Talk

Advanced search

DD's hair seems to be thinning at the front - any ideas?

(12 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Mon 10-Mar-14 22:53:22

My DD (7 yrs) has really thick hair but I have noticed that it is thinning at the front. It looks like there are less strands of hair. Her scalp looks fine though.

Any ideas? Feels a bit silly going to the doctor about hair.

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 10-Mar-14 22:54:20

Have you seen her puliing it? sad

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 10-Mar-14 22:56:50

One of my DDs had trichotillomania.

It took a long time to break the cycle, and it will always be bubbling under the surface.

Have a look at the NHS page.

Obviously, your DD's hair loss may not be this, but I'd be looking very carefully if it was, to tr yand catch it in its infancy.

WalkingThePlank Mon 10-Mar-14 23:11:10

I don't think she's pulling it out. I shall keep an eye out.

Devora Mon 10-Mar-14 23:18:44

I too wondered if she could be pulling it - seems very likely if it's at the front.

Have you asked her?

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 10-Mar-14 23:19:54

Have a look around her pillow, that;s where the loose hairs were with DD.

I Really hope there'sa nother reason, though.

cloudskitchen Mon 10-Mar-14 23:29:59

is she wearing it drawn back in a tight pony tail for school? could be pulling on the hairs.

Millyblods Tue 11-Mar-14 02:33:04

Sometimes it does start to thin out as they go through growth spurts and hormonal changes. My daughter was born with black hair which fell out then it was very blond and fine then when she was about 9 her hair became very thick and loads of it. When she hit puberty it became very curly and frizzy at the front. When she was about 16 it started to get finer again and that's where it has remained every since.

WalkingThePlank Tue 11-Mar-14 07:56:07

She does have it tied back for school. I don't think it is too tight.

WalkingThePlank Tue 11-Mar-14 09:56:39

I asked her on the way to school and she said that she pulls it out at the front when her hair comes out of the band and makes it untidy. She looked in a mirror and agreed that it is looking a bit thin so hopefully we have nipped this in the bud.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 11-Mar-14 10:02:30

Glad you've got it sorted, please keep an eye on it though. smile

Devora Tue 11-Mar-14 13:43:52

Ah, hopefully you have identified this early enough to nip the burgeoning habit in the bud. Best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now