Talk

Advanced search

Monsoon - y/n?

(8 Posts)
fridgepants Tue 11-Mar-14 16:55:48

I used to love it when I could first afford to shop there in the sales back 2004/05 - silk, pretty patterns, interesting designs that flattered my hourglass shape. The 'occasion' dresses were lovely, if out of my price range, and I'd often get my work wardrobe for the season in their sale. Over the past couple of years, though, it's really gone downhill. Dresses are the same price, but made of very thin poly jersey - the kind that stretches white when you pull it on - and everything seems very shapeless and cheap. I don't want to pay £55+ for something that will last three washes. Is it just symptomatic of fabric and manufacturing getting more expensive, my imagination, or what?

ggirl Tue 11-Mar-14 17:00:39

I quite often have a browse in there but never buy anything. I don't need work clothes so an often looking for smart casual tops etc and yes they are over priced for what they are.
They have member of staff standing and greeting at the door which annoys me as well

CadiM Tue 11-Mar-14 17:16:45

I used to love their stuff but I find very few items appealing to me now: too many shapeless, patchwork "bohemian" tunics in low quality viscose. I did buy a viscose top there that was very flattering but shrunk badly in the wash.

BoJolly Tue 11-Mar-14 17:21:15

I agree with everything CadiM said. I used to love Monsoon and have really good quality dresses and skirts that I bought years ago. They are well made and the material is lovely.

I struggle to find anything nowadays that doesn't look like I could get the same on the market.

BoJolly Tue 11-Mar-14 17:22:25

I feel it is fair to add that the same is true for a number of stores/brands.

Wallis being another example.

Laska42 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:32:29

I still find some things in Monsoon but lots of things are just plain weird..

However, this season I think is a bit better than the last few have been .. I last bought this in red which is lovely ( sadly i paid full price a while ago but have worn it loads) and I have just ordered this jacket which I saw in the shop today .. is lovely especially for this time of year but they didnt have it in my size so glad they have online )
I think this is nice in RL and I might get it and quite fancy this for my holiday ..

Laska42 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:35:45

Boden has got really dissapointing and bad value overthe last few years.. I still like White Stuff and fat face though ( but maybe i'm just a bit of an oldie)

vix1980 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:35:23

I love monsoon clothes, moreso the dresses and tops, But i just cant justify paying the full price for something when I know in a month or 2 it will be on sale in there outlet store, so now I only ever shop there when I go outlet shopping. I often spend around £50 on 3/4 tops that i would have paid near £150 full price.

Just dont understand why they go in the sale so quickly and if anyone ever falls for paying full price for them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now