Talk

Advanced search

Primer to stop foundation going shiny?

(10 Posts)

I have Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation and it is lovely stuff,real skin finish!

However,it soon goes shiny and that's even on my dry-normal skin.

I hate powder and it would kind of ruin the point of the foundation,so would a primer do the job of stopping it getting shiny?As a paley waley with freckles I look as ridiculous as you can imagine with a shiny face.

Please help me find a way to wear my foundation!I've had to stick to another until I can find a way

DoYonisHangLow Thu 13-Mar-14 13:05:05

I'm just getting into the world of primers so I can't really help with that but I do find the bare minerals translucent powder fantastic for getting rid of my shine and only reapply 1 time in a day (and I'm a nurse working 13 hour shifts).

I can't stand their coloured powders or foundations but the mineral veil is fab.

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 13-Mar-14 13:08:14

Primer is the bollocks, seriously.

I am using (and loving) the latest Garnier one, pale pink tube.

Many swear by the high end ones, but the Tesco one Barbara Daly endorses is a MN classic IIRC.

itsbetterthanabox Thu 13-Mar-14 19:16:27

Why does powder ruin the point if foundation? Powder sets your foundation, mattifies and makes it last longer.
Get a mattifying primer. Benefit pore perfector is good. Then an oil free foundation and then a fine good quality powder. Maybe an HD powder. The elf one is good.
You can finish it off with a finishing spray. The deslick urban decay one is good. It minimises shine and makes your makeup last longer.

I'll stick with the foundation and completely bypass powder and sprays thanks.

There is no point in having a light natural look (which it is) foundation if you're going to chuck powder over the top!I would only ever wear powder at night at a push no matter what foundation the.

I also do not want a proper Matt face,it's far from natural

itsbetterthanabox Thu 13-Mar-14 21:04:14

If you use a good powder it doesn't have that effect. Foundation will go greasy over the day. Primer won't stop that it will just make your make up last longer.
Bad powder which is badly applied looks matte and unnatural. Good powder applied well looks good. Makeup will never look 100% natural. Only a bare face will. Makeup companies expect you to use powder so make the foundation accordingly and almost always sell a coordinating powder.
Setting sprays can't be seen at all on the face.

I have NEVER worn powder during the day and only rarely at night.At 32 years old I can honestly say my foundation has always stayed put and not gone shiny.

It's just this specific foundation (which,by the way,really is very natural looking) that goes shiny.Nothing else ever has and I refuse to put powder on,'good' or not,powder has a very different finish and just adds a layer of make up.I do not want that.

Walnut8 Fri 14-Mar-14 07:11:31

Have you tried blotting sheets? I think MAC for instance does them.

LadyintheRadiator Fri 14-Mar-14 07:17:40

Mac do a good powder that you can't see at all. I just use a tiny bit where needed and it looks totally natural. The blotting sheets are great too.

I didn't get on with Bobbi Brown foundation in the long run though as it really was too shiny and I didn't want to put a lot of powder on, so I get what you're saying, but your stance on powder itself is a little odd.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Mar-14 14:44:54

Lanacane anti chaff gel is the same a smash box primer and only 6 quid. Fab stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now