Talk

Advanced search

Lighthearted: Based on the older women around you, is good ageing down to lifestyle or genes do you think?

(14 Posts)
naturelover Tue 11-Mar-14 12:43:15

I'm hoping it's lifestyle, because mine is good!

My mother has always had a good diet and been active, but equally she used to smoke and enjoys the sun. She looks good for her age.

One of my grandmothers never smoked or drank, always moisturised, and had fab skin (quite plump which might have helped).

My other grandmother smoked and drank, and went in the sun, and was very thin, and she was definitely more wrinkled.

As a non-smoking, hardly-ever-drinking, health-conscious SPF-wearer, I'm hoping to age really well. But at 40 I look my age, neither younger nor older.

What do you think?
(oh and I don't believe creams can perform miracles, though I always use SPF)

OneLittleLady Tue 11-Mar-14 12:52:34

I don't really know if it's lifestyle or just good genes. I'm 31 and often pass for 16/17. I'm plump, very petite (4' 11") I have smoked in the past but not now, I don't drink anymore, don't sunbathe and wear SPF, I have a good varied diet and walk a lot. I haven't the slightest hint of wrinkles or sagging but I know people younger than me that have had or have a similar lifestyle to me who have crows feet, forehead wrinkles and their jaws have softened already!

OddFodd Tue 11-Mar-14 12:53:08

Genes mainly although lifestyle helps. One of my sisters has never smoked, rarely drinks and never goes in the sun. She looks a lot younger than her actual age. My other sister smokes 20+ a day and has done for 30 years, doesn't drink much but does go in the sun. She looks about her age.

I'm somewhere between the two - I do look a bit younger than I really am but I've not led a blameless life grin

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 11-Mar-14 12:55:29

I'm 50, overweight, drink like a fish, am constantly told I look way younger than I am. Don't do skin care routinely, do eat very well, no junk food, just too much of the good stuff.

The women in my family who are older than me are the same. Sorry, genetics here. I take after the paternal side, my sister who is 12 months older than me takes after the maternal side and nobody would believe the age gap with photo evidence.

TheBakeryQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 12:56:18

Well I have noticed that plumper people have less wrinkles but that's because the skin is filled out. There is truth in the idea that you have to choose 'face or figure' as you get older.

I think genetics is the biggest factor but smoking/too much sun definitely ages skin too.

angeltulips Tue 11-Mar-14 13:02:27

Genes mostly - but I also have a theory that a hell of a lot more "older" women are doing Botox, peels etc than will admit it.

I suspect sleep has a LOT to do with it as well.

SundaySimmons Tue 11-Mar-14 13:11:43

Genes and stress are contributing factors in how well you age.

I also believe that being well groomed and taking care of yourself helps with the appearance of looking youthful.

Clutterbugsmum Tue 11-Mar-14 13:19:29

Genes I think.

My mum could pass for my sister, and is quite often people mistake so. Her mum my Nanny was in her late 70's when she died and was quite often mistaken for someone in her early sixties.

Both me and sister are often told we look 10 - 15yrs younger. I don't know about my dad side as his mother died when she very young.

MissScatterbrain Tue 11-Mar-14 14:09:16

I also think upbringing has a lot to do with it - with people I know, those who had frequent holidays in the sun or grew up in a hot climate, they are much more wrinklier.

squoosh Tue 11-Mar-14 14:22:35

-Genetics
-Sun exposure
-Drinking/Smoking/Stress

vichill Tue 11-Mar-14 14:38:22

I think it's genes. the women in my family all drink too much, smoke, eat crap, sunbathe never exercise and they all look younger than they are.

santamarianovella Tue 11-Mar-14 14:40:18

A mix of both, my great aunt,is in her seventies,and she looks years younger than her real age,she doesn't drink or smoke loves the sun,uses ordinary face cream Nivea I think! And eats very healthy food,It also helps that she lives a very relaxed lifestyle, in the country,lots of fresh air,and walks everywhere,

My mum is in her mid 50s and looks ok,not years younger,but still good for her age,slim,never smokes,healthy eater,but struggles with stress and lack of sleep,if she could tackle those she would look more fresh.

MadBusLady Tue 11-Mar-14 18:22:07

Genes, I has them, definitely don't deserve them! Years of smoking and drinking though I eat pretty well these days and never go in the sun. I still get ID'd from time to time.

georgesdino Tue 11-Mar-14 18:24:06

Genes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now