Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Skinny jeans needed

(26 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 08:20:07

Morning all.

We are shopping today in a big city and my mission is new skinny jeans.

I'm a large 14, 5'10, and wobbly due to small baby.

I own Gap's leggings jeans which are ok straight from the wash but bag dreadfully. I've started wearing them with a belt which helps, but I still need another pair.

I prefer a straighter cut (ie not ankle hugging) as I have larger thighs and can look too triangular. And I have big boobs so the effect is all a bit top heavy if the ankles are too skinny

I tried Next's relaxed skinniest on yesterday which I liked, but really wanted a dark, indigo blue which they don't do.

So, I'm after the holy grail of:

Dark skinny jeans - no whisker in for wear on the thigh as it adds inches
More denim than leggings
Not low waisted (baby classes all involve sitting on the floor!)
Up to £50
Available in a longer length (need a 33inch I think)

I intend to try Topshop Kirsten (I think) and have seen Primark skinny/straight legs recommended too.

Anything else I ought to try?

TIA

MrsPeacockDidIt Fri 14-Mar-14 08:56:40

I have these from next jeans. They are slim fit so not skinny.

Their relaxed skinnies do come in ink on the website here.

dexter73 Fri 14-Mar-14 09:12:07

Try Levis Curve slim leg. They are great but a bit over your budget.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 11:03:46

Thanks to you both. I tried the ink in the next Skinniest buy they're actually quite light, much lighter than the picture unfortunately.

We have a Levi's store so I'll check them out. I don't want to spend too much as I'm waiting for the magical breastfeeding weightloss ... Or perhaps kidding myself! For the right jeans maybe it's be worth it.

I'll try those lift and shape jeans. I think I've heard other good reviews but is forgotten all about them.

SorrelForbes Fri 14-Mar-14 12:20:39

I always rave about them on here, but the Gap High Rise Skinnies are really good. Very flattering and come in a dark denim wash. I size down and buy a 27 and I'm a curvy 10/12.

Marylou2 Fri 14-Mar-14 12:38:57

Uniqlo extra skinny would be perfect for you. Standard length is 33. They have a high enough rise to hold wobbly bits and never, ever bag.They are a fab price too!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 12:39:08

Thanks Sorrell - I really rate Gap jeans (but wish they wouldn't keep discontinuing styles I love and also that they'd have a wider selection of sizes in store!).

Busy day ahead ...

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 12:39:14

Thanks Sorrell - I really rate Gap jeans (but wish they wouldn't keep discontinuing styles I love and also that they'd have a wider selection of sizes in store!).

Busy day ahead ...

freezingmytitsoff Fri 14-Mar-14 12:51:27

Im 5'10 as well and love river island jeans. I'm not sure on the exact names of each cut/style but the have it written on the labels. There amazing qaulity for the price.

Stinklebell Fri 14-Mar-14 13:11:40

TK Maxx are good for Levi Curve.

I see them in our local one a lot for around £35 ish

DoYonisHangLow Fri 14-Mar-14 13:19:46

I'm 5ft 10 too, primaru will be way too short on you sad

I like te river island ones too but find they fade relatively quickly esp on the knees... Good for going out but if you're on your hands and knees with a toddler all at like me and want them as a staple they're not the best IMO as look worn quickly. Ditto DP.

I like the Gap ones a lot and plan to try uniqlo ones next I just prefer to try on in a store!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 13:54:50

We don't have a uniqlo :-(

Thanks all.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 16:03:54

I bought jeans. I kind of ignored my own brief, but I bought some black Baxter skinny jeans from topshop. The ankle is not as tight as I expected.

I had to wrestle them on, and I now have to hope the breastfeeding diet kicks in, but I think I'm happy with them smile

I tried the high waisted skinnies in gap and Sorrell is right, they're pretty lovely. They didn't have the longer length in store but they we're my definite ores from home option if I hadn't found anything else.

Thanks for all your tips.

SomewhereovertheRainbow02 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:07:57

Im 5ft 10 too and always buy Primark long length skinny jeans!
They do a few different styles! I go for super skinny but they do have slim fit which id presume wouldnt be as tight round the ankle!
And only about £10 a pair too smile HTH

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 17:02:48

Well for £10 a pair I might give them a go too. Thanks!

LydiaLunches Fri 14-Mar-14 22:23:53

Oasis Cherry skinny dark blue rinse? I have a 3inch turn up on their cropped version so imagine that the standard will be long enough? Tick all your boxes smile

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Mar-14 23:17:24

Ooh - they look nice. How skinny is the ankle?

OhTheDrama Sat 15-Mar-14 10:08:58

I'm a similar shape and wear Gap real straight. They are very slim fitting but aren't tight at the ankles. Very flattering, not strictly skinnies but they look much better on me.

GwenStacy Sat 15-Mar-14 10:23:16

I'm a wobbly post baby size 14 but short and love these from M&S - I don't know why they're called jeggings, they're just skinny jeans! High waisted, really comfy and wash really well smile

www.marksandspencer.com/5-pocket-denim-jeggings/p/p22245330

ncjustbecause Sat 15-Mar-14 12:56:19

I'm also obsessed with indigo jeans. Would you consider dying jeans to make them the right colour? I've used Dylon Jeans blue twice to do this. The colour is fabulous, a really dense indigo. Really easy to do, costs about a fiver for the pack and you just bung the dye in the wash.

The last pair I did was a £20 pair of high rise skinnies from Sainsburys. They looks so good that I'm thinking of buying another pair and dying those.

DoYonisHangLow Sat 15-Mar-14 13:28:47

GwenStacy I've seen those mentioned a few times before on here too. Any idea how the length length turns out, would I need a long leg for a 33/34 inch inside leg? The ones I want are sold out in all but the 10M so wondering if I could get away with it hmm

OhTheDrama Sat 15-Mar-14 15:21:31

do I have those and the medium is perfect length on me with a 32 leg so I would say go with long definitely.

TheJumped Sat 15-Mar-14 15:29:19

The 5 pocket jeggings are def worth a try - they are fitted all the way down to the ankle though. They're lovely thick stretchy hold-you-in denim though. I find they're not vanity sized fairly true to size.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 15-Mar-14 16:38:57

Interesting tips ladies.

I would definitely be up for dying jeans. I love that dark indigo but it's so hard to get it right in store.

I think I've seen the leggings and discounted them for being to legging-y. Maybe I'll try again.

LydiaLunches Sat 15-Mar-14 20:16:45

The oasis ones aren't tight to the ankle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now