Talk

Advanced search

Cleansing with coconut oil - good thing or not?

(7 Posts)
WhereOWhere Sun 09-Mar-14 19:13:08

Used to use Emma Hardie cleansing balm, but it costs a fortune which I no longer have. So have been using coconut oil - giant jar from Holland and Barrett £9.

I love it - just melt a small chunk in my hands and rub it on - leave for a couple of minutes while I do something else, then wipe of with a warm wet flannel.

But I'm worried its too good to be true. Will it clog up my pores or do something dreadful to my quite ancient skin?

Also is there actually a need to use moisturiser afterwards as my skin doesn't seem at all dry?

treaclesoda Sun 09-Mar-14 20:19:30

Loads of posters on here swear by it, so I reckon if it's working for you, stick at it.

I tried it and it brought me out in horrific spots within a couple of days so I reckon you'd know all about it by now if it didn't suit your skin.

NinetyNinePercentTroll Sun 09-Mar-14 20:21:02

Not for me, my skin hates it, but if it works for you then carry on.

DomesticDisgrace Sun 09-Mar-14 20:21:42

I use it for hair and body moisturizer but it breaks me out if I use it on my face sad

NinetyNinePercentTroll Sun 09-Mar-14 20:21:45

And no to moisturiser if you don't feel like you need to. Do use sun protection though.

RunRunRuby Sun 09-Mar-14 21:15:05

It's comedogenic (pore-blocking) so it might become a problem. This list shows different oils and how likely they are to block pores, just found it by googling so no idea how accurate it is. I used coconut oil to remove my eye make up for a while but have now started using jojoba and castor instead as I am transitioning to oil cleansing. When I used the coconut oil I found that it always got in my eyes and left them blurry, luckily was just before bed so not a huge problem, but I haven't had the same problems with jojoba oil on its own or mixed with castor. I don't know if that's a problem for you though? smile

It sounds like you're doing a variant of the oil cleansing method too. I don't think you're meant to use a moisturiser when oil cleansing but you can rub on a bit of the oil afterwards as a moisturiser if you need it. I read somewhere that coconut oil has slight SPF qualities but definitely can't vouch for that being true!

RunRunRuby Sun 09-Mar-14 21:16:42

Oh yes I still use coconut oil as a body moisturiser sometimes, although might rethink that as the other day I had to wait aaaages to stop being slimy so I could get dressed! I didn't have any problems from the coconut oil apart from the eye blurriness but I suffer from rosacea so didn't want to risk aggravating that by blocking my pores smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now