Talk

Advanced search

DH recovering from alopecia - can you dye shaved in hair?

(11 Posts)
abigboydidit Wed 12-Mar-14 21:41:54

DH has alopecia areata which led to patchy hair loss. His hair is was dark brown so we took the decision to shave it in to about 3mm all over as it was looking dreadfull. However, now we can get a proper look at his scalp, it seems the bald patches are filling in but the hair growing in is pure white. Obviously we are pleased to see re growth but unfortunately it makes the new haircut look even worse than the old one hmm We would rather not go down the route of wet shaving his head but it seems the only other option is to somehow dye the white patches to match his hair? But am terrified to try in case I dye his scalp. Can anyone with hair expertise advise? Thanks in advance!

ilove Wed 12-Mar-14 21:43:48

Mine came back white and very fine, like baby hair. I dyed it once it was more established and it was fine

abigboydidit Wed 12-Mar-14 21:46:39

Thanks ilove. Was it very short when you dyed it?

ilove Wed 12-Mar-14 23:50:11

Yes, around half an inch long. I asked the hairdressers advice first and he said as long as I wasn't bleaching it, it would be fine x

Hugs to you/hubby. It is thoroughly devastating. Mine is on its way out again, I can feel it sad

abigboydidit Thu 13-Mar-14 07:09:57

Oh am sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't happen. DHs hair is really just stubble so am not convinced it would work confused

Mine came back white and fluffy but It was long and the patches were hidden under longer layers. Once it got to half an inch or so it turned dark again and grew back completely normally, maybe his will do that too?

I haven't had a recurrence for several years now, but the place in my scalp where it started still tingles regularly and I keep thinking it's about to start again.

abigboydidit Thu 13-Mar-14 08:21:58

Thanks and glad to hear things can improve. I think it just looks so awful at the moment the concern I that people will see him and assume the worst ie that's he's properly unwell and undergoing some horrible therapy.

UnicornCrisps Thu 13-Mar-14 08:29:12

It will be ok if you get dye on his scalp, it will come off after a wash or two.

abigboydidit Thu 13-Mar-14 08:47:52

I was considering the stuff they use to dye beards and facial stubble??

I don't really know much about hair colouring (I've only ever used henna on myself). I had a scalp masking product (like a big tube of mascara) for my bare patches, but it would have looked really weird if I hadn't had longer hair to cover the patches with, it just helped that you didn't have a flash of white skin if the wind blew the hair to one side. I think in some ways it's harder for men as they generally have short hair and fewer options to disguise it with. I have never felt so self conscious in my life as I did during my attacks.

I see men with the very short, patchy hair sometimes and I know it's probably alopecia because of having it myself, but to be honest probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid before I knew that and would have just assumed it was grey patches, it is quite possible that many people don't notice or think anything at all. Just doesn't feel that way when it's you it's happening to.

Sorry it's happening to you too Ilove

abigboydidit Thu 13-Mar-14 12:32:05

Thank you. Actually the mascara thing is a good point. Am not sure he isn't a bit unrealistic about how good a cover up job would be. May look worse! Will get my mascara wand out and do a wee patch to show him. The hair is so baby fine it may just highlight the patchiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now