Talk

Advanced search

Sorry I know its been done to death- interview wear

(14 Posts)
DesperateHousewife21 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:12:45

Ive got an interview on 31st March, my first for nearly 5 years (am SAHM)

I have been to the place before and everyone there wears either a suit (men) or black/ white/ neutral smart office type attire, dresses/ black trousers etc.

I have NO idea what to wear, where to start. A dress? Trouser suit? I like this jacket but what with?

Help!

Mygoldfishrocks Tue 11-Mar-14 12:15:41

Play it safe. Always best.

I'd wear some nice slim fitting black trousers and a shirt - probably white. Add a jacket and understated jewellery - plain black shoes or ankle boots.

Yes it's dull and it's not how I usually dress ( usually in Ash trainers and skinny jeans ) but neutral and smart is definitely the way to go

Good luck!

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:24:49

I dont mind dull I just dont want to go OTT on jackets etc. I like the look of black dress but all the ones I find are sleeveless so Id have to wear something over them but does it have to be a jacket?

Im stressing! I really want the job but want to feel comfortable in what Im wearing on the day.

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:27:52

this with the jacket I linked up thread, black tights and low heeled shoes?

Mygoldfishrocks Tue 11-Mar-14 12:36:03

What is the job doing ?

Yes that outfit is perfect. Dress length not too short - team it with opaque tights maybe and smart low shoes and that'll do.

Comfort is vital! I had an interview recently and wore a dark grey white company dress with a black jacket. But oh god !!! My shoes! Plain, black ballet pump style but substantial ones. And they started to hurt within five minutes. This was unfortunate as I had a tour of the place and could feel my heels rubbing and bleeding but was of course having to walk normally.

They were so bad that as soon as I got out I had to take them off to walk across the car park!

So - get the comfort right !

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:39:17

Its an administrator job part time so not overly in depth and will prob just be sitting answering questions but still, first impressions and everything!

Oh no that sounds v painful! I do have flat black pumps (worn once so great cond) Im 5"8 so dont want to make myself much taller!

I think I better have a day looking in every shop, this sort of shopping requires trying on.

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:44:31

Anyone else??

Puddles1234 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:43:16

I would wear either cigarette trousers with stiletto heeled pumps paired with a very good quality white blouse + statement necklace or pencil dress with stiletto heeled pumps.

bberry Tue 11-Mar-14 15:47:26

I would defo go smart dark suit with a plain shirt (well ironed) and smart polished shoes.... Go classic and well groomed.... Let them see you not the outfit

X

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 11-Mar-14 17:04:57

Ok Ive bought these:

dress

and

blazer

Still got to get shoes but shouldnt be a problem.

Justinepants Tue 11-Mar-14 19:26:34

That looks ideal. I'd be happy if someone turned up to an interview wearing that. Perhaps add some silver jewellery.

You need to look neat and 'pulled together', so you can give the impression that you are very organised and on the ball.

Trailing threads, scruffy bags, etc always make me think people are a bit scatty.

46direct Tue 11-Mar-14 19:31:12

Nice!

TacitusMouse Tue 11-Mar-14 20:20:25

Looks sensible. Good luck!

DesperateHousewife21 Wed 12-Mar-14 07:28:55

Thank you everyone! Its not til the 31st, just want it over with now!

Will try and let you know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now