Talk

Advanced search

Dress me for 24 hours in London

(14 Posts)
MelanieCheeks Tue 11-Mar-14 12:20:14

Ok style gurus! I'm visiting that London this weekend - arrive Sat lunchtime, will be meeting with my 2 adult children, one of whom is working on a West End show, which I am going to see on Sat eveing. Staying with an dear old friend, and lunch next day with son to meet his new girlfriend.

I'm not taking lugagge so, I need to be able to carry everything I need in a large handbag (I have a satchel style one in a grey Orla Kiely print). Friend will have enough by way of shampoos and moisturisers, so I just need a toothbrush.

Give me some outfit suggestions please!

Mygoldfishrocks Tue 11-Mar-14 12:24:48

Well, for day wear I'd be in dark denim skinny jeans, black suede Ash trainers and a loose fitting drapey top or slim fitting striped t shirt. Long sleeved as it's still a bit chilly. I'd top this off with my fat face gilet - I've got two in either pink or navy and I'd probably plump for the navy. Bag wise, my mulberry Anthony in black.

That's pretty casual but perfect if you're traipsing about ?

Mygoldfishrocks Tue 11-Mar-14 12:25:52

Some nice silky type tops will roll up nicely in a hand bag and dark skinnies will see you from day to night

Artandco Tue 11-Mar-14 12:30:35

Dark jeans and flats. Smart casual top/ shirt x2. One to wear, one to pack. Smarter one for the first day/ eve. Add simple jewellery. Cardigan/ round neck thin wool top.

Long coat/ trench coat - it's cold still.

NigellasDealer Tue 11-Mar-14 12:32:11

A Camden Council binmens' hi viz jacket
a 1930s knitted men's bathing costume
Cowboy boots

MelanieCheeks Tue 11-Mar-14 13:09:57

I like Nigella's ideas, and own several things on that list already!

janmoomoo Tue 11-Mar-14 13:38:14

Skinny jeans and knee length boots. Wear one top saturday day and a clean one for saturday night with same jeans and boots (jeans is fine for the theatre). Statement jewellery, nice coat. Then a dress for Sunday with the same boots with tights.

Simply everyone in London is wearing knitted men's bathing costumes with hi-via at the mo so don't go with that.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 11-Mar-14 13:40:22

It's London the whole point is that you can wear whatever you want and not stand out wink

NigellasDealer Tue 11-Mar-14 13:41:28

grin

MelanieCheeks Tue 11-Mar-14 14:36:19

I considered boots - flattish ones so they're comfy for all that traipsing about on the Tube. But then it's a bit faffy to take them off at airport security.

mirpuppet Tue 11-Mar-14 14:46:03

Do you have a trench (or other coat) instead of the gilet?

specialsubject Tue 11-Mar-14 14:53:42

layers to go from outside to the ridiculously overheated buildings. No wonder this country is running out of energy when our biggest city is heated AND air-con'd, and needs neither.
walkable-in shoes for pavements, buses, the tube.
apart from that - who cares?

don't all shoes have to come off at the airport anyway?

MelanieCheeks Tue 11-Mar-14 15:11:47

So far I'm thinking:

Dark jeans
Dubarry brown leather boots.
Green Boden wrap top for day
Grey loose silky top with sparkly detail for evening
Coral pashmina wrap
Beige trench
Either brown/ multi wrap dress for Sunday, or a cream crochet top with the jeans.

Footwear - sometimes it does, sometimes not, I try to travel in shoes that are easy to take on and off, so I avoid lace-ups for instance.

Puddles1234 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:37:04

Day time: Cigarette Trousers with a casual vest or cami and a Chanel boucle jacket paired with a stiletto pump or pointed toe flats or Loafers.

Evening: You could wear the daytime outfit with stiletto pumps or maybe a cocktail dress and YSL tuxedo jacket and either stiletto pumps or barely there sandals.

Sunday Daytime: Maybe a shift dress with heels or ankle boots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now