Talk

Advanced search

Have joined a health club and feel like a frump in the pool

(14 Posts)
Rosebag Thu 13-Mar-14 17:03:14

I'm in my 50's and have finally treated myself to membership at a health spa - primarily for swimming, which I'm doing three times per week at the moment and feeling a lot better for it. But I look quite dreadful. As I'm embarrassed about my thighs…(dimpled, wobbly and full of scars from 3 lots of leg surgery(, I'm wearing a skirted tankini (I know, I know…). Has anyone got a recommendation for a good sports swimsuit/tankini. I need underwired, bra size 32FF. Clothes size…large 14, sometimes 16, large hips, hourglass shape. Have been looking at Freya Swim, Panache and Zoggs but don't know what to choose. Happy to pay Bravissimo prices for something supportive and flattering.

Rosebag Fri 14-Mar-14 10:23:04

Bumping, just in case there's anyone who can help….

CMOTDibbler Fri 14-Mar-14 10:35:30

Honestly, just choose a swimsuit that you like, and wear it with pride. No one else will be taking any notice at all. I have a non functioning arm that looks weird, and is covered in scars, some of which are livid purple and huge - and swim with one arm. None of the swimmers take any notice at all.

I do have a sports tankini top which is ok, but mostly wear a Slazenger boy leg swimsuit from Sports Direct at £9.99 which contains my 30FF fine

Rosebag Fri 14-Mar-14 11:06:10

Thank you, Dibbler…wise words. It's just that I want to buy a sports type costume, rather than a fashion one.I will have a look at Slazenger suits. If I don't have underwires though, (preferably an integral bra) the boobs escape from underneath whatever bra shelf or mesh is there. I know I'm going to have to get over my thigh covering obsession, though…

Djangor Fri 14-Mar-14 11:56:52

I try & swim at least once a week - use swimsuits from Lands End which I like (& seem to last in the pool water) but think they only go to DD bra size. You don't need to worry about people looking at you - I have horrendous scars on my legs - combination of an accident & a tropical ulcer - & nobody bats an eyelid. When I swim there is often a prosthetic leg by the pool as well as people of every size & shape. I'm massively short-sighted in the pool anyway - thought someone was wearing a rather strange bikini until I was just a foot away when I realised it was a man with a very hairy chest. Find a swimsuit that is comfortable & keeps boobs more or less under control,don't worry about anything else & just enjoy your swimming.

SauceForTheGander Fri 14-Mar-14 11:59:39

I like one in sweaty Betty but too £££ at £70. I'm going to think about it though as really nice.

I really like a slazenger one too - black with small straps and mesh at the top ...

EustaciaVye Fri 14-Mar-14 12:01:14

I swim once a week and also have costume/body angst. However, in reality I couldnt tell you what any of the other swimmers wear.

Try panache. The swimsuits have cups and often adjustable ties on the hips.

slug Fri 14-Mar-14 12:49:18

Try Figleaves.com

Rosebag Fri 14-Mar-14 15:43:48

Thanks for all these responses. I'm less worried about the scars than the fat, actually. Hopefully the swimming is going to address that, at least in part. Has any one bought either of the sport swimsuits on the Bravissimo site?
www.bravissimo.com/products/swimwear/sports-swimwear/#/1

rubybricks Fri 14-Mar-14 16:14:31

i have a body sculpting swimsuit by speedo, got it from debenhams, it's not on their website any longer and can't link anyway, but there are several similar on there at the minute and i can heartily recommend!

i spent the ££ (way more than any swimsuit i've ever purchased) for the reasons you've outlined above, and i must say it holds me in a lot and looks ok, not underwired or anything, but supportive (F cups here) and with adjustable straps.

agree it's true that no one really pays any heed to your swimwear, but it's nice to feel as good as you possibly can - good luck in your search!

HellonHeels Fri 14-Mar-14 16:31:43

Arf at hairy chest bikini grin

I second the suggestion for the speedo sculpting swimsuit - I've got two of these and they are fantastic. Chlorine resistant fabric, too so if you wash them out carefully they will last. I got mine from John Lewis, in a sale, too so keep an eye out.

For the legs issue, buy some swim shorts to put over the top of the swimsuit if you really feel exposed. I'll see if I can find a link to some for you.

I've got one of those slazenger boy leg swimsuits and although I really like it, there's not much support for larger boobs. Mine have never escaped out the sides, though!

HellonHeels Fri 14-Mar-14 16:35:43

Something like these:

www.proswimwear.co.uk/arena-drag-short-black-white-23050.html?options=cart

A search for women's drag shorts should give you quite a few options.

Rosebag Fri 14-Mar-14 17:02:55

Great recommendations, thank you! I have got www.next.co.uk/x536234s2#893850x53 coming tomorrow. Bit worried about the great boob escape though….

Hellon, I have wondered about swim shorts but back in the day (1980's) I couldn't wear cycle shorts because of the bulbous thigh problem…and I was a lot slimmer then. That's why I ended up with these skirted tankini things! They're quite nice Lands End one's but they do look very 'old lady who hasn't done her bikini line…..'

specialsubject Fri 14-Mar-14 17:40:40

just get in the pool. A large percentage of the population are short-sighted, and can't wear glasses or lenses when swimming. Loads of your fellow swimmers can't see you, and if they can, who cares?

no fabric is really chlorine-resistant, regular swimming will destroy any suit so don't go mad. Never buy a white one and check regularly because it is the bum that always goes transparent first.

happy swimming!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now