Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear in the summer if you hav fat arms?

(44 Posts)
Needtochillax Mon 10-Mar-14 20:54:35

I hate my arms. They are fat. They are not in proportion to my body and are an awful shape, has been like this since I can remember.

I'm a size 14 top, 16 bottom and am at the biggest I've ever been. I'm also 29 and am a classic/casual/basic dresser. In the summer I like to wear chinos or denim shorts, basic tops with white/blue cardigans iykwim.

I'm just not sure what to do about my gigantic arms this year, I don't think I can face wearing short sleeved tees any more :-( and I can't sweat to death in cardigans all summer.

Find me some tops please! I have a very low budget!

LaTrucha Mon 10-Mar-14 21:15:19

I brave it out mostly! Dorothy Perkins do a pointelle cotton cardigan which my much richer step mother admires as 'just right' for the summer

Code 25FORYOU gets 25% off until 16th

Needtochillax Mon 10-Mar-14 21:38:07

Thanks, they look lovely and nice colours too.

They are quite nice.If you buy this week you get a £5 off voucher next week too!

bewleysisters Mon 10-Mar-14 22:04:35

Have quite a lot of loose skin on upper arms plus scarring. Find a diverting print and/or killer styling plus confidence deflects attention.

mrs14 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:10:24

What about a kimono style top as they are floaty and airy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 16:36:39

Just wear a t shirt and be comfortable and try not to focus on them so much. Honestly, I bet no one even notices except you. I think it's far odder to see people on cards on a boiling day than people with less than perfect upper arms thanks

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 11-Mar-14 16:43:11

Depends how hot it is. I'm bigger than you and in early summer I can be seen with a little cover up over my arms. As soon as it's hot like last summer I let it all hang out. I decided last year that I don't give a toss what people think any more and I'm buggered if I'm going to sit there sweltering in a jumper.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 16:45:17

Good for you Gwendoline!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Mar-14 16:46:35

I remember reading a post last year about a woman who was wearing jeans and a wooly jumper in the heatwave last year as she couldn't bear showing her arms, dear God I nearly wept for her the poor thing! sad

OneLittleLady Tue 11-Mar-14 16:49:17

Whatever I want. I still have fat arms no matter how slim the rest of me is so I've given up caring. As long as I look decent otherwise, I just don't care anymore smile

JeffCourgette Tue 11-Mar-14 16:59:36

Marks and Spencer seem to have quite a few T - shirts with sleeves to just above the elbow - might be worth a look.

RiverTam Tue 11-Mar-14 17:04:28

I feel your pain and yesterday I realised I have a summer wedding coming up!!! Yikes. Mine are flabby but also the skin is very bumpy and they're all a bit mottled.

Those DP cardies look nice.

Perspective21 Tue 11-Mar-14 17:05:32

On warm days that aren't boiling hot, what about crisp cotton shirts with sleeves loosely rolled to elbow length? The cotton is very cooling and Sainsburys usually do a couple of colours at least. I have also had linen effect ( a bit less linen in them) from Asda posher range ( can't remember the name but they display it almost as work wear) and they are very comfy and nice and flappy without being voluminous!

Perspective21 Tue 11-Mar-14 17:07:10

I would also bet Primark do cotton shirts too.

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 11-Mar-14 17:08:19

I wear sleeveless dresses but have grown my hair really long and this helps cover up my arms. I also wear quite big pretty necklaces to try and take attention away from the arms situation. I do have one sparkly short sleeve bolero cardi but actually feel worse with that on, it just feels like to many layers. Next do tops that are a bit like a short sleeve blouson gypsy blouse that despite having a short sleeve are mega cool on all but boiling days.

Millyblods Tue 11-Mar-14 18:12:51

What about doing some weights with your arms to tone them up so they are not so wobbly. Im doing that at the moment.

floofyapogo Tue 11-Mar-14 19:16:55

Those cardigans are hideous, really awful.

Cropped cardis with 3/4 sleeves if you have to wear something over a maxi dress maybe? I have fattish upper arms too but I think that the people saying you notice it more yourself and/or wearing clothes that are too hot for the weather is more obvious, are spot on.

Someone said to me recently that very few people notice you, they're too busy thinking about themselves, and they're right . . . I criticise me in a way I never would others.

floofyapogo Tue 11-Mar-14 19:18:50

www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/clothing-203535/knitwear-203563/cardigans-1700873/petites-crew-neck-cardigan-2623777?refinements=category~%5b212150%7c208654%5d&bi=1&ps=200

This one is OK, but I'd look for something even more cropped; and make sure you don't fall into the 'I'll get a bigger size and it'll make me look thinner' trap . . .

floofyapogo Tue 11-Mar-14 19:22:23

£15 at Great Plains:

www.greatplains.co.uk/product/20+And+Under/J8BF9/Shy+Knits+One+Button+Cardigan.htm

floofyapogo Tue 11-Mar-14 19:23:47

Even cheaper:

www.greatplains.co.uk/product/20+And+Under/J8AAC/Lille+V-Neck+Cardigan.htm

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 11-Mar-14 19:29:34

I'm not sure that a cardigan is the answer. Check out Next for short sleeve loose tops, the ones with elasticated bottoms are good for size 14/16 figures. They are not too long but cover your tummy and would go with chinos and denim shorts. You could also look for Next tops on Ebay.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 11-Mar-14 19:49:16

next vest tops in tee shirt material
with
cropped s/sleeve cardis

also indian style thin tunic tops are cool

hollyangel Tue 11-Mar-14 20:05:58

Have a look at some of the following New Look kimonos

http://m.newlook.com/application/product/list?cat=cat2850011

Pick the main colour from the kimono and match a plain cotton vest to it. Looks great with jeans and not that warm either, but covers the dreaded upper arms!

floofyapogo Tue 11-Mar-14 20:06:55

Yes to kimonos rather than those elasticated waist bubble tops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now