Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to leggings but smarter

(17 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 12-Mar-14 14:05:48

I like to wear a nice top for evening out, sometimes with skinny jeans but I prefer black on my bottom half.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some sort of fitted black trousers that are smarter than leggings?

Cocolepew Wed 12-Mar-14 14:08:20

Sainsbury's and, H &M have nice cigarette type trousers in at the moment. Only seen them hanging up though ..

Dancergirl Wed 12-Mar-14 14:17:09

Are they actually trousers though? I like the fit and feel of leggings, it's just cotton/lycra isn't very smart!

Cocolepew Wed 12-Mar-14 14:24:52

Yes they are.

TheWiseOldElf Wed 12-Mar-14 15:41:38

I have these which I bought as a smart alternative to leggings. They've gone up in price since I got them though and they're dry clean only which isn't ideal. Jigsaw do a similar style as well but the price is similar. The fabric is ponte which is what makes them a bit more structured and smarter. I think M&S and Next both did ponte leggings in the autumn/winter if you want a less pricey version. Not sure if they're still around now.

Alternatively Topshop have a reasonable selection of treggings which I haven't tried personally but are meant to be a mix of trouser and leggings and I presume therefore smarter.

Or you could go for a good quality pair of leggings? People seem to speak very highly of Boden leggings on here.

Funnyfoot Wed 12-Mar-14 15:50:36

I was the same OP.

For a smarter alternative I wear These

They come in all kinds of colours and fabrics.

OhTheDrama Wed 12-Mar-14 18:46:26

What about these?

ErrolTheDragon Wed 12-Mar-14 18:55:28

>sometimes with skinny jeans but I prefer black on my bottom half.

why not black skinny jeans then (my DD's lower half of choice at the moment)

AllFurCoat Wed 12-Mar-14 19:08:17

I've got some black jeans from topshop, they're Leigh ones. They feel just like leggings and are so comfortable, but look smarter and more like jeans. They're about £40, but well worth it - I look shocking in normal black trousers, but I love how these look! They're smart enough for me to wear to work!

TheJumped Wed 12-Mar-14 19:34:03

Black skinnies!

I have some from Primark and pretty much always wear them for a night out. I do need a new pair though, they've lasted brilliantly, no bagging but they've faded a bit and for £7 I won't be faffing around dyeing them. Add high heels from M and S in various colours, and whatever top and necklace I've recently bought.

However - I have also bought M and S 5 pocket jeggings in a dark indigo denim, and I suspect they might be my new go-to dark skinnyfying bottom half, they're amazing. Highly, highly, recommend. Just perfect dark superskinnies, my holy grail and I've tried everything in Selfridges denim clinic thingy.

BodminPill Wed 12-Mar-14 20:22:12

You need THESE ULTRA Skinny Pants from Gap

Super stretchy like leggings, but much thicker fabric and seamed like trousers (in fact have a seam down the back for interest) and are suuuuper comfy. I have 2 pairs.

Dancergirl Wed 12-Mar-14 20:38:15

I like those bodmin how does the length come up? I normally go for petite but they haven't got my size! Wondering whether to try the regular length.

angeltulips Wed 12-Mar-14 20:40:17

Acne do excellent skinny trousers in lots of different fabrics - I have a black woollen pair with a side zip and ankle zips, and a royal blue cotton pair w a side zip

Also look at wax coated jeans - loads about at the moment and they look v smart.

DavenotChas Wed 12-Mar-14 21:30:11

these?
25% off with code DPFW25

BodminPill Thu 13-Mar-14 05:48:56

I'd say that they are cropped. I'm 5'7" and the regular length hits above my ankle. Prob about 28" inside leg.

emsyj Thu 13-Mar-14 08:34:02

I've got the Dorothy Perkins superskinny trousers - they're great. And only £20! I wear them with a nice top for the evening too. They are totally stretchy and fitted like leggings, but made from a different fabric (bengaline I think?) and have a waistband with belt loops.

Dancergirl Thu 13-Mar-14 09:20:27

Thanks all, great suggestions! Spoilt for choice now. Like the DP ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now