Talk

Advanced search

What on earth can I buy in Monsoon?!

(19 Posts)
Longleggedlovely Fri 14-Mar-14 07:16:44

So yesterday was my 30th birthday and my lovely dear gran has bought me Monsoon vouchers. I have no idea why as it is not a shop I ever go into.

So wonderful ladies of S&B what can be bought with £100 of vouchers? I'm 5'11" size 14, a lawyer, normally shop in House of Fraser, Next, Oasis etc.

Alternatively does anyone know if I can spend them in Accessorize?

Allthingsprettyreturns Fri 14-Mar-14 07:24:27

I would wait and spend it in the sales or wait and put it towards a new winter coat

gymboywalton Fri 14-Mar-14 07:25:34

monsoon have some gorgeous things!! much nicer than next!!
what colours do you like?

whitwoo89 Fri 14-Mar-14 07:28:17

Pretty sure you can spend them in accessorize. Nice bag or jewellery?

MelanieCheeks Fri 14-Mar-14 07:32:55

Oh I love Monsoon (and I'm in my 50s....)

They have lovely posh frocks, but also good knitwear - cardigans and such. Last thing I bought there was a tartan frock, which I was thrilled to find as it met a very specific list of criteria. Are you planning a holiday soon, maybe get some beach wear and sundress?

whereisshe Fri 14-Mar-14 07:34:17

Monsoon surprised me once by having a perfect pair of white 3/4 trousers - nicely fitted, not see through and useful throughout summer. I wouldn't touch their dresses (crazy prints and cheap fabric mostly), but they do occasionally do nice separates. And their children's occasion wear is lovely.

Eastpoint Fri 14-Mar-14 07:36:33

They have some really good clothes (I won £500 credit in a competition) but they are hidden as they have so much stock. Their evening dresses are good if you need one.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Mar-14 07:38:56

You'd be able to use the vouchers in Accessorize as well wouldn't you?

MadBusLady Fri 14-Mar-14 08:18:02

I 'm always a bit stumped in there too. They have the same problem as Per Una in that they can't resist adding a bit of twiddly/sparkly/tasselly shit to everything. There is nice plain stuff hidden in there, you just have to go to a big store and have a rummage. Or as others say its nice to have a good wedding guest dress in the bank.

sewbee Fri 14-Mar-14 11:57:27

I bought a maxi skirt there last week smile

Lambzig Fri 14-Mar-14 12:00:36

Hmm, tricky one. They do some nice high summer beachwear, but it's probably not in yet.

IlonaRN Fri 14-Mar-14 12:13:38

I bought two lovely dresses in Monsoon in August last year - but there is a lot I couldn't/wouldn't wear.

HappyGirlNow Fri 14-Mar-14 12:17:32

In my experience there are always some gorgeous unique pieces in there amongst the mumsy crap.. Bide your time and you'll find something you'll love forever grin

ocelot41 Fri 14-Mar-14 18:16:11

Their shift dresses in block colours are brilliantly flattering - I have a rusty red one that's from this season (think it comes in an old gold too)

nearlythere22 Fri 14-Mar-14 18:33:59

I'm sure you will be able to spend them in accessorize! I am jealous! Buy a couple of gorgeous new bags and some jewellery. Their flip flops are fab too- comfy and stylish.

PearlyGrey Fri 14-Mar-14 19:26:26

Presuming they're also valid in accessorize? - do you have a beach holiday coming up this year? Could stock up on swimwear, sandals, beach bags etc?

southeastastra Fri 14-Mar-14 19:31:29

they usually have lovely scarves and rings. i like this

letsgotostonehenge Fri 14-Mar-14 19:32:53

a one way ticket to style failure! smile

Longleggedlovely Fri 14-Mar-14 20:47:15

Thank you all, a very mixed bag of opinions tho! I'm in town tomorrow so will have a look in store, though I fear it's all a bit Per Una too. I have got a beach holiday coming up (well, Sept seems a long time away..) or quite happy to buy bits and pieces in Accessorize if they accept the vouchers or like the idea if keeping them for a coat. Will have a look at their shift dresses too as I wear a lot of those for work. If all else fails my mum has said she will buy them off me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now