Talk

Advanced search

How do you like to do you nails? And a dumb question.

(11 Posts)
callmekitten Sun 09-Mar-14 16:03:38

O.k. Dumb question first. I have always had strong nails so have never used any kind of conditioners on them. Recently, I noticed that they have begun to peel a bit so I bought some moisturizer/conditioner stuff to put on them. The package says to rub it into nails and cuticles everyday. But what if I keep my nails polished all the time? Do I still do it over polish? Or do I have to go without for a while?

Aside from what the fashions are or what the "in thing" is, how do you like to do your nails? Rounded or squarish? Long or short? Polished or not? Dark colors or light? Anything fancy?

I like mine short, just past the tips of my fingers, and rounded. I generally like light colors but will wear a darker color on my third finger with a lighter color on the others. I like the look of French tips but not the traditional colors so will sometimes do them in unusual color combinations.

MrsCosmopilite Sun 09-Mar-14 16:11:16

I'm not good with this as I've only just started wearing nail polish after about four years.

I have no idea what the fashion is, but I wear my nails reasonably short (just past the finger tip), rounded off at the tip, and go for either quite bright colours or very dark. Two weeks ago they were kingfisher blue, last week they were dark purple.

Sad git that I am, I have a board on pinterest with nail colours I like but can't afford on it.

MrsHappyBee Sun 09-Mar-14 16:44:19

I've got a Pinterest nail board too, great for inspiration, haven't tried the ombre technique, looks fabulous but sounds tricky. I keep my nails fairly short and love using glitter as it covers over my imperfect varnishing, hate removing glitter though.
I like dark colours but I'm usually disappointed as they often look black, not the colour you see in the bottle. I use good brands OPI, Nails Inc. etc but never feel totally happy with a very dark purple, green, brown etc.

Prettykitty111 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:23:15

Bee ombre is supper easy just use a really absorbent sponge. I cut a small 1cmm by 1/2cm rectangle and go easy on the varnish. Apply small bit to the sponge, blot off on a piece of tissue and sponge. Too much varnish will not blende properly so be prepared build up. You could also add a glitter layer over the top.for Christmas I did black at the tips, fading into dark grey onto white at the cuticles. Then did a couple of trees on my index fingers. Then painted a silver glitter for falling snow. V ott but so cute.

NannyK7H Sun 09-Mar-14 18:38:37

I keep mine short. Start off square but round off the edges. They are more likely to snap if they are rounded smile.
I go for dark colours or a neutral colour with one patterned nail on ring finger.
If I have a tan then I will wear a bright pink or coral smile.
And always finish with a wet look top coat!

callmekitten Sun 09-Mar-14 19:08:42

MrsHappyBee I love glitter too but usually only do one nail with it because of the trouble removing it. I've seen with large pieces of glitter but it scares me a bit.

Looks like dark colors are the most popular here. I like the look on others, but when I see it on me, it just doesn't look right to me. I think the fashion is for the extremes...either really dark (almost black, as MrsHappyBee mentioned) or very pale, pastel type colors. Don't see much in between.

So, can anyone take on my dumb question? Or are we all in the dark?

NannyK7H Sun 09-Mar-14 19:34:33

You could probably do your cuticles with polish on as you don't paint them. But would think you'd have to take polish off to do actual nail. I'm no expert though!!

NannyK7H Sun 09-Mar-14 19:36:55

Maybe a moisturising nail polish remover? I have strong nails but find cheap removers leave my nails a bit peels.

NannyK7H Sun 09-Mar-14 19:37:14

A bit peely**!

MrsCosmopilite Mon 10-Mar-14 10:02:52

I think you need to do the 'treatment' on nude nails. So a few days of no varnish, and twice daily applications would work.

BTW, I like that the OPI dark colours are almost black. I recently had their 'RoadHouse blues' on - loved it - a really inky, indigo blue. I have my eye on 'Lincoln Park after dark'.

MrsHappyBee Mon 10-Mar-14 12:58:25

The ombre method still sounds tricky to me
I'm not very good with doing fiddly things, will give it a go, can always clean it off if its a disaster.
I have Avoplex by my bed and paint it around the cuticle at night when I remember which does improve the condition of my nails.
I've got Lincoln Park After Dark and IMO doesn't look as nice on my nails as on the bottle, unless you look closely it just looks dark black and a bit dull. I end up putting glitter on top to cheer it up a bit. I think I should stick to bright rather than dark colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now