Talk

Advanced search

Highlights - confused, what the heck do I ask for?!

(9 Posts)
Jemster Sat 15-Mar-14 08:47:52

Hi
I have mid brown hair and have always liked highlights but 6 months ago it was too blonde and I fancied a break so hairdresser put a brown semi all over. I hated this as it was far too dark with a red tinge, made me look washed out. I went back and he ran a few highlights through underneath but left the top horribly dark.

It has faded a lot now but I want my highlights back. The golden ones he put in are nice so
i popped in to ask him for a price.

He was going on about what he would do; one golden one, one bleached one, one darker toning one etc. I said I just liked the golden ones I have so could he just do more of those? He said yes but we can also add all these other colours too to 'break it up'.
I'm confused, what does he mean? I don't want multicoloured striped hair!

After the semi that I hated and now this chat with him I'm thinking maybe I should look elsewhere but I can't seem to explain what I want.

Any advice please, I am just worried about it going wrong again and being stuck with it! Thanks

AnythingNotEverything Sat 15-Mar-14 08:50:45

Multiple tones gets you that lovely Jennifer Aniston look. Much better than one flat colour.

If you can't picture it, get him to show you some examples of other people with hair like that.

If he can't explain it to you, find a hairdresser who can!

AnythingNotEverything Sat 15-Mar-14 08:53:02

Like this - Jennifer Aniston- www.hairfinder.com/celebj/hairstyle-jennifer-aniston6.htm

Jemster Sat 15-Mar-14 08:59:59

Thanks Anything, that is gorgeous, I would love hair just like that! My colouring is similar to hers so those highlights would suit me. What would I need to ask for to get that look or should I just show him the pic?!

Puddles1234 Sat 15-Mar-14 09:31:04

Change hairdresser?

I have mid brown hair and have always liked highlights but 6 months ago it was too blonde and I fancied a break so hairdresser put a brown semi all over. I hated this as it was far too dark with a red tinge, made me look washed out. I went back and he ran a few highlights through underneath but left the top horribly dark.

He clearly has no idea on how to colour hair. why are you going back to him?

MrsBungle Sat 15-Mar-14 09:33:44

Find a new hairdresser and take that pic of Jennifer with you.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 15-Mar-14 10:49:28

I think it's quite hard to achieve, but you want that multi-tonal, natural looking effect. Definitely not stripy.

You can often get a free consultation at a new salon - take some pics and give someone else a go.

RonaldMcDonald Sat 15-Mar-14 11:01:32

my hd says that la Aniston's hair is the most often requested

but that iho it involves semi perm colouring and different shades of highlights
the semi perm colouring prevents build up

i'm v blonde and cba but i see the attraction

FrugalFashionista Sat 15-Mar-14 11:10:55

I had a hairdresser once upon a time in New York (probably 'color mixologist' now that I think of it - it was a pretentious salon) who insisted on giving me auburn lowlights. I'm a natural blonde, have no red pigment, and look ghastly in reddish browns. I think she was color blind wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now