Talk

Advanced search

Help! Spots!

(8 Posts)
SpanielFace Thu 13-Mar-14 09:46:47

Since I was in my teens, my skin has had occasional breakouts. I've always found that wearing foundation would cause spots, so when I was younger I only wore it on nights out and took it off religiously when I got home, which used to minimise it. But at that age I hardly needed makeup - I used to just wear mascara and lip gloss in the daytime, and looked fine!

Since hitting my 30s and having DS, I've felt like my skin looks "tired" and have started wearing a bit more makeup. Nothing major - usually BB cream, a bit of blusher, mascara etc. But my skin is getting worse and worse. My cheeks are currently a mass of pimples, blocked pores and black heads. I cleanse twice daily with the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser, and tone and moisturise with Clinique repairwear afterwards. But it's just getting worse. I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant with DC2 and I think hormones aren't helping, but it's getting me down. Even DH, who is fairly unobservant, has noticed. sad

What can I do? I don't want to stop wearing makeup, as it's the only thing keeping me from looking as tired and spotty as I feel, but are there any brands that are better? My skin isn't especially oily, it gets the odd dry patch but nothing major - just "normal/combination" I guess. I've got a few lines on my forehead and around my eyes, sun damage related from younger years I suspect. What about any skin care regimes that would be better than what I'm currently using? (And ideally won't cost the earth?). I find the ones for spotty teenage skin just irritate it more.

Thanks for any advice! I feel far too old to have spots at 34!

TulipOHare Thu 13-Mar-14 09:59:46

Have you tried Lily Lolo mineral foundation? Many people find it benefits acne-prone skin. I used it religiously for several years and still do sometimes.

Am sure someone will be along with some cleansing advice soon!

WholeNutt Thu 13-Mar-14 10:09:04

What's your routine? Cleanse tone and moisturise?

If it's hormone related treat the sensitivity first, if you try to use harsh products to get rid of the spots your skin will over produce and you'll become more aggravated. Do you have time to use a gentle mask once a week?

WholeNutt Thu 13-Mar-14 10:12:31

Sorry just re read and saw you use liz Earle and clinique!

Are you getting them around your chin and jawline mainly? If so this is usually hormone related.

Walnut8 Thu 13-Mar-14 11:24:30

I had awful spots for both of my pregnancies up to about 16-20 weeks. Then had beautiful skin for the rest of both pregnancies.

It's trocky when you are pregant, because the best thing for me to treat acne is salicylic acid and that's not recommended when pregnant. I used a lactic acid cleanser instead which was brilliant here but not sure if you can get this particular one where you are.

Which BB cream are you using? this may be making it worse.

SpanielFace Thu 13-Mar-14 12:27:42

Thanks for the replies!

Tulip, no I haven't - I was wondering about mineral makeup and whether it would help but I've never tried it. Thanks for the tip.

WholeNutt, I'm currently using Liz Earle cleanser and toner, and Clinique moisturiser. That said, I'm only using them because I was bought them for Christmas! Before that, I was using a boots botanics range. The Liz Earle stuff is really nice though, although I'm not sure if it's helping it not. Not blown away by Clinique. I probably would have time for a mask once a week - is there any that you'd recommend? I don't do anything like that at the moment, haven't done for years. The spots are mostly on my cheeks, some on my chin and jaw. The pattern is new, it's tended to be my chin in the past, which is why I wondered if it was my makeup?

Walnut, my skin last time was amazing! I didn't have a single spot for most of pregnancy, hair and nails were fab too. Maybe it means I'm having a girl this time?! I'm using Boots Botanics BB cream, after reading a recommendation on here ages ago.

WholeNutt Thu 13-Mar-14 12:51:28

Try using la roche posay effaclar moisturiser the duo is great and Effaclar AI targets specific areas helping to reduce inflammation. You can get in Boots.

For a mask if you're oily on your chin I'd use a natural but gentle clay mask if you're not oily try a calming mask.

You could also try getting a trial size of Elemis SOS cream which is great for stressed hormonal skin, it has willow and lavender to calm and protect. You only need a small amount and I'd use it at night on your problem areas.

Drink as much water as possible (you probably know this though!)

WholeNutt Thu 13-Mar-14 12:55:40

Me again! Effaclar AI contains salicylic acid so prob not a good idea whilst pregnant..sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now