Talk

Advanced search

Are those mock shirt under jumper things considered naff or ok?

(26 Posts)
MichonnesSamuraiSword Sun 09-Mar-14 22:29:20

I have a job interview next week. I struggle to find 'smart' clothing, and have failed miserably to buy anything acceptable to go with black trousers. The office style is casual, so I won't be expected to be super smart.

I saw this type of thing in my local Debenhams -

Jumper with mock shirt

What are people's opinions on these? Are they ok, or considered naff?

Grockle Sun 09-Mar-14 22:33:05

I don't like them but that's just me. I don't like things that look like one thing but are something different - it's not a jumper or a shirt. What is it? confused

I realise this is unhelpful and I have ishoos blush

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 09-Mar-14 22:33:08

I personally wouldn't wear one, but I think on older women they are ok. I am 32 and could imagine my mother and her other public sector colleagues wearing one.

sassytheFIRST Sun 09-Mar-14 22:34:56

Super naff.

Either a shirt or a top and a jacket, ideally, or a cardi/jumper if not. But real clothes. Those fake ones look awful, and like you don't know how to dress yourself so needed help grin

HyvaPaiva Sun 09-Mar-14 22:35:57

Awful, sorry!

MichonnesSamuraiSword Sun 09-Mar-14 22:38:04

I thought as much! Thanks for being honest.

I'm in my 30s so prob not a good look.

I'm just desperate for something smart for next week, why do I hate everything in my local shops?!

LadyStark Sun 09-Mar-14 22:39:13

Sorry, they're completely naff.

What about a dress and blazer?

FrugalFashionista Sun 09-Mar-14 22:39:38

People have started wearing mock collars again, but I think ironically. Examples here and here. Can be cheesier than Velveeta though...

rockybalboa Sun 09-Mar-14 22:40:52

Hiiiiiiiiiideous!! Sorry! Hope you find something you like.

MichonnesSamuraiSword Sun 09-Mar-14 22:46:58

No worries, I appreciate the honesty - and I haven't bought one yet, was just casting my ideas about in desperation.

A dress would be fab, but it's really not that kind of office, so I'd stand out a mile. I'm going for smart black trousers, smart boots, and a plain jumper with a scarf I think.

Tried to find something more stylish, but failed miserably. I detest shopping.

I'd love a nice smart/casual blazer, but didn't see anything suitable in the shops. I literally hate everything that Debenhams, Next and New Look have to offer, and they are the only clothes shops near me.

RonaldMcDonald Sun 09-Mar-14 22:48:41

Replace scarf with ubiquitous statement necklace?

GiniCooper Sun 09-Mar-14 22:50:29

God no, sorry.
My mother is in her 70's and wouldn't wear one.

I wouldn't have thought anyone under 60 would wear that Maine brand TBH.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Mar-14 22:50:47

Look online at Banana Republic and get a fitted shirt and cardigan to go over the top

TM Lewin also do good fitted shirts. That jumper combo you linked to is one of the most dreadful things I've seen on here - even the model looks like she's cringing

magentastardust Sun 09-Mar-14 22:55:15

I would still dress pretty smart for an interview unless you are extremely confident about it being a casual office. You can be more casual once you work there and suss out what everyone else is wearing.
We have a casual dress policy in our office (unless you have client facing meetings) however I would still expect someone coming for an interview to dress in full on smart office attire -first impressions and all that.

Do you have a Tesco near you-their office wear has improved recently and there are some nice shirts, dresses and work type clothes? I haven't looked in Next recently , they seem to be a bit frumpy nowadays but they normally are quite good for office wear staples?

sleepdodger Sun 09-Mar-14 23:31:23

They're awful
Just wear a nice fine knit top or a shirt

sleepdodger Sun 09-Mar-14 23:32:08

Posted too soon
Wear a dress you could dress down after over jeans etc?

17leftfeet Sun 09-Mar-14 23:42:17

My mother has several -she's 65!

VarsityQueen Mon 10-Mar-14 08:45:42

They can be good for larger busts where you don't want the bulk that can come with layering.

This one is a better version of that sort of thing www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_120010200809_-1

coffeeinbed Mon 10-Mar-14 08:48:19

No!
they will start moving and bunching up and will be squirming and uncomfortable.
A thin silk scarf, so as not to add bulk.

MissScatterbrain Mon 10-Mar-14 08:49:28

I interview people and I would expect them to wear suits/jackets even if the office is smart casual. Someone turning up wearing a jumper would not impress us. Try and borrow a jacket if you can.

elQuintoConyo Mon 10-Mar-14 08:55:36

Nafforama. Sorry thanks brew

specialsubject Mon 10-Mar-14 09:46:31

most offices are grossly overheated. You need a jumper that you can take off, you would sweat all day in that!

I agree - no need for a designer suit but you can't go wrong at an interview with black trousers, a shirt or smart top that fits (not skin tight, not gaping over boobs) and a jacket.

good luck!

MichonnesSamuraiSword Tue 11-Mar-14 10:48:21

Thanks everyone - no offence taken, glad I checked with you all before panic buying!

I'm still no closer to finding the right outfit, I just hate everything I already have and just wanted to feel stylish and confident. But I'll probably end up going with frumpy and boring again.

Tescos is my last option...

chainedtothedesk Tue 11-Mar-14 10:53:47

What puts me off is if it gets really hot and you're sat with a 'jumper' over your shirt and a pink face. Everyone wondering why you're not taking off your jumper as you're clearly boiling and you then have to admit that its all sewn together.

Perfect for cold offices when you can't be bothered finding a matching top or ironing it.

Agree with others it prob more suited to a 'mature' lady!

mrsnec Tue 11-Mar-14 11:00:11

I had one and wore it all the time when I worked in an office until I saw Hayley Cropper on corrie wearing the same one. Never wore one since. Very practical though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now