Talk

Advanced search

mineral foundation- what am i doing wrong?

(13 Posts)
yellowvan Tue 18-Mar-14 08:40:21

I've fallen out of love with cc creams as the ones i've tried either irritate, turn orange or just don't last. My skin is a disaster area with spots, rosacea, broken veins, open pores and some dryness,but i thought mineral powders (lily lolo) were supposed to cope with this? i've been using moisturiser (wait 15 mins) then finishing powder as base, then colour corrector then foundation and finishing powder again, applied with a kabuki or stippling brush but it looks really awful. it sinks into and magnifies every pore, it patches up over the cheeks, my nose glows through it in minutes and it looks orange in some lights but ashen in others, added to which all that buffing and stippling takes ages. I really want to like it. Help. What's the secret?

Elsiequadrille Tue 18-Mar-14 11:06:54

Could it be your moisturiser at all? I find that I can't use a heavy or greasy one. Skin should feel dry before the foundation powder is applied. Otherwise, not sure.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Tue 18-Mar-14 11:09:24

I found the same thing and went back to my normal foundation (Clinique) which I mix with a bit of bb cream. I apply a thin layer all over then touch up the areas that need a bit of extra help. Watching with interest.

DidoTheDodo Tue 18-Mar-14 13:16:55

I have no idea. I tried for ages and, like you, really wanted to like it. it looked fine when first applied but soon showed up every little crease and wrinkle and made me look years older than I am .

Forgettable Tue 18-Mar-14 13:22:43

Why not use the foundation on top of the moisturiser ( yes to waiting at least 15 mins) remembering swirl tap buff buff buff, buff buff buff again then blusher and then finishing powder.?

Greenstone Tue 18-Mar-14 13:54:31

Hm do you need all those layers? Just moisturiser and foundation is fine for me, and I have loads of redness and some spots. I go fairly light over my nose though as I don't want it looking too papery or magnifying pores.

yellowvan Tue 18-Mar-14 14:18:48

Yeah i wondered about the layers. it says on the booklet that comes with it to use the finishing powder as a base if you're liney and porey(and i am), and i wondered if it was the (heavy handed use of) corrector making me look ashy because it has a definite green tint. My face looks like wet cement sad

Haahoooo Tue 18-Mar-14 14:23:48

I also wonder if there may be too many layers going on. On a good day, I do moisturiser then powder. On a bad/ rushed day, powder only (shock) and that does seem to work quite well... Using Bare Minerals if that makes a difference...

Greenstone Tue 18-Mar-14 16:19:05

Leave off the correcter smile and build up your foundation tiny bit by tiny bit. Wouldn't bother with the finishing powder.

WholeNutt Tue 18-Mar-14 16:29:05

Try using your moisturiser then a primer then mixing a little of your mineral foundation with your moisturiser then a small amount of finishing powder.

If you have the right colour use it where you need it most then blend over the rest of your face. Less can be more sometimes.

Suttonmum1 Tue 18-Mar-14 16:41:29

I only put moisturiser under, very occasionally powder. I have found some moisturisers work better with the minerals than others. My 'primer' makes pores show up much worse. I put the moisturiser on straight after shower, then leave as long as possible before putting foundation on just before I go out.
I have the colour corrector too, but almost always use just moisturise and foundation.
I use elemental beauty.

coffeewithcreamm Tue 18-Mar-14 16:48:24

Mineral foundation just doesn't suit everyone, I hate it.

Crutchlow35 Tue 18-Mar-14 17:46:24

It never looked good on me and I seemed to spend my life buffing. Hated it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now