Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stuck in a rut...

(14 Posts)
pinkbear82 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:26:15

Ok, I'm in my 30s, had dd 9 months ago and after being very poorly during the pregnancy have gained a bit of weight and struggling to shift it.

Life in General has been stressful and a bit crap. I need to start loving me again. I figure my hair is probably a. Good place to start.

It's dark blonde, just touching my shoulders in a grown out bob. Money is tight, so can't go wild. Tempted to go to local hairdressing college and say I have £x, do your thing.

Open to any suggestions, everything needs an over haul really. Any ideas have to be purse and baby friendly!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 20:59:37

I agree hair is a good place to start. My other tip is something like a scented body cream to improve skin and make you smell nice.

Sorry you've had a crap time, it takes a while to get back to feeling like yourself after a baby. For me it was much longer than 9 months so you're doing well!thanks

pinkbear82 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:05:56

Thanks Dame. Good idea, skin needs a bit of tlc too.

Think it's all going to get worse before it gets better, but I figure if I can feel a bit more positive with me it's a positive to focus on. As well as dd of course.

OneLittleLady Wed 12-Mar-14 21:14:13

Firstly, congratulations on having your baby thanks

Eyebrows are a good thing to sort as well, a lot of local colleges do that kind of thing too as most have beauty salons as well as the hairdressing bit so you could ask about it there.

Do you have a superdrug or can you order online? MUA is a decent but very cheap make up range and you could have a play around with some new bits to try and boost yourself a little. They have great eyeshadow palettes at £4 each, I use them and find them great, especially the matte one. Lipsticks in the range are £1 so you could get a couple and try out new looks, they have lip glosses for the same price if you'd prefer a more gentle look.

Spending even one night a week after baby is in bed doing little things for yourself will help you feel better. Nail painting, body scrubs, face masks, all of which can be bought cheaply if you don't have them already will give you just a little boost and make you feel good about yourself. A little squirt of perfume (if you have any, if not, I would gladly send you some though it may not be a full bottle, if you are in the UK that is as posting restrictions are tough) can make you feel a bit better, smelling nice is such a lovely thing.

Lastly, nine months since birth is no time at all especially if you were poorly so be kind to yourself, it can take ages to recover even if you weren't poorly. thanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 21:14:41

Wear earrings/jewellery every day too even if you are just at home. Oh and paint your toe nails, that always cheers me up,I don't feel dressed if my toe nails aren't paintedgrin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 21:15:43

Mua is great,I use it and I'm a proper make up snob!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 21:17:09

I agree about perfume / body spray.

Don't laugh but I've just rediscovered Impulsegrin cheap as chips but lasts all day and some really nice scents out atm.

pinkbear82 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:19:01

One that is really sweet of you. I tend to forget perfume as growing up couldn't wear it as mum has lots of allergies. And good tip in the make up, will get to super drug and have a look.

Dame - must dig out the jewellery box and get the earrings out.

Thank you both, thanks, you've helped me feel less crazy for even thinking about myself again

OneLittleLady Wed 12-Mar-14 21:21:53

Pink you mgiht be better looking online at MUA on the superdrug website as it sells out in store really quickly. i think superdrug do free delivery over a certain amount spent and they tend to have more stuff on the website anyway. Please let me know if you'd like me to send you a bit of perfume, it wouldn't be a full bottle as most of mine have had use but I have plenty of them and wouldn't miss one smile

You are not crazy OR selfish to be thinking about yourself, you are still a person who deserves love and attention thanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 21:52:45

I agree with everything one has postedsmile

pinkbear82 Thu 13-Mar-14 07:27:27

Thank you both. You are both lovely.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 13-Mar-14 09:06:33

The other thing that is worth looking into is finding a really good salon and seeing if they have student nights. You'll tend to get a stylist who just needs the practice and who is a bit quicker than going to the college. That's my experience anyway. Good luck, post back later and let us know how you got on smile

pinkbear82 Fri 14-Mar-14 22:50:52

Hi wonderful people. I got my hair sorted this afternoon. Have been turfing the jewellery out and wearing, painted my toenails and got a load of sample perfumes to try out!
make up is the next agenda, spice that up a bit. And I've also done a few things to.please me rather than everyone else.

thank you again for the confidence boost, it was much needed

wispa31 Sat 15-Mar-14 07:38:16

op i could have written your post. congrats on your baby, my ds is 6mths today and has had me up since half 4.
i shall be stealing some of the ideas posted smile
dp is taking me for birthday dinner tonight and i feel like a fat frump so going to try and take some time later to do my nails and make up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now