Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning makeup brushes...

(18 Posts)
CelticJuggler Sat 15-Mar-14 09:21:06

Was out last night with friends and this topic came up - very rock and roll!

I mentioned that I just rinse mine with hot water and unscented shower gel until the water runs clear - and they looked at me in horror and started mentioning specific lotions etc to clean brushes...

Have I missed something? Am I doing it wrong?

Bunbaker Sat 15-Mar-14 09:21:43

I just use soap and water. You don't need fancy pants stuff.

goshhhhhh Sat 15-Mar-14 09:22:12

I just use baby shampoo!

Puddles1234 Sat 15-Mar-14 09:26:30

Yes you need a specific make up brush cleanser.

If you only use cheap brushes then as pp suggested use baby shampoo however if you use good quality brushes then a decent brush cleanser is imperative to keeping your brushes in excellent condition.

truelymadlysleepy Sat 15-Mar-14 09:28:11

I put mine in the dishwasher, it ruined them.

NormHonal Sat 15-Mar-14 09:30:41

In the days pre-DCs when I had time to apply make up with brushes <sigh> I used to wash mine with baby shampoo, but then bought some expensive brushes and got the Shu Uemera brush cleaner.

Now the DCs use them to play pretend face paints...

RonaldMcDonald Sat 15-Mar-14 09:31:27

I use kid shampoo and it is fine
your friends are falling for marketing/advertising

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Sat 15-Mar-14 09:32:34

I use shampoo on my brushes. They are all good quality ones but I have sensitive skin and find the brush cleaners too harsh.

Bunbaker Sat 15-Mar-14 09:38:53

"Yes you need a specific make up brush cleanser."

Why?

My brushes have lasted for years with just using soap and water.

itsbetterthanabox Sat 15-Mar-14 09:40:19

Michelle Phan the makeup artist suggests mixing washing up liquid with olive oil and using that to clean makeup brushes. I tried and it worked really well. It deep cleans but doesn't dry out the brushes.

Puddles1234 Sat 15-Mar-14 10:13:10

Why?

Because when you use excellent quality brushes made from natural hair and not synthetic to prolong their use you must look after them with a product designed specifically for that reason. If you are using synthetic hair then use whatever you want on them but with natural fibers its particularly important.

Natural fibres = Goat Hair, Sable, Pony, Squirrel and badger to name a few.

RonaldMcDonald Sat 15-Mar-14 10:51:27

natural fibres? like in hair on your head?

mmm that is why I use a gentle baby shampoo

all the rest is tosh

FrugalFashionista Sat 15-Mar-14 11:04:24

I should use baby shampoo but I just use a squirt of liquid hand soap and water and a brief soak in a glass jar (not getting the wooden part wet). I do this weekly, no shedding, brushes mostly from MAC. I could also use dishwashing liquid. I don't think makeup companies have invented new surfactants specifically for brushes - they just want our cash wink

I experimented with eye makeup remover for sensitive eyes <another substandard product I'm using up> instead of soap but that didn't cut the grease and gunk wink

tracypenisbeaker Sat 15-Mar-14 11:10:39

Good lathery shampoo/ antibacterial handwash. I also use brushguards to help keep their shape when drying (it does take longer though) and it is important not to get the handle wet or turn them upright when wet as the glue keeping the fibres in will come away.

alexheartbeauty Sat 15-Mar-14 11:12:34

I use baby shampoo and tepid water. I don't think it's what you use that's important but how you do it. It's best to hold them downwards under a tap so that water doesn't go into the part of the brush head that is stuck on to the handle. I also find gently dapping them on kitchen roll to absorb the water helps as doesn't putting the hairs back into the shape they're supposed to be so that's how they dry. I think ideally they should be dried upside down and I have seen a contraption that does that but it's expensive. Might try and think of a way to make my own!

tracypenisbeaker Sat 15-Mar-14 11:13:12

I also use a ribbed silicon oven glove to get the dirt out but then I am a freak.

lurkingaround Sat 15-Mar-14 11:38:31

Shampoo here too. Good enough for my hair....

Sillysarah49 Sat 15-Mar-14 13:00:38

Bit of a coincidence as I was watching a Lisa Eldridge video yesterday. She cleans hers in cheap 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. She sometimes uses the brush cleaner if she is working, but for a proper clean - the shampoo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now