Talk

Advanced search

Best animal friendly nail polish?

(18 Posts)
SilkStalkings Sun 09-Mar-14 19:26:07

I decided to go cruelty-free as a New Year's Resolution and have twigged I will have to replace all my make up eventually! Does anyone have any recommendations for individual products eg longest lasting nail polish?
Tiagrin

TheWomanWithTheMysteriousLump Sun 09-Mar-14 19:34:04

What do you mean by cruelty-free? And are you in the EU? The actual products you buy will not have been tested on animals if you are in Europe. However if you want to avoid buying from any company that ever tests on animals then you'd need to boycott all the big international brands because they sell in China where it's compulsory. Boots No 7 and No 17 might be OK I think.

SilkStalkings Sun 09-Mar-14 19:35:51

Yep that's what I'm after, companies that don't sell in China. Hadn't thought about Boots.shock

WholeNutt Mon 10-Mar-14 11:24:55

Barry M are cruelty free, their website has more info. Plus side is they're not expensive!

meditrina Mon 10-Mar-14 11:28:56

Beauty Without Cruelty one of the earliest non-animal cosmetics company is still goinstrong after 50 years.

(They also claim to have the only carmine-free true red lippie).

foolssilver Mon 10-Mar-14 11:34:17

I think gosh and b from superdrug are cruelty free and vegan. Liz Earle make up also is.

SilkStalkings Mon 10-Mar-14 17:46:23

Thanks forte suggestions but what are people's actual experiences of these brands? Are there any items by them that are your staples etc?
Have tried Barry M nail polish and found it goes on nicely but isn't particularly hard wearing.
Body Shop is off my list because it's owned by L'Oreal.

Innogen Mon 10-Mar-14 17:48:48

Search for Lex Croucher cruelty free on YouTube? She's very committed to cruelty free beauty, and makes youtube videos of recommendations of safe products to use!

She's very good too. Very witty.

meditrina Mon 10-Mar-14 17:51:23

I've never used BWC nail polish, but have lipsticks, face power and eyeshadow from them and all are fine.

Innogen Mon 10-Mar-14 17:57:14

Please be aware that many companies that say they are cruelty free, are not. Because they outsource some of their manufacture to companies who aren't.

You have to really do the research before you buy.

Innogen Mon 10-Mar-14 17:59:30

Here is a good intro video on how to decipher whether or not a product is cruelty free:

http://youtu.be/cjfgLBRQ6gk

SilkStalkings Mon 10-Mar-14 18:01:26

Yep, Liz Earle is owned by Avon who pay for animal testing to sell in China. The LE products may not be but it seems daft not to look up into the branches of the tree (for want f a better metaphor confused)

itsbetterthanabox Mon 10-Mar-14 18:11:52

Elf don't test have some lovely colours. Lots of glitters too!
www.eyeslipsface.co.uk

Minnieisthedevilmouse Mon 10-Mar-14 18:25:50

Spa ritual. It's vegan and free of everything. Soil association approved.

TheWomanWithTheMysteriousLump Mon 10-Mar-14 18:36:17

According to this site Rimmel seem pretty clean, and I've always found their nail varnish very good for the price. M&S are particularly good but I've not tried their colour stuff.

SilkStalkings Mon 10-Mar-14 19:12:52

Rimmel owned by Cotyhmm.

WholeNutt Tue 11-Mar-14 07:19:10

Butter London are vegan, I have a few of their polishes and have lasted well. Great range of colours too.

Pannacotta Tue 11-Mar-14 20:59:12

M&S polishes are good and Mavala also cruelty free though not sure about the China issue with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now