Talk

Advanced search

Getting a glow?

(20 Posts)
AmIGoingMad Wed 12-Mar-14 16:46:53

I use double wear light with mac mineralize skinfinish. Bit have been to best coverage/ longest lasting I've found. The only this is that I feel I look a bit 'flat' for the summer- despite my love of benefit coralista.

Was thinking about trying mac natural radiance prep and prime as a base to see if that lifts me at all but its got mixed reviews.

Am I destined to be flat if I want the coverage/longevity of the double wear light and mineralize or can you suggest something?!

AmIGoingMad Wed 12-Mar-14 19:52:08

Sorry for typos- on phone!

Piscivorus Wed 12-Mar-14 19:58:10

I struggle with the same thing so will watch with interest. I have some dark blotches (sun damage?) that show through most foundations but find doublewear too matt and flat.

I have this week tried a sample of Vichy Dermablend and, although it was brighter than the DW it went very powdery and I felt it accentuated my wrinkles fine lines around my mouth sad

bewleysisters Wed 12-Mar-14 20:16:46

How about Elemis pro-radiance balm: either used as an illuminating primer, or mixed in with DW, or even as highlighter? I'd also recommend Bobbi Brown's illuminating bronzing powder in Aruba for a subtle 3D glow.

AmIGoingMad Wed 12-Mar-14 22:04:41

Hmm... Hadn't heard of the elemis one. Was wondering if a primer could do the trick but was unsure as dw light really seems to cover well iyswim

Dontlaugh Wed 12-Mar-14 22:14:33

Am currently trialling Lancôme genifique serum, followed by dermalogica primer (fab stuff), then Lancôme Teint Miracle.
Lots of compliments and only trying 2 weeks.

AmIGoingMad Wed 12-Mar-14 22:35:12

Oo let me know how that goes! It sounds pricy but if it works...!

Piscivorus Thu 13-Mar-14 00:03:37

Dontlaugh I used Genefique in the morning and Visionnaire at night for a full year but am not convinced it did anything stunning. I also tried the Visionnaire foundation but, unfortunately I was between shades and even the consultant could not find one that was right on me confused

I am currently using a Smashbox primer and am not terribly impressed with that either, I'm thinking of trying the Lanacane anti-chafe gel someone on here recommended

AmIGoingMad Thu 13-Mar-14 07:04:40

I used smash box a while back. I think I remember quite liking it as a primer but it didn't do anything for radiance.

FrugalFashionista Thu 13-Mar-14 07:54:07

Mineral makeup. As a long-term full coverage foundation user I thought there was no way I would ever have a glow ('glowy' liquid foundations just looked sweaty and went patchy by midday) but now I have a glow and my skin looks flawless. Lily Lolo, sample jars are super cheap so if it doesn't deliver you've not invested much. Oh and I get about 15 hours of wear out of mineral...

southeastastra Thu 13-Mar-14 08:07:19

mac stobe? do you want to glow all over, if so why? grin

FrugalFashionista Thu 13-Mar-14 08:09:46

I tested primers before switching to mineral. If you have oily skin or large pores, primers can help a lot. On me (dry skin), the heavy layer of silicones felt like shrinkwrapping my skin in plastic (Smashbox). I tried Genifique too but I just remember that I was heavily perfumed and possibly a tad greasy. Wasn't impressed. I'm adult acne prone and if I wear less slap, I have fewer breakouts. My skin has improved a lot after switching to mineral and now I get away with one or two very sheer layers of mineral foundation - a revelation after a lifetime of full-cover foundations.

Piscivorus Thu 13-Mar-14 10:38:05

I like the look of mineral foundations but they just haven't got enough coverage for me. Trouble is, I suspect I am being unrealistic, I'm 54 and I want a reasonably priced tube of something that makes my skin look glowy, flawless and 25 again. Any suggestions? grin

FrugalFashionista Thu 13-Mar-14 11:16:30

Piscivorus I combine mineral foundation with mineral concealer - the coverage is fantastic and it cancels out redness and a few blemishes and gives an airbrushed look. There is nothing wrong with the texture of my skin yet - it's the discolorations and blemishes that I want to cancel out.

My MIL who is 70+ gets the same results with Estee Lauder Daywear products (iirc she loves Daywear Plus) so those might be worth a try. She has wrinkles, of course, but she looks healthy and radiant and not a day over 50. (Hope DDs got some of her genes wink)

AmIGoingMad Thu 13-Mar-14 21:03:16

Not glow all over nogrin. I just would like to look less 'flat' all over! Some sort of fake radiance is what I'm after really!grin

I've just seen that double wear now do an 'all day glow bb' and am thinking about giving it a try.

Maybe I just need to learn how highlighters work?!

TheJumped Thu 13-Mar-14 21:45:32

Have you tried YSL Touché Éclat foundation? It's medium coverage and very glowy but not at all greasy or shiny. Or head to a Lancôme counter and try out their foundations.

missisboot Thu 13-Mar-14 21:49:14

Have you seen the estee Lauder double wear all day glow?

I haven't tried it but it might be worth hunting out as it sounds like what you're looking for.

missisboot Thu 13-Mar-14 21:50:31

Ignore that post - just saw you'd mentioned it!

Dontlaugh Thu 13-Mar-14 22:02:14

Pisc, I need the same as you in a tube, unfortunately I can't afford Botox (I just want a smidge, nothing too Towie) so I am trying everything I can for now. I agree with you re Genefique, it does very little really, bit I got literally 6 sample tubes (equivalent to a full bottle! £££) so I'm lashing it on. It plumps and gives the primer something to hang onto. Liking it but not sure I'd buy it. Anyone see the Sunday times last weekend? Mary Greenwell did something to a journo and she looked amazing, but what stuck in my head was Greenwell's insistence on serum and primer, we can't have enough apparently.

AmIGoingMad Fri 14-Mar-14 08:20:38

I've taken the plunge and ordered the double wear all day glow and highlighter.

I've also had a look at lily lolo and think I might get one of their sample kits. They're not pricey and if it works that can be my beauty purchase for next month!

Can anyone explain how to use a highlighter btw? I'm clueless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now