Talk

Advanced search

What should I be wearing?

(4 Posts)
jumperooo Thu 13-Mar-14 13:41:12

I'm a 38yr old SAHM. I need some new clothes for spring and don't know what to buy. Budget is very limited. Am 5'4, size 10/12. I am a casual dresser, I do look a bit younger than I am. I think I mainly need tops, a couple of shoes and a bag.This is what I already have for day to day:

Primark super skinnies in indigo and black
Oasis cherry jeans in indigo
Black leggings
Various long sleeved stretchy tops: black/white striped, red/white striped, plain white, purple, black , navy and cerise
Various vest tops, black, white, stone, navy etc
V neck jumpers (Zara) in grey, black
Couple of plain cardigans
Couple of knitted plain sweaters,
Checked shirt (mango)
Chiffon type patterned blouse x 2 (Zara)
Grey blazer (mango)
Black cigarette style trousers (mango)
Navy narrow legged trousers slightly cropped (Zara)
Couple of plain hoodies
Couple of floral summer skirts (shortish)
Tailored shorts x 2 (mango), stone and black
Red ballet style pumps
Black ballet style pumps
Adidas honey pumps/trainers (grey) similar to converse
Suede & leather black ankle boots
Brown Reef flipflops
Coral wedge sandals
Grey suede slouch bag, looks tatty
Tan cross body bag
Striped canvas Animal messenger bag
Couple of scarves, not really a scarf person
I don't wear jewellery

Any ideas to make me look semi fashionable?!

rodgette Thu 13-Mar-14 20:46:27

I am not in a position to advise actual combinations, however I am roughly the same age and I have just googled people I think dress nice for our age, i.e Claudia Winkleman etc and Frankie Sandford just because if I was ten years younger ...lol
HTH smile

frankietwospots Thu 13-Mar-14 21:57:22

Sounds like you have quite a good range of basics/foundation pieces in your wardrobe already so maybe focus on a few items to freshen things up a bit? For example, how about a pastel coloured handbag which is very in this Spring? Gap have some nice ones as do Zara. This one is gorgeous in real life: www.zara.com/uk/en/trf/handbags/leather-and-suede-shopper-c358041p1694611.html

In terms of shoes, how about some of the new slip-on trainer styles which are really comfy and add a bit of interest to your outfit? I've just got these in the tan/black although I appreciate they are probably a little out of budget, even with the 25% off that is on at the moment:

www.kurtgeiger.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=laurel

Have you got any navy/white Breton tops? Boden do good ones (I have a discount code if you want it) and I've just bought this organic cotton one from Zara: www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/t-shirts/organic-cotton-t-shirt-c358008p1772643.html

So from this, a possible outfit could be your indigo skinnies, the Breton top, the slip-on trainers, your grey blazer and a new bag. Personally, I would always add a scarf as it finishes off an outfit so well. Sainsburys do some lovely scarves as do Gap which is where I get most of mine.

Are there any other looks you want to try? Have you had a look on Pinterest to get some ideas?

ELR Thu 13-Mar-14 22:21:48

frankie nice bag. Think I may need to make a little purchase!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now