Talk

Advanced search

waxing - red and sore!

(9 Posts)
MzPixielated Mon 10-Mar-14 12:03:50

In need of mumsnet advice!
I'm due to get my eyebrows done tomorrow. I have them waxed once a month because it really makes a huge difference and I cant be trusted with tweezers.
only problem is it leaves the skin around my brows bright red and the next day scaly type sores.
my skin is incredibly dry, I peel like a lizardblush.
when I moisturise my skin sucks it all up in ten minutes and its back to being its usual dry self.
is there something I should be doing to prepare for waxing?

TravelinColour Mon 10-Mar-14 12:07:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Xfirefly Mon 10-Mar-14 12:29:27

hello, I do waxing and this isnt right. could be a number of factors:

Wax is too hot? the skin in this area is thin and sensitive so shouldn't be too hot.
The therapist isn't stretching the skin enough when removing the strip? when you don't stretch the skin enough in sensitive areas such as this, lip, underarm or bikini you can become extremely irritated and scabby.
Irritated by the type of wax used?
make sure to put aloe very on the 'bruised area'.

it happened to my mum when I was training blush. I didn't stretch the area enough...and she had 'looser' skin there. it healed in a couple of days.

Xfirefly Mon 10-Mar-14 12:30:33

also the therapist should fully cleanse the area before waxing.

pootlebug Mon 10-Mar-14 12:31:41

I find that I am intolerant to most wax used. It is the wax rather than the hair removal that causes redness for me - if I epilate my legs and get my eyebrows threaded, I'm fine.

MzPixielated Tue 11-Mar-14 21:00:21

Thanks X
I just thought my skin is very sensitive and afterwards she puts makeup on the red bits and I usually have to watch what makeup I use.
No she hardly stretches the skin at all either..
I was told to stay away from threading as they just do one shape for everyone and it's more painful.

Perhaps a different waxer?

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 11-Mar-14 21:24:24

Threading gives you a more natural & individual eyebrow shape than waxing does. As it is adapted to the shape of each persons face whereas I find waxing gives a more uniform, standard shape.

The pain is about similar to having your brows waxed but it lasts a bit longer so it appears to be more painful iyswim. Put a cold ice pack on your eye area to reduce the swelling.

Megbeth Wed 12-Mar-14 02:27:24

I'm a beauty therapist. It sounds like the wax is too hot or they are going over the same area a few times. A pre wax lotion & after wax lotion should be used. No make up should be applied for 24 hrs after. The follicle is at risk of infection so an after wax lotion will be soothing & containing tea tree oil or an anti septic. I have found that people who have had threading done the area comes up very red after & I don't think they put on a soothing/antiseptic lotion after.

MzPixielated Wed 12-Mar-14 14:38:22

oh ok in that case I'll have them threaded instead!
I thought the sores weren't right, ive been paying through the nose aswell as I go to the benefit brow bar to get them done.
smile cheers everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now