thu 20-Mar-14 13:10:49

Thanks again (cheque's in the post, Sunday), I have booked for tomorrow with a place a friend has recommended, so <gulp> fingers crossed smile

DavenotChas Thu 20-Mar-14 13:14:03

Lovecat Just had a nose at your profile and saw that you are in east london/essex. If you're on the hunt for a hairdresser, I'm in romford and use a really nice one.

DavenotChas Thu 20-Mar-14 13:14:48

x post! Good luck, can't go wrong with a bob grin

Lovecat Thu 20-Mar-14 15:03:54

Ooh, DavenotChas, that's a shame... if it all goes pear-shaped tomorrow morning, I may take you up on that!

DavenotChas Thu 20-Mar-14 15:19:23

Or get the clippers out grin

DavenotChas Thu 20-Mar-14 15:54:03

Or get the clippers out grin

Lovecat Fri 21-Mar-14 14:10:00

Did it!

I'm really pleased with the result - my fringe hasn't grown out enough to be properly sideswept but hopefully it will get there...

Photo of me attempting the Reese Witherspoon look of delirium (please ignore the state of my bathroom...)

And hopefully not too mumsy? grin

FabULouse Fri 21-Mar-14 14:14:47

SundaySimmons Fri 21-Mar-14 16:02:32

You look fab! you look younger and it really suits you.

The style doesn't look mumsy.

Without sounding rude, it's taken a decade off of you.

That looks lovely, and really suits you. Good call smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now