Talk

Advanced search

ok so if you DON'T want to look mumsy what SHOULD you wear

(19 Posts)
diamondlizard Sun 16-Mar-14 08:26:12

can read alot about what not to wear

but not much info on what to wear

dexter73 Sun 16-Mar-14 08:28:56

The trouble is there will be someone who thinks any item is mumsy. I don't think you can write a list of what is/isn't mumsy as it has different meanings to different people.

Locketjuice Sun 16-Mar-14 08:35:49

Knee high red stripper boots... Teeny denim skirt and a crop top wink

If depends on your life style, your preferences and budget.

There is not the " one stylish outfit" that suits all.

You have to go out there and try lots of different things to find shat suits you.

It takes a certain amount if time and dedication to look " effortlessly stylish". The effortlessness is an illusion, you see...

Not shat, WHAT

Ahem, apologies

baskingseals Sun 16-Mar-14 08:43:23

Good point lizard.

I live and die in skinny jeans. What else is there?

ReluctantCamper Sun 16-Mar-14 08:43:45

I think a huge bust badly managed can look mumsy (I have a huge bust and often look down at it and think 'mumsy'). So, a decent bra would get my vote!

Saurus72 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:36:44

Ha ha at 'badly managed huge bust' (as the owner of one myself, totally agree) grin

whereisshe Sun 16-Mar-14 09:52:02

Difficult.
What I do (not to say I'm un-mumsy and über-stylish! But I don't see my wardrobe in the "do not" list...)

Mostly no prints, unless it's a scarf and even then I don't like them.

Lots of neutral colours. I suit wintery colours so I wear lots of black, silver, pewter, etc. With some teal if I'm feeling adventurous. But all cool colours that I know suit me. I think mumsy sometimes comes from washed out warm colours on people that don't suit them.

Figure emphasising. The good bits! I'm very fussy about clothes silhouette and not looking blobby.

Plain good quality material (no embellishments). If fabric looks cheap (doesn't mean it is cheap!) I don't wear it. I don't spend loads on clothes but I like them to look expensive even if they're not. I also shop sales almost exclusively for the same reason.

Jackets. I love jackets, they instantly dress things up.

Overall look. I picked one, put together a load of pics on pinterest and refer back to my "look book" when I'm shopping. In an attempt to get it all to go together! (Not always successful). I also try to purge regularly for the same reason.

Not a failsafe method but that's my approach. And I wear comfortable clothes so haven't sacrificed that.

RedPencilPot Sun 16-Mar-14 09:54:18

Am watching this with interest!

Rattitude Sun 16-Mar-14 09:55:36

grin at Locketjuice

daimbardiva Sun 16-Mar-14 11:17:03

At the risk of sounding totally naff, I think it's not what you wear, it's how you wear it. If you are comfortable and wear styles that suit you, and look put together, like you've paid yourself a wee bit of attention, you won't look mumsy. Mumsy to me implies thst everyone else has come first and you've not put any thought/attention into what you're wearing/how you look.

PassNoRemark Sun 16-Mar-14 11:32:20

^what Daim said.

Mumsy for me is badly cut (or not cut/brushed) hair, faded overwashed or ill fitting clothes and the air of "it doesn't matter what I look like".

And I can be guilty of it too!

PassNoRemark Sun 16-Mar-14 11:33:53

^what Daim said.

Mumsy for me is badly cut (or not cut/brushed) hair, faded overwashed or ill fitting clothes and the air of "it doesn't matter what I look like".

And I can be guilty of it too!

I found the mumsy thread hilarious with what people deem as mumsy.I'd hate to think how some of the commenters dress!

I also find the whole neutrals idea ridiculous,nothing says boring/frumpy/mumsy than neutrals.Fact.

I saw a pic earlier that defined mumsy but can't post it.If you want a reasonable definition I would look at school gate style blog and avoid anything on it like the plague!

I also would not recommend ever becoming someone who has to plan their outfits either on a daily/weekly basis or any other time.If you have to do that there's something wrong and you need a life.

There is a balance between 'mumsy'/frumpy and obsessed.

Just looked at schoolgatestyle...you may have a point, it would fit the description well!

whereisshe Sun 16-Mar-14 13:44:17

I think people are confusing mumsy with SAHM. I work with several people who have a style I would call "mumsy". I know they all think about clothes (I've discussed clothes with them) so it's not "don't have time", they just like a certain style that's not particularly edgy or totally flattering. And they're not all sporting mum tums either, one is stick thin, so it's not figure shape driven. It's just... A bit boring and sack like.

pinkflaming0 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:54:36

I agree. Women in the work place can look just as mumsy as at the school gate. You don't even need to be a mum to look mumsy!

Millyblods Sun 16-Mar-14 15:15:30

Whereisshe your style sounds like mine. Clean lines, non fussy, stylish and can be changed easily with accessories.
Regarding SchoolGateMum she was brave enough to start a blog and is now very very successful so she must be doing something right to have so many followers......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now