Talk

Advanced search

Skinny Jeans for ample thighs

(54 Posts)
Elfina Sun 09-Mar-14 20:13:23

Big hips and small waist (10" difference between the two!) - any recommendations? Am bloody sick of bootcut!

emsyj Sun 09-Mar-14 20:16:43

New Look high waist skinnies have a proportionately smallish waist (I'm the same shape - big thighs but small(ish) waist). Also Dorothy Perkins high waist skinny jeans and high waist jeggings (can you spot the theme...?? wink - High waist is the only fit that works for me). I never find that expensive jeans fit - I've given up trying now.

StrawberryCheese Sun 09-Mar-14 20:17:17

I have two pairs of skinny jeans from Zara and I have 14" difference between my waist and hips. I've had them about a year and they still fit well, haven't stretched around the waist too much.

earlyriser Sun 09-Mar-14 20:22:19

Wallis also do skinny jeans which are high waisted and generously cut on the thigh/hips.

Financeprincess Sun 09-Mar-14 20:34:02

Please don't be offended, OP, but I wouldn't advise skinny jeans for the ample of thigh. Go ahead if you like, but in my opinion they aren't flattering unless your legs are slim.

CockBollocks Sun 09-Mar-14 20:37:33

Next relaxed skinny - my favourites.

You can have ample thighs but still have slim legs,it's called shape and looks far better in skinnies,leggings etc than ickle straight up and down legs..

Op,I've heard New Look an DP are good for them.They'll look fine as long as you balance yourself

SorrelForbes Sun 09-Mar-14 20:45:45

I always recommend Gap high rise skinnies as they seem to suit most people. Good denim that sucks everything in! I've got an 11" difference between waist and hip and am ample if thigh and these are the most flattering I've found.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 09-Mar-14 20:47:05

Finance - it's all about what you wear with them. A longer line top or cardigan, or even some boots can balance out a larger thigh. Plus curves are often flattered by a slim silhouette.

I find a straighter cut more flattering than the calf hugging legging type skinny (which are great for tucking into boots, mind). I had a lovely pair from Gap but have worn holes in the and they're no longer available.

Mintyy Sun 09-Mar-14 20:48:32

How can you have ample thighs but still have slim legs confused?

Princessolipops Sun 09-Mar-14 20:55:18

I am more pear shaped shaped too and agree big thighs and skinnies are a match made in hell,bootcut Defo best for our figure. Although skinnies with knee highs boots sort of balances it out. My personal opinion only from being bigger on bottom half! Xx

intheround Sun 09-Mar-14 20:56:15

OP i am also in your category for shape and find slim leg or straight cut are more flattering than skinny. Surprisingly I've found M&Co to be the best shApe. The waist fits well and is higher. Lower legs are skinny enough to tuck in to knee length boots .

Elfina Sun 09-Mar-14 20:59:43

Thinking about it, I think I mean more of a straight leg? I'm a size 12 - 30" waist and 40" hips, and 5'8". , if that helps!

Elfina Sun 09-Mar-14 21:00:58

I've got loads of peg shaped trousers which look good for work, and I'm sick of looking cooler for work than I do at home grin

Because slim does not mean straight up and down Mintyy

I have about a 15" difference, and Levis bold curve (skinnies, classic rise ones) and next lift slim and shape slim leg work

emsyj Sun 09-Mar-14 21:13:31

I am pretty much exactly the same size/height as you OP! Spooky... wink

I would love a pair of giant wide-legged/flared 70s style jeans but they're just not around at the moment.

I haven't worn bootcut jeans for years - the very word 'bootcut' just conjures up an image of a super frumpy 'fleece 'n' mumboots' combo. <shudder>

pancakedayiscoming Sun 09-Mar-14 21:14:05

I have big thighs, but also big calves, and pudgy knees, am a 14 and skinnies do not suit me. I have to hide them under baggy trousers. I salute you're more shapely version of curvy hips!

Financeprincess Sun 09-Mar-14 21:39:26

'Ample' means 'plentiful' or 'abundant'. Anybody stating that their thighs are 'ample' is surely suggesting that they are on the larger side? I wouldn't interpret 'ample' in this context as meaning 'just not straight up and down or skinny or devoid of shape'.

So let's not start going off on tangents and taking offence, please. The OP can wear whatever jeans she wants, but some shapes are going to be more flattering than others.

emsyj Sun 09-Mar-14 21:42:23

The thing is though, Financeprincess, I don't think you can judge what's flattering on someone without actually seeing them try it on. I just don't personally believe in the 'Trinny & Susannah'/Gok style 'rules'. They don't work IMO. I have tried on lots of flattering skinny styles and lots of unflattering wide legs and vice versa. Cut, fabric, what you wear with it etc all factor in - so a sweeping 'Oh no, if you don't have skinny legs you should wear bootcuts' just isn't true in my experience.

Financeprincess Sun 09-Mar-14 21:46:13

As I said, twice, the OP can wear whatever she likes. However, all of the people I've seen who have large thighs and wear skinny jeans don't look their best. The jeans tend to magnify the size of the thighs. If that's what you want, fine. It's your prerogative. If you want to wear flattering clothes, choose another style.

DameBabsLoveCheese Sun 09-Mar-14 21:56:25

I disagree quite strongly with Finance. I'm fairly large of thigh but skinnies definitely work for me (with a long ish top) as my legs are long.
Any other style, even relaxed skinny, add bulk.
I've seen very many larger built ladies looking great in skinny jeans - yes, it's still possible to see they have large thighs BUT it is absolutely wrong to say the jeans don't flatter them.

emsyj Sun 09-Mar-14 21:59:53

Ooooh you're brave to disagree with Finance!!! wink Who knew skinny jeans could make someone so angry, eh?

Financeprincess Sun 09-Mar-14 22:03:08

Yes, I'm FURIOUS about skinny jeans. Incandescent with rage.

Alternatively, I might just be voicing an opinion, on a chat site, that you don't like.

I'd say with skinnies it's all about the top you wear them with. I have big thighs, but I look a hell of a lot better in skinnies than in bootlegs (which really make my thighs look big!). Proper wide legs can work, but they are very hard to get anyway, and that's before you try to find a pair that work with my hip:waist ratio. And a lot of the wide leg trousers are made of flimsy fabric so still look rubbish.

I've worn nothing but dresses and skirts for years and they still make up the bulk of my wardrobe but sometimes I just want to wear something different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now