Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dermatologist for my second puberty?

(11 Posts)
CerealMom Sun 09-Mar-14 13:54:21

I'm 40
I'm super spotty
I'm hacked off

My skin was never this bad when I was a teen.
I'm v pale, so every spot shows. They're mainly around the corners of my mouth and the cystic type (sore non squeezable). Oh and the skin where the spots are is dry and flaky. When the spot finally goes I'm left with the purple/red mark for a long time after.

And recently I've been getting them on my back and neck, lots of them - big sore spots.

So, can anyone recommend a dermatologist, or anything else?
I'm in east Herts, prepared to travel.

CerealMom Sun 09-Mar-14 13:55:23

West Herts (tsk), not that it matters.

Mumelie Sun 09-Mar-14 14:51:47

Go to your GP and get some antibiotic gel - they'll be gone within a few weeks. Did this a year ago and don't get any now - wish I'd done it sooner - suffered 10 years of spots similar to yours.

lurkingaround Sun 09-Mar-14 15:01:27

No recommendations, but do go to a dermatologist. While topical stiff or oral antibiotics will clear your skin, they won't 'cure' it. Start with your GP but at the same time start the ball rolling with a referral to a derm. Cystic acne is a dermatologist issue.

coffeeinbed Sun 09-Mar-14 15:32:06


Or any gynae problems?

CerealMom Sun 09-Mar-14 17:24:01

Gynae problems - non that I know of. Anything I should be looking out for?

coffeeinbed Sun 09-Mar-14 17:26:57

Anything ovarian, it might affect your hormones and give you spots.
Can you keep a diary to see how things are though your cycle.

purplebaubles Sun 09-Mar-14 17:29:42

Defo go to the GP and ask to be referred to a dermatologist.

I had roaccutane at 34 and wouldn't hesitate to have it again in my 40's if my skin flares back up.

In my experience, you'll be just as well waiting to see the NHS dermatologists at the hospital, as going private.

Sillysarah49 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:39:42

My spots sound exactly the same and mine started about 6 months ago - and I'm nearly 50! Got diagnosed just this week with rosacea and have been prescribed some gel so am hoping this may work. Go to your GP first to ascertain whether it is acne or rocacea as the treatment is different.

FrugalFashionista Sun 09-Mar-14 22:20:36

It could be either acne, rosacea or perioral dermatitis. There three disorders are related. Seeing a dermatologist is a great idea.

I suffer from all three but right now my skin is in relatively good condition. I started a minimalist routine (washing with castile soap and water), used LRP Effaclar products and zinc nappy on the sore areas, and discontinued lipstick and lipbalm and all skincare for a while. Lipstick seems to be a major perioral dermatitis trigger for me and I also seem to acne cysts from oil-based lip balms. Hair conditioner (if it gets on your back) can also trigger acne.

I'm very pale too so know exactly what you are talking about. I get purplish and brownish scarring. The best coverup I've found is Lily Lolo mineral concealer (basically kaolin). Mineral makeup does not work for everyone but seems to suit my skin. My skin is much better now - hope you find help soon!

alexheartbeauty Mon 10-Mar-14 09:54:04

I can highly recommend Dr Sam Bunting. However she sees patients in Harley Street so that might not be practical for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: