Talk

Advanced search

Face wash for teenage dd

(21 Posts)
BiscuitsandBaileys Wed 12-Mar-14 11:13:51

I'm looking for recommendations please for a face wash for my 14yr old dd who has started to get a few spots. She has been using a Garnier one which doesn't seem to have helped, and I also got her a witch hazel spot stick.

The thing is she has very mild excema and so gets a dry face (it doesn't look dry, just feels it) and uses a moisturiser from the doctor, so I guess she needs something that won't dry her face or irritate her skin.

Thanks smile

Nocomet Wed 12-Mar-14 11:21:35

DD2(13) has the simple kind to skin moisturising one.

She says DD1's clearasil ultra rapid gel is drying.

If she gets spots she may find she needs to use the medicated sort once or twice a week and something less harsh the rest of the time.

BiscuitsandBaileys Wed 12-Mar-14 12:05:04

Thanks nocomet that's a good idea about using a different one a couple of times a week.

BiscuitsandBaileys Wed 12-Mar-14 20:47:41

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

SuckItAndSee Wed 12-Mar-14 20:52:51

I have dry skin, and spots - lucky me
<thanks, PCOS>

I have had some success recently using cetaphil cleanser, putting clearasil ultra on any spots, and then neutrogena oil-free moisturiser. Am definitely less spotty than normal.

If over the counter stuff doesn't work, do take her to the GP. My acne always cleared up with 2-3 cycles on the combined pill, although I can no longer take this due to migraines.

Bonsoir Wed 12-Mar-14 20:56:07

Avene Cleanance is the French pharmacy classic for teenage skin and a bestseller/market leader.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 12-Mar-14 20:57:29

Lush Angels on Bare Skin. Slightly scrubby but very gentle and not drying.

Ujjayi Wed 12-Mar-14 20:58:21

Another vote for Simple. My DS has a few spots (not acne just the usual hormonal breakouts) and eczema. He uses the face wash & the moisturising lotion. He also uses a weekly face mask which has made a big difference.

chicaguapa Wed 12-Mar-14 21:00:57

DD uses the hot cleansing Superdrug one. I find exfoliating everyday is really helping her skin.

BiscuitsandBaileys Wed 12-Mar-14 21:06:01

Lots of ideas to look into, thank you smile

thepurplepenguin Wed 12-Mar-14 21:29:32

I have dry but occasionally spotty skin. Currently I am using dove soap to cleanse and then eucerin moisturiser. I also use quinoderm cream every other day on the areas that are most prone to spots, and every day on any actual spots. At the moment my skin is totally clear and soft, best it's looked for ages...

Fozzleyplum Wed 12-Mar-14 22:14:07

Have given DS (nearly 13) some Superdrug hot cloth cleanser (the green one). It smells fresh and using the cloth exfoliates. DS does not yet have spots, but his skin was beginning to look a bit bumpy, as if it needed exfoliating. He occasionally gets dry skin and eczema, so I'm getting him some Steam Cream for that. Some of the tin designs are suitable for boys (eg Union Flag).

thornrose Wed 12-Mar-14 22:18:18

I can't recommend a face wash but dd 14 swears by Neutrogena Visibly Clear Rapid Clear treatment for spots. You dab it on and it clears them up really quickly. I've tried it too, it's very effective.

singaporeswing Thu 13-Mar-14 13:33:25

Nothing that foams, just too harsh on the skin.

Hot cloth cleansers are great on young skin as long as she isn't scrubbing with the cloth.

body shop tea tree foaming cleanse wash is good for DS2 so does the nutrogena two in one wash its white and chalky and can be left on as a mask too.

BiscuitsandBaileys Sun 16-Mar-14 11:26:19

Sorry to sound dumb but what are hot cloth cleansers?

its just a microfibre cloth or muslin soaked in hot water to use to wipe off the cleansing lotion / cream gives a lovely clean feel.

BiscuitsandBaileys Sun 16-Mar-14 17:36:02

Ah okay thanks, someone mentioned the Superdrug hot cloth cleanser and I wasn't sure what it was. So she could use this without any face wash or is that not enough?
Sorry for all the questions it's just that all this is new to me as I've always had excema and dry skin so I'm pretty clueless!

goodasitgets Sun 16-Mar-14 17:37:00

Agree with the nothing that foams
Any form of cleansing balm will work, remove with hot flannel

goodasitgets Sun 16-Mar-14 17:37:57

This is a good read
www.carolinehirons.com/2012/05/acne-cheat-sheet.html?m=1

BiscuitsandBaileys Sun 16-Mar-14 17:49:51

Thanks for that goodas, looks interesting. I'll have a proper read of that later smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now