Talk

Advanced search

Best underwear to buy for a posh frock which will hold in a mum tum!!

(16 Posts)
Snappyteabread Mon 10-Mar-14 10:59:15

Not yet sure what dress I'll wear but looking to buy some cheap underwear to hold in my tummy which these days starts from below my boobs, and makes me look about 16 weeks pregnant - Spanx type but cheap. What would people recommend? Is there a tummy holder in pants or waist band thing? Anything from marks and spencer or better still somewhere more at the primark end of the market? I'm size 10-12.

Puddles1234 Mon 10-Mar-14 11:34:29

It has to be Spanx there is no comparison. Spanx are cheap at approx £30.00 and they will last you ages if you wash them correctly.

CMOTDibbler Mon 10-Mar-14 11:36:12

I swear by the M&S wear your own bra control slips - really do the job with no lines where they end and no loo issues

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 10-Mar-14 11:38:10

I wear a control slip: mine came from TKMaxx and works beautifully.

olympicsrock Mon 10-Mar-14 11:40:46

I also like the M&S control slips, wear with their light control waist high pants and a pair of secret support tights. Comfortable, no lines and easy to move around in.

SirChenjin Mon 10-Mar-14 11:40:58

I've tried a few, inc M&S - not Spanx, because £30 seems pricey to me - and the best pair I have are from Aldi of all places! They are the high waist/low leg type thing, and have a sort of thin rubbery strip to keep the waistband in place - which is brilliant. I find the slips just ride up when you sit down, as do the control vests - so maybe the body or high waist/low leg thing might be worth a look?

KatoPotato Mon 10-Mar-14 11:41:34

Marks and Spencer - These are the best

I've had spanx, primark and everything in between. I tried on every pair in M&S - no exaggeration - and I cannot fault these, they also lift your bum and don't cause organ pain! i'm 10-12 and went for the 10.

LilyRose88 Mon 10-Mar-14 12:27:35

I find that the control slips that allow you to wear your own bra work better for me than the cycling short Spanx-type control things, and I have tried a lot of different brands. The slips give me a clean line underneath a dress, and they don't roll down, unlike the cycling shorts which seem to creep down from the top, regardless of which size I buy. Even the ones that are supposed to fit under your bra seem to wriggle free and head south on me!

bunnymother Mon 10-Mar-14 12:30:22

H&M do them, too. I just bought the big knickers in a M (I'm a small size 10), as the S were going to roll down. If I was getting the slip I'd get the S.

Damnautocorrect Mon 10-Mar-14 12:40:21

I'm a fan of spanx, butttt do make sure what it's squishing doesn't pop out at the top or bottom. I've some dresses I look worse with spanx underneath than without.
I bought a corset thing but it rolled up and looked awful!

TheDayOfMyDoctor Mon 10-Mar-14 12:53:11

Those of you with the M&S wear your own bra control slips -how does the sizing come up?

CMOTDibbler Mon 10-Mar-14 13:13:26

I think the sizing is true

LilyRose88 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:41:10

I agree that the M&S control slips are true to size. They do feel pretty tight but not so uncomfortable that you can't breath!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 10-Mar-14 18:13:07

I'd you really really want to be held in then I cannot recommend the underwear from What Katie Did. It had something called powermesh which winches you in but without giving you the extra tool of flag that spanx does. I wore one of her under bust girdles at my birthday party recently and it gave me a proper waist and was amazingly comfortable. I am in awe of her products!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 10-Mar-14 18:14:07

aaah typo , cannot recommend her underwear enough!!
typing on phone....

TheDayOfMyDoctor Wed 12-Mar-14 20:18:19

Thanks - will try a control slip. Have a posh do coming up and don't really want to wear my spanx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now