What's good for spots and acne?

Tried over the last few years-

Wearing no makeup and washing with just soap and water
Simple cleanser/toner/moisturiser
Germolene
No. 7 exfoliant stuff (expensive shit)
Tea tree stuff
Hibiscrub

I think it may be hormonal? What works? It's depressing me, sounds totally shallow and fickle and shit I know, there's worse things to be depressed about. But it's just got worse and worse these past couple years. The scarring is terrible.

sad

Help.

FrugalFashionista Wed 12-Mar-14 23:05:29

Please see your GP or dermatologists. With scarring, you need more potent stuff but for that you need a prescription. My brothers needed Roaccutane. Please schedule an appointment! My face was raw and red over Christmas and it was hard to go out and feel upbeat. I got mine sorted and now my skin is pretty great and the few remaining scars are fading...

TollgateDebs Wed 12-Mar-14 23:09:25

OK, what age are you? I had no spots until mid to late 20's and continued until mid 40's - they were sore, angry and often managed to do their worst at the drop of a hat. My confidence took a real bashing, but I nagged for a dematologist appointment and this made a huge difference, with an initial two pronged approach with antibiotic topical lotions and various other creams including Retin A. I learnt to stop stressing about it and realised that I often thought it was worse than it was and in reality others didn't notice as much as I thought they did! I moved from using anything and everything to try to make a difference to doing very little in the way of cleansing and lotions / potions and certainly did not use any harsh cleaners / anything for spots or heavy duty exfoliant. Changed my pillow slips often, used flannel for exfoliation and learnt to cover spots by applying foundation with a brush, so subtle coverage, tarther than heavy layering. Go and see the Doctor and nag for an appointment, as the scarring can be helped with the right treatment. First step is to get help - go on, ring tomorrow.

TollgateDebs Wed 12-Mar-14 23:12:04

FrugalFashionista and I crossed, but the message is the same - you are not alone in this and something can be done - let us know how you get on.

Ruprekt Wed 12-Mar-14 23:14:12

Cutting out sugar helps me.

I have roseacea though which is a pita!

McNally Wed 12-Mar-14 23:32:14

While you are waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist, ask your GP for a prescription for Duac. Other than oral antibiotics, it was the first thing that made any real difference to my acne prone skin. Worth a try?

MagicalHamSandwich Wed 12-Mar-14 23:42:57

So sorry OP. sad

It's not ridiculous to feel depressed over your acne. It can take a horrible toll on your confidence.

I've had horrible cystic acne since I've been a teen. Tried everything from house remedies to the prescription equivalent of Trident. Others have already made some god suggestions. Here's what works for me (and may or may not work for others):

Benzoyl Peroxide - not as per instructions but in copious amounts. Slathering it on, basically. It's really drying, though, and it tends to bleach.

Oddly enough: highly concentrated salt water, used as a toner or out of a spray bottle. Stings a bit but cleared me up very nicely when even my BP wouldn't anymore. Drawback: salty residue on face. Don't recommend during the day ...

dreamingbohemian Wed 12-Mar-14 23:55:20

You need to see a dermatologist, even if you have to go private (will even out if you consider all the different treatments you'll buy otherwise)

You need to make sure it's acne and not something else (rosacea can look like acne). You may need antibiotics or something prescription strength.

A lot of treatments will just make your skin worse, you need professional advice.

Newjobthankgod Thu 13-Mar-14 01:15:51

Oh no I am sure your face is not a "shit tip".

If you can handle the sting I have had pretty good results from Peter Thomas Roth's skin care stuff. My skin clears up nice too when I use hope in a jar night.

But if I spend any more money on that stuff my dh will flip his shit so it's back to acne and dull skin ville I go.

MistressDeeCee Thu 13-Mar-14 01:28:21

OP there was a thread on here yesterday about acne, a poster put it up said she'd had brilliant results with Effaclar Duo [+] anti-blemish cream, and the face gel. She'd suffered for years tried many treatments, and this is working so far. Sorry you're down about your skin, my 18 year old DD has suffered with acne for a few years now & it does get her down. She's now on antibiotics which have improved things a bit, but her skin isnt absolutely clear by a long chalk. Im going to try this product with her. Anyway you can get from Boots

www.boots.com/en/Effaclar-Duo--anti-blemish-cream_1440758/

MistressDeeCee Thu 13-Mar-14 01:43:51

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2021697-I-dont-want-to-speak-too-soon-but-after-20-years-of-battling-adult-acne-I-think-I-have-found-the-answer-and-it-is-available-from-Boots

HighlanderMam Thu 13-Mar-14 13:24:41

I'm 30.

I had the usual spots etc from about age 13-15. Fairly good skin from 16 to around 23 then it started. The last two years since I had my daughter it's got steadily worse, used to be just on my chin and round my nose, now it's on my jaw line and cheeks and forehead. sad Not just little ones either, it's like big red ones that swell and can't be squeezed. Then after ages they finally burst and then go scabby and leave a scar.

I've been to the doctors in the past and been given a topical lotion before which did nothing, just made my face feel greasy all the time which I hate. I asked about a dermatologist and he really didn't want to refer me, said they'd only give what he was prescribing anyway.

I also have chin hair which does my head in, I asked the doctor about the link with polycystic ovaries and chin hair and he dismissed it saying as I was slim and had regular normal periods that it was unlikely, I also fell pregnant shortly after that so I thought he must be right.

Going to ring doctors for an appointment next week. It's my daughters 2nd birthday party this weekend so once that's out the way I can concentrate on whatever they suggest.

lurkingaround Thu 13-Mar-14 14:39:21

I second the advice given by a few of the PPs. Scarring acne needs dermatologist intervention.

There are a few sub-types of polycystic ovaries, so it's not impossible that you could have polycystic ovaries. But whether or which, you need to see a dermatologist, as it appears your GP doesn't have an interest in dermatology. Scarring acne is a serious medical issue, with serious pschological sequelae.

lurkingaround Thu 13-Mar-14 14:40:52

psychological

TollgateDebs Thu 13-Mar-14 15:37:48

My doctor didn't want to refer me, but I insisted. One appointment started me on the right course of action and I never looked back.

ajandjjmum Thu 13-Mar-14 15:45:01

DD has struggled with her skin, and there are different things that have helped.

MD Formulations facewash
Teatree cream - not oil!
Antibiotics
Clinique anti-blemish range

Her skin was loads better on Yasmin, but she had to come off it with migraines.

Good luck!

dreamingbohemian Thu 13-Mar-14 15:50:13

GPs are notoriously bad at dermatology -- I went to one once who had never even heard of rosacea, thank goodness I had already been diagnosed.

Definitely do everything you can to get a referral, or go private, it may not be as expensive as you think.

I have also heard good things about Effaclar, and have used La Roche Posay for other things to very good results. French skincare is amazing.

charitygirl Thu 13-Mar-14 16:09:28

Have you read Caroline Hirons's blog? She strongly recommends seeing a derm for chronic acne but also as cheat sheets and tips for breakouts, and views on which ingredients/methods to avoid in skincare.

MeepMeepVrooom Thu 13-Mar-14 16:14:52

Ask for oxytetracycline from your GP. I had the same problem as you and tried everything, got this and it was cleared up with 3 months and never came back.

charitygirl Thu 13-Mar-14 16:24:41

www.carolinehirons.com/2012/05/acne-cheat-sheet.html

JennyOnAPlate Thu 13-Mar-14 16:33:51

I'm 33 and have always had awful skin, I really sympathise flowers

With the chin hair and acne I suspect you do have pcos. I have it but have always had regular periods (35-40 day cycles, but still regular.) I would push your gp for a blood test and referral for a scan of your ovaries.

Unfortunately I am overweight and my gps only solution to my acne is to tell me to lose weight. She doesn't listen when I tell her that my skin was just as bad when my bmi was normal hmm

Katekate77 Thu 13-Mar-14 16:34:30

Sorry I've not had time to read the whole thread. I was put on a contraceptive pill called Yasmin. It's quite expensive so Gp's tend to prescribe it for women who get terrible acne with other pills (like me). I also had a little course of antibiotics at the start and my face cleared up in a week if that. It's so frustrating having spots/acne, I never felt pretty or clean. Good luck! smile

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 13-Mar-14 16:50:21

I'm a size 6-8 & have regular periods but I've still got pcos.

I'm allergic to cows milk so I don't have that but I find cutting out sugar & alcohol work best for me. I get chin hairs too.

I use la roche posay physiological cleanser with a warm flannel and their moisturiser for acne prone skin.

I think you need a new gp.

fairlytiredtonight Thu 13-Mar-14 20:46:44

My DD has moderate acne. I thought the GP would be dismissive as she is only 15. I was pleasantly surprised when he was very sympathetic and prescribed Zineryt and a course of antibiotics. She decided to try the Zineryt first and then add in the antibiotics if that didn't work and miracles of miracles it seems to be doing the trick after just a week.

The Zineryt is a topical lotion and you can wear make up over the top after it dries. Apply morning and night. Definitely go see your GP - there is help available.

HighlanderMam Thu 13-Mar-14 21:54:25

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. I will be making an appointment for next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now